Project Ember Tube Rolling
Feb 13, 2016 at 6:34 PM Post #1,846 of 3,354
  Well here's a photo with a diagram of the insides of a tube that someone drew up on the Elise thread after a failed shipment. It's the insides of a pentode tube, but can help nevertheless. Thanks to @Oskari

My Ecc31 Tube arrived with a shard of glass busted internally, my seller refunded me in full for it, so I can't give you guys any feed back on the Ecc31

so I digress, I'm just going go with a dual tube set up, I like clarity, and sound stage above all. What do you guys recommend, and I have $100 for 2 tubes and an adapter 

Feb 13, 2016 at 7:58 PM Post #1,847 of 3,354
Well I feel for ya about that broken tube. Australia is a long way to ship tubes to the US - it must have gotten some harsh handling  somewhere along the way. The seller however did tell me that you Should still be able to use it. Just leave the plastic piece at the bottom. Should not interfere with the sound and operation of the tube.

Well now that you've got the 6J5 adapter and there being so many other untested types, that's the direction I would recommend.

Feb 13, 2016 at 8:16 PM Post #1,848 of 3,354
  Well I feel for ya about that broken tube. Australia is a long way to ship tubes to the US - it must have gotten some harsh handling  somewhere along the way. The seller however did tell me that you Should still be able to use it. Just leave the plastic piece at the bottom. Should not interfere with the sound and operation of the tube.

Well now that you've got the 6J5 adapter and there being so many other untested types, that's the direction I would recommend.

That's what he says, but optimism does not always reflect reality?

My question is what happens when that plastic comes into contact with the metal, It'll melt if it melts then what? I guess I'm just paranoid

and I may eventually get around to trying it, though if it's plastic I guess it'll b ok, but if it's glass is it ok to have a free floating piece of glass rummining around

and with regards to the seller, he's a great guy! Super helpful, no qualms about buying. I only hope he had insurance on the tube it self

I know form experince I've had tubes bust in shipping and the insurance [even $50 100 or so] is great when I have to do a return. Either way, I'd prefer not to take that chance presently. On the tube failing mid use 

Oh and I don't have the 6J5 adapter :/ it was also not included in the package 

Feb 13, 2016 at 8:39 PM Post #1,849 of 3,354
Well maybe if you could show us some photos of the damage, then we can advise you on further troubleshooting.

The ECC31 would have needed it's own ECC31 to 6SN7 adapter.

For the undisputed champion 6J5 tubes, you would need it's dual adapter here, and also here you can see the vast selection that hasn't been tried in the Ember yet.
Note: I've already tried the Sylvania and Selectron 6J5's, and myself and a friend both found them somewhat sub-par so go with another 6J5 pair

Feb 13, 2016 at 8:51 PM Post #1,850 of 3,354
  Well maybe if you could show us some photos of the damage, then we can advise you on further troubleshooting.

The ECC31 would have needed it's own ECC31 to 6SN7 adapter.

For the undisputed champion 6J5 tubes, you would need it's dual adapter here, and also here you can see the vast selection that hasn't been tried in the Ember yet.
Note: I've already tried the Sylvania and Selectron 6J5's, and myself and a friend both found them somewhat sub-par so go with another 6J5 pair

I went with a dual set of KenRads honestly, they were super cheap for the pair. so I'll bite and I do have some pictures that I can post 

Oh duh, actually, I meant to say I didn't go with 6j5 I grabbed a pair of Daul 7193's KenRads an the adapters 

these are the pics

also, again my Seller was excellent, super easy to work with. Super easy to deal with given the damage, 

Feb 13, 2016 at 10:21 PM Post #1,851 of 3,354
It's just a little fin that's chipped off, I personally wouldn't worry too much about it.

Also I hate to break it to ya, but you are taking a step backwards if you're trying the 7193 setup. This was known as "Franken Ember" and used to be regarded here as the best for the Ember, but now 100% of the 4-6 people who have tried the 6J5's agree that most of these sound superior. Plus there are dozens of varieties of 6J5, whereas there are only 3 types of 7193. And the 6J5's are more visually pleasing without those extra external wires, and without the necessity to stack two adapters together. Finally most 6J5's have a "Coke bottle" shape which seems to give a larger soundstage, whereas the 7193's are all straight tube shaped

Feb 13, 2016 at 10:29 PM Post #1,852 of 3,354
  It's just a little fin that's chipped off, I personally wouldn't worry too much about it.

Also I hate to break it to ya, but you are taking a step backwards if you're trying the 7193 setup. This was known as "Franken Ember" and used to be regarded here as the best for the Ember, but now 100% of the 4-6 people who have tried the 6J5's agree that most of these sound superior. Plus there are dozens of varieties of 6J5, whereas there are only 3 types of 7193. And the 6J5's are more visually pleasing without those extra external wires, and without the necessity to stack two adapters together. Finally most 6J5's have a "Coke bottle" shape which seems to give a larger soundstage, whereas the 7193's are all straight tube shaped

well that's good to know, time to cancel cancel cancel 

Feb 13, 2016 at 10:29 PM Post #1,853 of 3,354
Having used the 7193's I would agree that the 6j5;s sound better, however, I would not say the coke bottle shape sounds better than the the straight glass tube.  I have both, and have had two pair of Visseaux's as well, and the shape of the bottle did not seem to matter to what I heard.  Would be interesting to see this confirmed by measurements,  You are dismissing a whole class of tubes, do I prefer the look of the shape of the "coke bottle" over the straight side, yes, but sonically I find the difference is not in the shape but in the construction of elements and materials.

Feb 13, 2016 at 11:35 PM Post #1,854 of 3,354
  but sonically I find the difference is not in the shape but in the construction of elements and materials.

Have you determined what similar 'construction' elements you have found in the best 6J5Gs you have tried, be they GT (straight sided) or ST ('coke bottle' shape) envelopes?

I am LOVING my only pair at this point, the French production Visseaux 6J5G round plate (ST shape)!
Next week I should have UK production, Brimar 6J5G round plate (ST shape) and Canadian production Marconi 6J5G straight or ladder plate (ST shape) to compare to these great sounding Visseaux.

Don't know if it was you, connieflyer, or DecentLevi or some other folks who were the tube pioneers......... but THANKS to whoever uncovered the Visseaux 6J5G gems.

Feb 14, 2016 at 1:19 PM Post #1,857 of 3,354
  Having used the 7193's I would agree that the 6j5;s sound better, however, I would not say the coke bottle shape sounds better than the the straight glass tube.  I have both, and have had two pair of Visseaux's as well, and the shape of the bottle did not seem to matter to what I heard.  Would be interesting to see this confirmed by measurements,  You are dismissing a whole class of tubes, do I prefer the look of the shape of the "coke bottle" over the straight side, yes, but sonically I find the difference is not in the shape but in the construction of elements and materials.

So I've got like $70 what do you guys recommend for a dual 6j5 Set Up 

Feb 14, 2016 at 2:40 PM Post #1,859 of 3,354
  I like the L63, really nice, delicate sound. I don't think you can go wrong with it. 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/L63-CV1067-GEC-VALVE-TUBE-/201331302145?hash=item2ee047df01:m:mGTrLL5h5Lex_05Edtz-OSQ

I suppose you could ask this UK seller for a matched pair.

I have no affiliation with this seller other than having just bought my Vissauex 6J5G's from him. The tubes he sold me were were nicely packed and very closely matched.

Here is a matched pair he has:http://www.ebay.com/itm/2x-L63-6J5GT-CV1067-CVC-by-GEC-Black-Plates-O-Matched-Tubes-NOS-NIB-/301872035712?hash=item4648f9b780:g:37kAAOSw~OVWv2wj

A bit over the $70 you had in your budget but matched and NIB /NOS

Feb 14, 2016 at 2:50 PM Post #1,860 of 3,354

I suppose you could ask this UK seller for a matched pair.

I have no affiliation with this seller other than having just bought my Vissauex 6J5G's from him. The tubes he sold me were were nicely packed and very closely matched.

Here is a matched pair he has:http://www.ebay.com/itm/2x-L63-6J5GT-CV1067-CVC-by-GEC-Black-Plates-O-Matched-Tubes-NOS-NIB-/301872035712?hash=item4648f9b780:g:37kAAOSw~OVWv2wj

A bit over the $70 you had in your budget but matched and NIB /NOS

That should work, what are teh power requirements for Dual 6j5, I think we figured out the Ember and the Starlight both handle like 1A heat current right? 
So I should be ok with teh dual 

any one have a link to the Dual 6j5 Adapter 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back