Project Ember Tube Rolling
Jul 30, 2015 at 9:34 AM Post #661 of 3,354
The volume limiter is between the headphones and the amp, right on the amp's headphone output, to reduce the buzzing while the volume pushes forward harder - no audible sound degradation either. The Shure  EAADPT-KIT limiter was the thickest cable I could find compared to the other inline limiters. And not everybody's 7193 setup has a buzzing sound either.

It's still REALLY WORTH IT to go Franken Ember (7193) on Project Ember. Every single time I ever A/B it to any other type of tube or configuration, the 7193 setup wins every time without fail: more vivid / lifelike / organic sound with great amout of energy, more details & natural soundstage. Pristine, brilliant, lush, all-there and near endgame stuff. (the only reason I know there is anything better is because I've been to a few HeadFi meets)

Jul 30, 2015 at 10:04 AM Post #662 of 3,354
  The volume limiter is between the headphones and the amp, right on the amp's headphone output, to reduce the buzzing while the volume pushes forward harder - no audible sound degradation either. The Shure  EAADPT-KIT limiter was the thickest cable I could find compared to the other inline limiters. And not everybody's 7193 setup has a buzzing sound either.

It's still REALLY WORTH IT to go Franken Ember (7193) on Project Ember. Every single time I ever A/B it to any other type of tube or configuration, the 7193 setup wins every time without fail: more vivid / lifelike / organic sound with great amout of energy, more details & natural soundstage. Pristine, brilliant, lush, all-there and near endgame stuff. (the only reason I know there is anything better is because I've been to a few HeadFi meets)

As ever, thanks for your help. I have used the same vol limiting technique to get rid of hiss with high sensitive, low impedance headphones. Sennheiser made a variable vol control, with channel separation, so it doubles as a balance control.(v useful for my classical stuff).
Only problem is cable is very long, so I cut it and reterminated. Again, no fall off of sound quality, just slightly less vol, which, as you say, can be easily compensated for.
Finally, your post makes me even more impatient to get my hands on this wretched adapter. 
mad.gif

Jul 31, 2015 at 2:57 AM Post #664 of 3,354
Thought I'd take a moment and share my opinion on the Franken Ember / 7193 setup.

We had our local meet last Saturday and I was super excited to find this setup was at the meet, and its owner was kind enough to let me try it out on my own rig (sorry I didn't catch your name).  So I plugged the beast into my Ember, turned it on, and then went listening to other gear for 20 minutes or more while the tubes warmed up.

Once back at my rig I gave the FE a test run with my 1964 Ears A12 (TOTL 12 driver per side IEMs) expecting great things.  Maybe all the hype had my expectations too high, but to be honest as I listened it was kind of a let down.  Certainly no "Oh wow, way better" moment here - pretty similar to my favorite tube actually - a Sylvania 6SN7W (granted an excellent tube).  The soundstage/air seemed a little bit better, yet on the other hand the upper treble seemed rolled off a bit. 

Excellent sounding? Yes! But with two caveats. First with the 6SN7W already having fantastic soundstage/air I'm not sure I'm willing to trade treble for a bit more of it.  Second, with the two setups sounding as close as they did I can't see myself dealing with the awkwardness of the Franken Ember on an ongoing basis.

All IMHO, of course!

-Eric

Jul 31, 2015 at 3:03 AM Post #665 of 3,354
Thought I'd take a moment and share my opinion on the Franken Ember / 7193 setup.

We had our local meet last Saturday and I was super excited to find this setup was at the meet, and its owner was kind enough to let me try it out on my own rig (sorry I didn't catch your name).  So I plugged the beast into my Ember, turned it on, and then went listening to other gear for 20 minutes or more while the tubes warmed up.

Once back at my rig I gave the FE a test run with my 1964 Ears A12 (TOTL 12 driver per side IEMs) expecting great things.  Maybe all the hype had my expectations too high, but to be honest as I listened it was kind of a let down.  Certainly no "Oh wow, way better" moment here - pretty similar to my favorite tube actually - a Sylvania 6SN7W (granted an excellent tube).  The soundstage/air seemed a little bit better, yet on the other hand the upper treble seemed rolled off a bit. 

Excellent sounding? Yes! But with two caveats. First with the 6SN7W already having fantastic soundstage/air I'm not sure I'm willing to trade treble for a bit more of it.  Second, with the two setups sounding as close as they did I can't see myself dealing with the awkwardness of the Franken Ember on an ongoing basis.

All IMHO, of course!

-Eric

Hi Eric, think I am the guy who gave you that 7193 lol

Jul 31, 2015 at 3:46 AM Post #668 of 3,354

All IMHO, of course!

-Eric

Also I don't like using ember to drive the IEM. I think it is too powerful for it. At least for my se846, ember will easily over drive it. The result will be very muddy sound.

Jul 31, 2015 at 3:53 AM Post #669 of 3,354
I think super charge is just for the power supply of the tube. It will not affect the sound signature

As quoted from the website "The Ember Supercharger module increases the tube heater current capacity from 500mA to well over 1A allowing many power hungry tubes to be used such as the 6n6p, 6n30p and more! Also tube warm up time is drastically decreased when using tubes requiring over 500mA!"

Since I'm using a version 1 ember, does it mean that it cannot run the 6SN7 tubes even with the adapter?

Jul 31, 2015 at 4:21 AM Post #670 of 3,354
So @ericr, you were trying the Franken Ember setup from @bball?

What headphones did you test it out with? I second that this amp (or at least the F.E. setup) in general may not be meant for IEMs. The Ember is such a powerful amp that's suited to drive large 'cans.

I've been using the HD 650 with my F.E. setup, and THAT'S where the glorious synergy happens, as described above. But that's not to say that perhaps a 6SN7 tube like yours couldn't possibly be better. Do you have a photo of your 6SN7W tube?

Jul 31, 2015 at 5:02 AM Post #671 of 3,354
Also I don't like using ember to drive the IEM. I think it is too powerful for it. At least for my se846, ember will easily over drive it. The result will be very muddy sound.

No problem using my IE Soundmagic E10-very nice, clear sound. However, I reduce the input gain, using the attenuation module supplied with the Ember, to make full use of the vol pot and I leave the output impedance on the lowest setting. If I switch to the middle output impedance setting it does get muddy.

Jul 31, 2015 at 5:07 AM Post #672 of 3,354
  So @ericr, you were trying the Franken Ember setup from @bball?

What headphones did you test it out with? I second that this amp (or at least the F.E. setup) in general may not be meant for IEMs. The Ember is such a powerful amp that's suited to drive large 'cans.

I've been using the HD 650 with my F.E. setup, and THAT'S where the glorious synergy happens, as described above. But that's not to say that perhaps a 6SN7 tube like yours couldn't possibly be better. Do you have a photo of your 6SN7W tube?

If this is the tube I think it is, it costs around $250. I think Franken-Ember is a better option for me, personally, particularly as the sound is pretty similar, and the small difference could be due to differences in the rest of the kit, including the cans. 

Jul 31, 2015 at 7:03 AM Post #673 of 3,354
Has anyone tried pairing the ember with either the he560,hd600, or hd800?
I just recently bought the he560 while still holding onto my hd600 along with the magni/modi combo. I want to look for a new amp upgrade and was wondering if the ember would be a good fit for it. People have been telling me to get the sunrise 3, solstice, or the polarise. But I've heard that the ember can power headphones such as the hd800 and the he6. Just want to ask because I might getting th hd800 down the road.

Jul 31, 2015 at 8:52 AM Post #674 of 3,354

All IMHO, of course!

-Eric

i understand you perfectly and if my experience with the 7193 tubes versus my 6sn7 tubes had been the same  i would had not bothered with a second adapter and all the trouble...But for me and some others there is evident transformation all across the board frequencies and soundstage... Audio is mysterious territory ...  Nobody has the same gear and nobody perceive the same thing....
L3000.gif

i read other posts and the Ember is not ideal choice for IEM...

Jul 31, 2015 at 9:29 AM Post #675 of 3,354
  As quoted from the website "The Ember Supercharger module increases the tube heater current capacity from 500mA to well over 1A allowing many power hungry tubes to be used such as the 6n6p, 6n30p and more! Also tube warm up time is drastically decreased when using tubes requiring over 500mA!"

Since I'm using a version 1 ember, does it mean that it cannot run the 6SN7 tubes even with the adapter?

You can certainly run the 6SN7 on your V1 Ember without the supercharger but it will only get 500ma instead of the ideal 600ma that the 6SN7 is designed for.  Adding the supercharger module is recommended and only takes a few minutes to de-solder one part and solder the superhcarger in its place - well worth the cost and effort.  Or you could send it in and Jeremy will to the job for you.

I strongly recommend using Garage1217's adapter to insure proper wiring - not all eBay adapters will work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back