Project Ember Tube Rolling
Mar 30, 2015 at 8:02 PM Post #361 of 3,354
  If you can afford the additional $45.00 get the SC option installed on your Ember and also buy the 6sn7 adapter The reason being the ability to use tubes with higher heater current like the 12bh7 a wonderful sounding tube and the 6sn7 which I believe has .6 amp heater current and would need the SC option and the adapter also an amazing sounding tube.
 As far my experience with this Amp you need 3 tubes one 6dj8 Amperex orange globe or bugle boy, one RCA/Sylvania/GE 12bh7 and one GE side getter 6sn7 Each type of tube will present a different sound "flavor"
I think these 3 tubes can get you started to the tube rolling cult.
 If however if you need just one option and not be addicted by tube rolling then get the Ember straight up no SC no adapter and get yourself an amperex OG or BB and Mercedes man is a safe bet on ebay

Hello Ember mates,

This is my first time on this thread. I've attached a pic of my rig, which I nicknamed VaderNator in honor of Star wars 7. The metal chassis and tube DO give it a new look.

I just happen to have the 6DJ8, 12BH7 and 6SN7 mentioned above and I agree wholeheartedly. I also have two RCA 6SN7s that I am burning in. My first place tube was a Sylvania 5751. While the 6SN7 is not "quite" as dynamic (gain of 70), the rest easily exceeds it. I quess that bigger is better?

I am burning in the 12BH7 in my Sunrise 2 next to the Ember, looks basically the same. It already has its version of SC designed in.

If this question has already been posted, please forgive. What is the general consensus of the best sounding 6SN7 tube? Sylvania seems have the most posts. I will spend the $$$ to buy one.

EMBER FOREVER

Mar 30, 2015 at 9:25 PM Post #362 of 3,354
  Hello Ember mates,

This is my first time on this thread. I've attached a pic of my rig, which I nicknamed VaderNator in honor of Star wars 7. The metal chassis and tube DO give it a new look.

I just happen to have the 6DJ8, 12BH7 and 6SN7 mentioned above and I agree wholeheartedly. I also have two RCA 6SN7s that I am burning in. My first place tube was a Sylvania 5751. While the 6SN7 is not "quite" as dynamic (gain of 70), the rest easily exceeds it. I quess that bigger is better?

I am burning in the 12BH7 in my Sunrise 2 next to the Ember, looks basically the same. It already has its version of SC designed in.

If this question has already been posted, please forgive. What is the general consensus of the best sounding 6SN7 tube? Sylvania seems have the most posts. I will spend the $$$ to buy one.

EMBER FOREVER

Welcome... I try several sylvanias... difference exist between them.....i will receive a tungsol in few weeks... I will not try another tube not in the 6 ns7 family.... I like them a lot....more body to the sound in my system....the ember powered my stax amp and my swan powered speakers and my hifiman he 400.....
tongue_smile.gif
The ember for this low price is the best purchase for multiple heaphones and pre out with speakers.....

Mar 31, 2015 at 6:39 PM Post #364 of 3,354

I'm still trying to make a decision on which amp I want for my HD580s and possibly future HD650 (OCD over research strikes again). I had it narrowed down between Ember, Solstice, Horizon and maybe the Bottlehead Crack which has been my first choice except I hate waiting and don't want to wait 4-6 weeks for it to come in. However now I've seen the Darkvoice 336 is available on Amazon with prime shipping for $299, have any of you heard the Darkvoice and could give me an idea on how its sounds vs Ember or other Garage1217 amps? The reviews I've found of the Darkvoice seem good and it sounds like its similar to the crack. 

Mar 31, 2015 at 7:49 PM Post #365 of 3,354

I'm still trying to make a decision on which amp I want for my HD580s and possibly future HD650 (OCD over research strikes again). I had it narrowed down between Ember, Solstice, Horizon and maybe the Bottlehead Crack which has been my first choice except I hate waiting and don't want to wait 4-6 weeks for it to come in. However now I've seen the Darkvoice 336 is available on Amazon with prime shipping for $299, have any of you heard the Darkvoice and could give me an idea on how its sounds vs Ember or other Garage1217 amps? The reviews I've found of the Darkvoice seem good and it sounds like its similar to the crack. 

i am sure Darkvoice is good sounding , i had read like you many good reviews... But think about the difference between the Ember ( flexibility for each headphone peculiarity and automatic bias in tube rolling) The choice is easy.... Before purchasing ember i had the same dilemna about darkvoice and many other very good  tube amp...i dont regret it, on the contrary, I congratulate me for my choice
beerchug.gif

p.s. dont forget the 5 years warranty that jeremy and frans extended to all Ember used or not... Wow

Mar 31, 2015 at 9:09 PM Post #366 of 3,354
I used to have dv337. From my distance memory, dv337 sounds very good with hd650 with long decay, deep and wide soundstage. The only thing that annoys me a little is the 2 volume control. Everytime you want to increase/reduce volume you have to adjust 2 times.
Soundwise, bass is huge but i think not as punchy and toe-tapping as Ember.
But overall is still VERY good.

Notes: i had dv337 like 4 years ago. So many variant of dv337 around, i do not know which version is mine.

Mar 31, 2015 at 10:56 PM Post #367 of 3,354

I got the Ember for the adjustable output impedance which really help you fine tune the amp to the headphone.  Also, you only have one tube to deal with, with the darkvoice you will be dealing with two.  I haven't heard the darkvoice but it seems like the crack where you can really get creative with the tubes.

Apr 1, 2015 at 12:26 AM Post #368 of 3,354

My latest persuade.
Ken-rad 6sn7gt and Philips 6sn7gt.
It's going to be a good long night.

congratulation! If you can write about them....
beerchug.gif

Apr 4, 2015 at 8:25 PM Post #369 of 3,354
Johan- 71 is going to love that Kenrad, I am loving mine, rolled in a couple of other tubes but had to go back each time to the Ken-rad.  Super tube, base is really great on the hd650's as well.

Apr 5, 2015 at 12:53 AM Post #370 of 3,354
I recently got a Solstice amp. Just got some tubes and I want to roll them. Is it as easy as pulling the tube straight out of it's housing and putting the new one in? I assume it's very similar to the Ember. They both have the auto-bias.

Apr 5, 2015 at 2:17 AM Post #371 of 3,354
  I recently got a Solstice amp. Just got some tubes and I want to roll them. Is it as easy as pulling the tube straight out of it's housing and putting the new one in? I assume it's very similar to the Ember. They both have the auto-bias.

Yes. Just pull it out and pop in your new tube. That is the beauty of auto-bias.

Apr 5, 2015 at 7:15 AM Post #372 of 3,354

Sorry for no response about the Ken - Rad.
Been playing with my latest build.

Have to second Connieflyer, it's al about the base.
And the clarity, space, realism and tone.
It's the perfect alrounder.
Sorry but did I tell you bout the base:)

Kind of 2-3 db increase in the 30-100hz area but without the bleeding to lower mids.

The Philips 6sn7gt needs more burn in, sounds flat and dull. Probably my first "NOS" that's really was NOS.

Next step will be to try my Ember as a preamp to the oddwatts I build.
Any tip on how to make your wife more understanding to this hobby would be appreciated.

Johan

Apr 5, 2015 at 7:46 AM Post #374 of 3,354
Don't know yet, haven't studied the schematic so it's hard to tell.
Must be someone here who knows, otherwise we have to ask Jeremy.
I'm still trying to find out a way to get my wife out of the house so I can start playing with my toys.

Johan

Users who are viewing this thread

Back