Project Ember Tube Rolling
Feb 14, 2016 at 3:08 PM Post #1,861 of 3,354
Feb 14, 2016 at 6:00 PM Post #1,862 of 3,354
  That should work, what are teh power requirements for Dual 6j5, I think we figured out the Ember and the Starlight both handle like 1A heat current right? 
So I should be ok with teh dual 

any one have a link to the Dual 6j5 Adapter 

I also found a nice pair of Brimar 6j5gt that probably should land within your budget:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/6J5GT-close-Matched-Pair-BRIMAR-AUDIO-TUBE-VALE-NOS-TESTED-on-AVO-Mk4-VCM-/151979988904?hash=item2362b697a8:g:qc4AAOSwUuFWu8gc

Feb 15, 2016 at 4:24 AM Post #1,866 of 3,354
  Mshenay I would recommend this 6J5 Marconi, or this 6J5 Philco, which are both similar shape to the Visseaux and seem super rare. Let us know if you don't get it, so one of us can try it.

If by 'similar shape' you mean ST (coke bottle shape envelope) then these pairs are similar to the Visseaux.

Please look carefully at the internal structure: plates, mica'a and 1 with a support rod and 1 w/o on the pair of Philco's. The Visseaux (and likely UK Marconi branded Tungsram) plates are round (oval) and the Philco's are flat. The mica spacers are not the same on this Philco pair. I don't know if we have enough samples to say plate shape (or vintage) matter or do not. Am I a fan of round and oval plates in tubes? Yep! Are all round and oval plate tubes great? Likely not but the best tubes I have personally used of the 6SN7 type (6J5, 6F8, and 6SN7) have all had round or oval plates!

I suppose time will tell what matters. 

If buying a pair of tubes to be used as a pair, I prefer a similar structure in each tube of that pair.

YMMV

Feb 15, 2016 at 4:39 AM Post #1,867 of 3,354
I'm not necessarily saying those tube suggestions were directly comparable to the Visseaux, just that they have a similar form factor, width-wise, so perhaps they would also have a big soundstage. Trial & error is what tube rolling is all about, and the results just may be better than expected, especially when being the first to try it

Feb 15, 2016 at 4:42 AM Post #1,868 of 3,354
If someones got a bit of extra cash on hand and wants to be a bit adventurous I found Mazda 76 tubes for sale here.

Adapter can be found here.

I would try them myself but I've spent enough for now, I've got the Visseaux's incoming. 
tongue_smile.gif
 They should be with me in a couple of weeks.

Feb 15, 2016 at 4:47 AM Post #1,869 of 3,354
  I'm not necessarily saying those tube suggestions were directly comparable to the Visseaux, just that they have a similar form factor, width-wise, so perhaps they would also have a big soundstage. Trial & error is what tube rolling is all about, and the results just may be better than expected, especially when being the first to try it

Fair enough, Levi!

I, for one, hope we find very little difference in the various 6J5 shapes, internals or vintage and they all sound killer!

Feb 15, 2016 at 4:57 AM Post #1,870 of 3,354
  If someones got a bit of extra cash on hand and wants to be a bit adventurous I found Mazda 76 tubes for sale here.

I would try them myself but I've spent enough for now, I've got the Visseaux's incoming. 
tongue_smile.gif

You are an evil, sneaky415!!!!!!!

Just when I'm starting to assemble a nice assortment of 6J5's you wave a new (make that old!) shiny object to chase and these Mazda'a have round (oval) plates.

Heck, I'm trying to sell off some tubes but here I am buying more................joespride is right.........It's a disease!

Feb 15, 2016 at 5:14 AM Post #1,872 of 3,354

You are an evil, sneaky415!!!!!!!

Just when I'm starting to assemble a nice assortment of 6J5's you wave a new (make that old!) shiny object to chase and these Mazda'a have round plates.

Heck, I'm trying to sell off some tubes but here I am buying more................joespride is right.........It's a disease!

That suggestion is just if your sitting on a pile of cash and don't know what to spend it on. Otherwise just wait and I will try them. But your right it is a sickness. Ive spent more on tubes than on the Ember itself. Nice thing is I could put them up for sale and probably recoup most of my money. If I spend money on a vacation that money is gone forever.

Feb 15, 2016 at 11:27 AM Post #1,873 of 3,354

I know it's just a choice of language used, but I always called that type of plate an oval plate because of the way it differs from the classic round plate found for instance in some Tung Sol 6SN7GT black glass tubes for instance.  Those plates really forms a circle emanating from and terminating from very close location in the tube.  Brimar had made 6SN7s that look a great deal like the 6J5 you are discussing, but they were not called round plates.    However just to add some murkiness to the picture, if that wasn't enough, Brimar has produced some CV1988 6SN7GTYs with colored glass and what I call round plates.  I don't think it matters after all is said and done, the only thing that really counts is performance. 
Having black glass or any other fancy attribute doesn't automatically confer some level of excellence.  I know this for sure,  I have some very mediocre sounding Tung Sol round plate 6SN7GTs to prove that point.

Feb 15, 2016 at 12:27 PM Post #1,874 of 3,354

I know it's just a choice of language used, but I always called that type of plate an oval plate because of the way it differs from the classic round plate found for instance in some Tung Sol 6SN7GT black glass tubes for instance.  Those plates really forms a circle emanating from and terminating from very close location in the tube.  Brimar had made 6SN7s that look a great deal like the 6J5 you are discussing, but they were not called round plates.    However just to add some murkiness to the picture, if that wasn't enough, Brimar has produced some CV1988 6SN7GTYs with colored glass and what I call round plates.  I don't think it matters after all is said and done, the only thing that really counts is performance. 
Having black glass or any other fancy attribute doesn't automatically confer some level of excellence.  I know this for sure,  I have some very mediocre sounding Tung Sol round plate 6SN7GTs to prove that point.

Point taken Mechans1!

Yes, the Tung Sol 6SN7 Round Plate plates are indeed more round than the plates on the 6J5G's. I will now refer to this plate shape as oval.

Perhaps I am very lucky and snagged good pairs, but the 4 tube varieties of 6SN7 type I own using round or oval plates (Visseaux 6J5, TS 6F8G / VT99, NU 6F8G / VT99 and Tung Sol Round Plate 6SN7 / VT 231) are my favorites.

As always, YMMV

Feb 15, 2016 at 8:32 PM Post #1,875 of 3,354

tongue_smile.gif

Mshenay I would recommend this 6J5 Marconi, or this 6J5 Philco, which are both similar shape to the Visseaux and seem super rare. Let us know if you don't get it, so one of us can try it.

I also found a nice pair of Brimar 6j5gt that probably should land within your budget:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/6J5GT-close-Matched-Pair-BRIMAR-AUDIO-TUBE-VALE-NOS-TESTED-on-AVO-Mk4-VCM-/151979988904?hash=item2362b697a8:g:qc4AAOSwUuFWu8gc

What Type are the Mazda's?

I might also try the Philco's and the Brimar's out, what do you guys think about those two, or maybe just go all out an grab the Mazda's and the Philcos 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back