Project Ember Tube Rolling
Oct 12, 2015 at 3:03 PM Post #916 of 3,354
I though so to if I remember corect. I have a lot of different ones. The sound is almost the same in everyone but my favorite was the one with the big halo getter. Second was the D-getter.
A complete tube and it tamed the harshnes in the he-400.
I still have my 12bh7 Green letter Sylvania as my favorite 9-pin and Telefunken E88cc.

Happy listening.

Johan

Oct 17, 2015 at 1:02 AM Post #918 of 3,354
I though so to if I remember corect. I have a lot of different ones. The sound is almost the same in everyone but my favorite was the one with the big halo getter. Second was the D-getter.
I still have my 12bh7 Green letter Sylvania as my favorite 9-pin and Telefunken E88cc.

Happy listening.

Johan

Tried my Telefunken 6922/ECC88 CCa with the Ember and it wasn't as good sounding as the Telefunken 12AX7.  The CCa's are one of the best sounding tubes I have for my Lyr2 but in the Ember I haven't had much success with 6922/ECC88, the 12XXX series usually sound better for me.

Oct 17, 2015 at 2:47 AM Post #919 of 3,354
Tried my Telefunken 6922/ECC88 CCa with the Ember and it wasn't as good sounding as the Telefunken 12AX7.  The CCa's are one of the best sounding tubes I have for my Lyr2 but in the Ember I haven't had much success with 6922/ECC88, the 12XXX series usually sound better for me.

To me its the other way, I prefere the 6V tubes. The only exeption is The 12BH7 family that someone here recommended, but that's good that we hear different. Then we don't try to outbid eachother on fleabay.
I bought a real expensive 7308 2 years ago and I put it back in the box after a couple of hours and it stayed there.
Totaly owerrated to my ears.
But we all hear different.

Cheers Johan

Oct 17, 2015 at 3:03 AM Post #920 of 3,354
I used to have the 12bh7 Sylvania green as well as the red, I kept the red but the green was very nice as well. The red was evet slightly V shaped but a very refined sound with good bass. The RCA 12bh7 was excellent value and close to the green in sound. (All this was back when I had the Ember, I prefer the sunrise 3 with a linear power now). I'm currently using an ElectroHarmonix 12bh7 on my sunrise 3 and that too has excellent value.

Happy listening.

Johan

Oct 17, 2015 at 5:18 AM Post #921 of 3,354
To me its the other way, I prefere the 6V tubes. The only exeption is The 12BH7 family that someone here recommended, but that's good that we hear different. Then we don't try to outbid eachother on fleabay.
I bought a real expensive 7308 2 years ago and I put it back in the box after a couple of hours and it stayed there.
Totaly owerrated to my ears.
But we all hear different.

Cheers Johan

I have a few 6SN7 tubes (can't remember which, currently in storage) also but still go back to the 12XXX.  Another reason is the GF likes the glow which is blocked when you install the adapter.  I know, nothing to do with how it sounds but if she is happy I'm not stupid enough to argue with her.
Have a great weekend

Oct 17, 2015 at 5:41 AM Post #922 of 3,354
I've always been a fan of 6SN7's but I recently received a Bugle Boy and I have to say I prefer it's meatier sound. The separation is perhaps slightly less but overall I'm happy with it.

Oct 17, 2015 at 6:47 AM Post #923 of 3,354
I've always been a fan of 6SN7's but I recently received a Bugle Boy and I have to say I prefer it's meatier sound. The separation is perhaps slightly less but overall I'm happy with it.

I got the 6SN7's based on many recommendations here and while they are good, still like the 12XXX ones more.  I think that it might also be the headphones that you are using that will match with tube used, I like the 3 6SN7's better with my HE-560 but the 12AX7 Mullard is great with the HD-700.

Oct 17, 2015 at 9:08 AM Post #924 of 3,354
  I got the 6SN7's based on many recommendations here and while they are good, still like the 12XXX ones more.  I think that it might also be the headphones that you are using that will match with tube used, I like the 3 6SN7's better with my HE-560 but the 12AX7 Mullard is great with the HD-700.

What's the best tube you've heard in the Ember when driving the HD 650?

Oct 17, 2015 at 12:29 PM Post #925 of 3,354
I'm not sure what you mean but it came from the Herleen factory in the Netherlands and dates from 1962. It has a large 'O' Getter.

It sounds superb & better than all my 6SN7's including the one VT-231 I have. It might not be the best for classical music though but who cares? I rarely listen to classical.

It sounds very good with Classical too.

Oct 17, 2015 at 1:40 PM Post #926 of 3,354
I used to have the 12bh7 Sylvania green as well as the red, I kept the red but the green was very nice as well. The red was evet slightly V shaped but a very refined sound with good bass. The RCA 12bh7 was excellent value and close to the green in sound. (All this was back when I had the Ember, I prefer the sunrise 3 with a linear power now). I'm currently using an ElectroHarmonix 12bh7 on my sunrise 3 and that too has excellent value.

I think i missed the red Sylvania, I have a couple of yellow and some White ones.
The green one has light green letters and black plates.
I also have a couple of black plates RCA, very nice and full sound.
I used them a lot before I changed my Ifi Idac to Arcam IrDac, that combo became a little bit to warm with the he-500 for my taste.
I still roll them and I would definitly recommend them.
I just saw that I have an ElectroHarmonix 12bh7 in my stash, haven't even broked the sealing of the box yet.
I had a period when I spent a small fortune on tubes, then I built me a pair of monoblocks with KT88 and 12SN7.
Now l'm bankrupt....

Oct 17, 2015 at 2:04 PM Post #927 of 3,354
You sir, are a trooper.

I think i missed the red Sylvania, I have a couple of yellow and some White ones.
The green one has light green letters and black plates.
I also have a couple of black plates RCA, very nice and full sound.
I used them a lot before I changed my Ifi Idac to Arcam IrDac, that combo became a little bit to warm with the he-500 for my taste.
I still roll them and I would definitly recommend them.
I just saw that I have an ElectroHarmonix 12bh7 in my stash, haven't even broked the sealing of the box yet.
I had a period when I spent a small fortune on tubes, then I built me a pair of monoblocks with KT88 and 12SN7.
Now l'm bankrupt....

Oct 17, 2015 at 2:54 PM Post #928 of 3,354
This past week I have been listening (seriously, for the first time) to @Johan-71 's Philips E88CC SQ and I kind of like it also a lot. It picks less EMI than the Telefunken and somehow it sounds great with everything I have thrown at it. I have to admit that I haven't tried any 12ax7, not sure where to even get started with those :p

Oct 17, 2015 at 3:04 PM Post #929 of 3,354

May I ask what did the 12ax7 did better than the ECC88? (I know, it is subjective...I am still interested :p)

Oct 17, 2015 at 10:24 PM Post #930 of 3,354

What's the best tube you've heard in the Ember when driving the HD 650?

For me the best tube for the HD-650 was the 12AU7 Telefunken, gave the best balance of bass extension and some sparkle in the highs.  I've actually moved this tube to the BH Crack where it still one of my favorites.

May I ask what did the 12ax7 did better than the ECC88? (I know, it is subjective...I am still interested :p)

It was that I was getting a very slight channel imbalance with some of my 6922/ECC88/6DJ8 tubes that I have for my Lyr2.  I was getting matched pairs for the Lyr2 so i don't it if that was a issue causing the channel imbalance.  Another thing I like about the 12XXX series is that they tended to have a more dynamic sound to me but like I said earlier it could also be the headphones that I was using at the time.

Another thing with the 12XXX series is that you can get new Mullard, Tung Sol and Electro Harmonix for a lot cheaper than Bugle boys, Telefunkens, Sylvania Jan, and other NOS tubes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back