Project Ember Tube Rolling
Jul 12, 2015 at 11:36 AM Post #586 of 3,354
Congrats to a very good amp, you won't get disappointed .
The best recommendation for impactful base would probably be Ken-rad VT 231.
You can always do a search here in the 6SN7 thread.

Regarding the Sylvania I prefer the black base, I think I put up a pic earlier in this thread.
I would also recommend the brown base with green or gold letters/print .
They're very transparent and musical with a wide soundstage .

Johan

I just ordered my Ember with the 6SN7 adapter.

I have read so much about Sylvania 6SN7GT/6SN7GTA that I would like to order one. The spread in prices on ebay is overwhelming. Any tips to know which one should I get? Also, which flavor is more recommended for deep bass, the 6SN7GT or 6SN7GTA?

I can see tubes from >20 USD to 200 USD!

Jul 12, 2015 at 7:51 PM Post #588 of 3,354
Hey everyone, I've been looking for some Sylvania Chrome Tops for my Ember, and found these on eBay. Would this be a good purchase/are they the correct type of valve?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Two-6SN7-GTB-Sylvania-Angle-Plate-Chrome-Top-Highfidelity-Graded-Pair-/301685151803?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item463dd6183b#viTabs_0

Jul 12, 2015 at 8:48 PM Post #589 of 3,354
These tubes would be alright, but read the fine print.......High Fidelity: A tube that tests in lightly used condition,  thoroughly tested and in excellent  fully functional condition. Labeling may be moderately obscured or missing from cleaning. A "High Fidelity" used graded tube will be meticulously cleaned to like new condition and will provide excellent sound quality. "High Fidelity tubes will range from New Old Stock testing to 10% above Good specifications and have balanced sections within 30%.  Vintage tubes that are more closely matched than 30% may earn a PLUS rating. At a minimum the tube will be housed in new white box, clearly labeled.  He is calling them High Fidelity grade, which looks like something that is not a real standard, just their rating. It is their lowest rating, yet sounds good unless you read the other two ratings that are higher.  Also, you are buying two of the same tube, if they are in fact of good quality, they will last a long, long time in the Ember.  Jo-han 71 is correct on the Ken-Rad vt 231, I bought a new one, costly, but best 6SNS7 I have.  Also have a few others, all very similar. 
KEN-RAD CLEAR GLASS 6SN7GT VT-231

You are looking at a pair of 1945 production KEN-RAD 6SN7GT VT-231 vintage tubes. Both have same construction  with staggered black plate and bottom foil getter. The tube is famous for its great Bass, sweet Midrange and wide Bandwidth.
They were tested on TV-7B/U with strong reading of 96 & 98 and 98 & 98 where the minimum reading for a good 6SN7 tube on this tester is 50 & 50.  No leakage no gas found on both tubes.
Shipping is  $3.5 for USPS First Class Mail® in USA. International winner will pay the actual cost of shipping.  If interested in a pair, try these...http://www.ebay.com/itm/PAIR-OF-KEN-RAD-6SN7GT-VT-231-MILITARY-TUBES-TESTED-STRONG-/261959334314?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cfdfe39aa#

Check this page, older page but info still valid.   http://www.dehavillandhifi.com/6sn7_vt.htm

Jul 12, 2015 at 9:13 PM Post #590 of 3,354
  I just ordered my Ember with the 6SN7 adapter.

I have read so much about Sylvania 6SN7GT/6SN7GTA that I would like to order one. The spread in prices on ebay is overwhelming. Any tips to know which one should I get? Also, which flavor is more recommended for deep bass, the 6SN7GT or 6SN7GTA?

I can see tubes from >20 USD to 200 USD!

From my testing owning both these tubez, the Sylv. 6SN7 GTA wins hands-down over the GT; the GTA has about 20% more bass, clarity and 'energy'. This is of course IMO, and YMMV depending on the condition of your tubez

Jul 12, 2015 at 9:57 PM Post #593 of 3,354

how do you compare 6sn7 tubes and 7193 ?
bigsmile_face.gif

Well this is a very broad and 'big' question. There are so many 6SN7 tubes and I've only tried a dozen so far - this being said, it's too early for me to tell which are better, but I am leaning heavily towards the 7193's. Also consider that there is a great variety of 6SN7 tubes with widely varying sound signatures, and purportedly only 3 types of 7193. But from my impressions so far with testing these 2 types of tubes thoroughly, all tested in good condition, here's how I would personally compare them:

The best of the 6SN7 tubes can be immensely pleasing for an audiophile, even enough so to probably call it their end game. Clear details, great energy / lifelike presentation, musical, good amount of bass (or these variables can change depending on your favorite tube), etc.

The 7193 tubes however, pick up where the 6SN7 tubes left off IMO. The major differences seem to be they are more lifelike / organic (like you "are there" compared to a "simulation" of the music), improved instrument separation, sense of air, and perhaps soundstage as well. Comparing between my favorite 6SN7 and 7193 tubes kept ceasely amazing me: how my ears already told me the 6 was the best, but then with the 7, I was like "no way", this really does sound better: more fluidic, lifelike energy, especially noticeable with well mastered songs (electronic music included) and percussive instruments. There are times however that I actually prefer the 6SN7 tubes because of the different variety of sound signatures they can bring: sometimes I'm listening to an album with too much bass, so I go for one of the 6SN7 tubes that are known to have leaner bass, or if I want a more laid-back sound, etc. Also my 7193's give an audible buzzing sound, which I'll probably have to tone down with an external volume limiter. But these really are amazing  chameleons!

PS- these 7193 impressions are based off my Ken-Rad's, which I also found to be superior than the RCA's.

Jul 12, 2015 at 10:00 PM Post #594 of 3,354
  Well this is a very broad and 'big' question. There are so many 6SN7 tubes and I've only tried a dozen so far - this being said, it's too early for me to tell which are better, but I am leaning heavily towards the 7193's. Also consider that not there is a great variety of 6SN7 tubes with widely varying sound signatures, and purportedly only 3 types of 7193. But from my impressions so far with testing these 2 types of tubes thoroughly, all tested in good condition, here's how I would personally compare them:

The best of the 6SN7 tubes can be immensely pleasing for an audiophile, even enough so to probably call it their end game. Clear details, great energy / lifelike presentation, musical, good amount of bass (or these variables can change depending on your favorite tube), etc.

The 7193 tubes however, pick up where the 6SN7 tubes left off IMO. The major differences seem to be they are more lifelike / organic (like you "are there" compared to a "simulation" of the music), improved instrument separation, sense of air, and perhaps soundstage as well. Comparing between my favorite 6SN7 and 7193 tubes kept ceasely amazing me: how my ears already told me the 6 was the best, but then with the 7, I was like "no way", this really does sound better: more fluidic, lifelike energy, especially noticeable with well mastered songs (electronic music included) and percussive instruments. There are times however that I actually prefer the 6SN7 tubes because of the different variety of sound signatures they can bring: sometimes I'm listening to an album with too much bass, so I go for one of the 6SN7 tubes that are known to have leaner bass, or if I want a more laid-back sound, etc. Also my 7193's give an audible buzzing sound, which I'll probably have to tone down with an external volume limiter. But these really are amazing  chameleons!

tHank you i appreciate greatly your refined review ... i had the same experience than you.... its confirm my impression.... i thank you greatly for your time
popcorn.gif

«improved instrument separation, sense of air, and perhaps soundstage as well» your impression are the same than mine... i valued most these three qualities than colours ....My speakers and stax headphones and he 400 said the same message than you to my ears...

best regards to you ....

Jul 12, 2015 at 10:09 PM Post #595 of 3,354

Can you recommend me a place to buy this tube? Thanks for the advice btw!

Hi again, please keep in mind that for me personally, I am still very new to tube rolling. So all I can say is to "scour the Internet". eBay, Google, etc. As long as the photo looks similar to mine including the color of the words & the base color, model #, etc. then I'm sure it would be very similar sounding to mine.

Also does anybody have any recommendations to kill the constant buzzing sound that I'm hearing from the above mentioned Ken-Rad 7193 setup ('Franken Ember')? Maybe there's a power-chord solution or external volume limiter solution?

Jul 12, 2015 at 10:10 PM Post #596 of 3,354
are you sure its not one of the two tubes? i dont have this problem with my 2 ken rads....

Jul 12, 2015 at 10:15 PM Post #597 of 3,354
Decentlevi you can go to DIY audio heaven Ember Thread, Jeremy or Franz may help you with that i think.......
L3000.gif

Jul 13, 2015 at 2:51 AM Post #598 of 3,354
  These tubes would be alright, but read the fine print.......High Fidelity: A tube that tests in lightly used condition,  thoroughly tested and in excellent  fully functional condition. Labeling may be moderately obscured or missing from cleaning. A "High Fidelity" used graded tube will be meticulously cleaned to like new condition and will provide excellent sound quality. "High Fidelity tubes will range from New Old Stock testing to 10% above Good specifications and have balanced sections within 30%.  Vintage tubes that are more closely matched than 30% may earn a PLUS rating. At a minimum the tube will be housed in new white box, clearly labeled.  He is calling them High Fidelity grade, which looks like something that is not a real standard, just their rating. It is their lowest rating, yet sounds good unless you read the other two ratings that are higher.  Also, you are buying two of the same tube, if they are in fact of good quality, they will last a long, long time in the Ember.  Jo-han 71 is correct on the Ken-Rad vt 231, I bought a new one, costly, but best 6SNS7 I have.  Also have a few others, all very similar. 
KEN-RAD CLEAR GLASS 6SN7GT VT-231

You are looking at a pair of 1945 production KEN-RAD 6SN7GT VT-231 vintage tubes. Both have same construction  with staggered black plate and bottom foil getter. The tube is famous for its great Bass, sweet Midrange and wide Bandwidth.
They were tested on TV-7B/U with strong reading of 96 & 98 and 98 & 98 where the minimum reading for a good 6SN7 tube on this tester is 50 & 50.  No leakage no gas found on both tubes.
Shipping is  $3.5 for USPS First Class Mail® in USA. International winner will pay the actual cost of shipping.  If interested in a pair, try these...http://www.ebay.com/itm/PAIR-OF-KEN-RAD-6SN7GT-VT-231-MILITARY-TUBES-TESTED-STRONG-/261959334314?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cfdfe39aa#

Check this page, older page but info still valid.   http://www.dehavillandhifi.com/6sn7_vt.htm

Damn! Gone.

Jul 13, 2015 at 4:50 AM Post #599 of 3,354
  Hi again, please keep in mind that for me personally, I am still very new to tube rolling. So all I can say is to "scour the Internet". eBay, Google, etc. As long as the photo looks similar to mine including the color of the words & the base color, model #, etc. then I'm sure it would be very similar sounding to mine.

Also does anybody have any recommendations to kill the constant buzzing sound that I'm hearing from the above mentioned Ken-Rad 7193 setup ('Franken Ember')? Maybe there's a power-chord solution or external volume limiter solution?

I never met the same problem as yours. One thing may because your adapter is somewhat loose on the top connector. It is loose on one of my 7193 tube and sometime when you disconnect the top connector it will give you a very sharp noise. So try to check that part. 

Jul 13, 2015 at 10:17 AM Post #600 of 3,354

Hey DecentLeiv

Ordered my 'Franken Ember' with the same setup as yours last Friday, I pm'ed you for the info last week on your setup, thanks.  Depending on when I get everything in and setup I'll report back.  Probably get the Ember before the 7193s.  My source will be FiiO X5 through a AUDIOQUEST - BIG SUR MINI-TO-RCA 1.0M cable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back