Project Ember Tube Rolling
Aug 16, 2015 at 9:43 AM Post #768 of 3,354
Haven't done a side by side and not going to. From memory they are pretty much equal. No reason to get the Shuguang if you have the FrankenEmber. Unless you don't like the looks or are very curious.

thanks ... its a valuable information
popcorn.gif

Aug 19, 2015 at 12:17 PM Post #770 of 3,354
Congrats to the new baby.

Can you hear any differenses between the vt-231 and 6SN7 Ken-rads?
I've been told that it should be the same tube but The VT should've been manufactured with better tolerance.
I can't hear the differenses but you're a little bit younger so might be able to tell the differenses :wink:

And yes, to my ears all of my tubes sounds better with the caps bypassed.
You might get some scratchines from your volpot but that's usually no problems.

The best cap is no cap.

Johan

This Ken-Rad VT-231 + Input caps bypass = Fun, Fun and more Fun :)
Actually it sounds much better bypassing the input caps than with them on the path, not sure why.

Aug 19, 2015 at 4:10 PM Post #771 of 3,354

Good question. I will test tomorrow. I realize that I tested your ken-Rad when the Ember was not burned-in and the sound signature was changing a lot at the time AND with the input caps on. I am surprised those can affect so much the sound. With the HE400i, bypassing the caps makes far more difference than changing the output impedance.

Your Telefunken E88CC also rocks!

Aug 19, 2015 at 5:00 PM Post #772 of 3,354
Hi guys, i finally got to try the franken-ember setup everyone has been raving about. The thing is it is awfully quiet. I sourced the 7193 to 12ax7 converter from ebay and the 7193 tubes were graciously given to me by Demo3. I've set my computer sound to 100%, the project ember itself is also 100%. Yet it still isn't loud enough. Do you guys have any advice on how to solve this issue? Is the converter faulty? Or is it some other issue? Also if it helps, the project ember version im using right now is version 1. Cheers!

Aug 19, 2015 at 7:30 PM Post #774 of 3,354
  Hi guys, i finally got to try the franken-ember setup everyone has been raving about. The thing is it is awfully quiet. I sourced the 7193 to 12ax7 converter from ebay and the 7193 tubes were graciously given to me by Demo3. I've set my computer sound to 100%, the project ember itself is also 100%. Yet it still isn't loud enough. Do you guys have any advice on how to solve this issue? Is the converter faulty? Or is it some other issue? Also if it helps, the project ember version im using right now is version 1. Cheers!

its not normal for sure...
consult Jeremy or frans in this thread :

http://diyah.boards.net/thread/143/project-ember

Aug 19, 2015 at 11:41 PM Post #775 of 3,354
  Hello,

I am waiting on the 7193 to 12AX7 from eBay also. Did it fit in the amp OK?

Have you tried removing the FE and putting in a known good tube?

Well the thing is that i only have 2 7193 tubes, so i'm not sure if the tube is the one causing the problem. Also as for the adapter, you'll have to place it vertically instead of horizontally. 

Aug 20, 2015 at 4:41 AM Post #776 of 3,354

I've been told that it should be the same tube but The VT should've been manufactured with better tolerance.
I can't hear the differenses but you're a little bit younger so might be able to tell the differenses :wink:

And yes, to my ears all of my tubes sounds better with the caps bypassed.
You might get some scratchines from your volpot but that's usually no problems.

The best cap is no cap.

Johan

Umm it looks like the VT-231 has slightly more bass impact and slightly more treeble extension, but the difference is not day and night at all. The differences are mostly discernible when listening to songs with a lot of beat. I think I was originally disappointed with the Ken-Rad that I borrowed from you because the Ember was not burned in. Anyhow, I found a very well priced VT-231 and felt that I could give it another try. This is my first ebay purchase!

Aug 20, 2015 at 4:46 AM Post #777 of 3,354

As far as I know, you probably either did not attach the right connector on the top or one of the connector is loose.

Aug 20, 2015 at 2:35 PM Post #778 of 3,354

This Ken-Rad VT-231 + Input caps bypass = Fun, Fun and more Fun :)
Actually it sounds much better bypassing the input caps than with them on the path, not sure why.

Bypassing the input caps shortens the decay so it doesn't sound as slow and syrapy. For me the 7193 sounds better with bypassed input caps because it is a bit slower tube. The e1148 tube is faster so I believe it sounds better with input caps because it gives it a bit longer decay.

Have you tried the 7193? In that case, how does it compare to VT-231 Ken-Rad?

Aug 20, 2015 at 3:19 PM Post #779 of 3,354
  Bypassing the input caps shortens the decay so it doesn't sound as slow and syrapy. For me the 7193 sounds better with bypassed input caps because it is a bit slower tube. The e1148 tube is faster so I believe it sounds better with input caps because it gives it a bit longer decay.

Have you tried the 7193? In that case, how does it compare to VT-231 Ken-Rad?

Yes, that was exactly my impression with the caps on: slower sound. I haven't tried the 7193. The Ken-Rad has a nice signature, but it is not really a relaxed one. People may think that it is all about the amount of bass when reading the 6sn7 reference thread, but I think the deal with the bass is that it is very well defined, fast and somewhat prominent. I got a Raytheon 6sn7gtb with my Ember from Jeremy and it is not that far from the Ken-Rad. Just a tad less fun (beats are not as prominent). 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back