Project Ember Tube Rolling
Dec 28, 2015 at 6:44 PM Post #1,351 of 3,354
That will be great, seems like few members did indicate few posts back that their setup does have background noise for high sensitive phones, hence my question.

TH-x00 is not great on the Ember imho. To little sparkle and energy on top. It ends up being a little bit dull sounding. I'm waiting to try the TH-X00 out on a Gustard H10 after new years, to see if it's better. Not too noisy with the right tubes(Visseaux) on Ember though.

Dec 28, 2015 at 7:21 PM Post #1,353 of 3,354
The project sunrise 3 isn't a good match for the thx00 either but the lower powered horizon 3 is fantastic.

The Starlight is also a good match, though honestly I like my LA D5k with the Starlight more than my TH X00, the LA D5k is a tad drier sounding with more top end edge, it really pairs well with a hybrid tube! 

Dec 28, 2015 at 8:40 PM Post #1,354 of 3,354
You need a tube for the THX00 then! Time to go shopping.
The Starlight is also a good match, though honestly I like my LA D5k with the Starlight more than my TH X00, the LA D5k is a tad drier sounding with more top end edge, it really pairs well with a hybrid tube! 

Dec 28, 2015 at 8:42 PM Post #1,355 of 3,354
I picked up a pair of hd700's and after about 10 hours they are excellent with the Ember. Like the combo enough to sell off a pair of two of the 650's.  Using the Visseaux 6j5g's at present time and to my ears a great combo.

Dec 29, 2015 at 1:17 AM Post #1,356 of 3,354
You need a tube for the THX00 then! Time to go shopping.

Honestly I REALLY like the sound of the Stock 12UA7 with my LA D5k, the some what... more liquid presentation of the TH X00 does NOT pair well with the Starlight imo. the TH X00 really sounds best out of my Solid States, with the Lawton pads the LA D5k has a drier an more defined sound hence forth the tube adds just the right amount of warmth, given the subsequent loss of sound stage 

still, for Tube Owners an lovers I'd say grab a fully Modded LA D5k, for Solid State fanatics the TH X00 xAlpha Pad is the way to go ;3 

seeing as how my LA D5k is prettier to look at I'ma keep it on my head an enjoy this Hybrid tube ^^ 

Dec 29, 2015 at 1:24 AM Post #1,357 of 3,354

Mr.Connieflyer,

Those HD700s.

It's fascinating to read about your success with these Sennheisers.  I've not heard or even seen a pair of 700s, Steve G in NY owns a pair and mentions them occasionally, Tyll in Montana does not appreciate them ( going so far as to not recommend them ) but I trust Sennheiser and will hope to read your future comments.    Since working with the Audiologists (earlier this year), my HD580s became superb, so-much-so that I'm holding off buying the HD800s I fell in love with, last year.   

Anyway, I see HD700s on ebay for reasonable prices ( maybe $400 ), so buying a pair is not an expensive experiment.  

Tony in Michigan

Dec 29, 2015 at 10:19 AM Post #1,358 of 3,354
One of the biggest problems was with the early reviews, they compared to 800's and at $1000 I would not have been happy with them either.  At under $500 at amazon, these are great. The sibilance people complain about and the 6k spike I have not seen, is it because of the Ember, I don't know, but I would imagine Sennheiser may have tweaked some, and if not then there were alot of haters that just like to repost what they read instead of what they read.These are clear as a bell, and the bass is fine, not thunderous by any means, but it is there and accurate.  If you want mega bass, you need speakers not headphones.  Soundstage is larger than either pair of my 650's and I like them better, so will sell off the 650's.  I am using dual Visseaux 6j5's, this also helps make them so clear.  Not cheap to be sure, but getting kind of rare, so bought second pair of tubes.  Have about 12 hours on these phones now and are a little more open than when fresh out of the box. This is my fifth pair of Sennheiser phones and contiunue to enjoy their vision.

Dec 29, 2015 at 2:08 PM Post #1,359 of 3,354
  One of the biggest problems was with the early reviews, they compared to 800's and at $1000 I would not have been happy with them either.  At under $500 at amazon, these are great. The sibilance people complain about and the 6k spike I have not seen, is it because of the Ember, I don't know, but I would imagine Sennheiser may have tweaked some, and if not then there were alot of haters that just like to repost what they read instead of what they read.These are clear as a bell, and the bass is fine, not thunderous by any means, but it is there and accurate.  If you want mega bass, you need speakers not headphones.  Soundstage is larger than either pair of my 650's and I like them better, so will sell off the 650's.  I am using dual Visseaux 6j5's, this also helps make them so clear.  Not cheap to be sure, but getting kind of rare, so bought second pair of tubes.  Have about 12 hours on these phones now and are a little more open than when fresh out of the box. This is my fifth pair of Sennheiser phones and contiunue to enjoy their vision.

Yea I've heard the HD 700 is a bit of a black sheep, price wise it can be gotten for a really good price if your in teh right place at the right time

an in terms of sonics I've heard a mix of both positive an negative 

Dec 29, 2015 at 4:04 PM Post #1,360 of 3,354
Mr.connieflyer,

Thank you, dam good piece of journalistic summary.  

Prices aside, I've discovered Sennheiser's transducers to be the finest I've encountered in my 5 to 6 decades of activity in music reproduction.

Those Planer folks, with their pursuit of "ultimate" performance stated objectives, plus the Balanced concept and the higher powered amplification requirements leave them little room to admire a group of dynamic headphones with modest price levels ( originating from their early years of discovery & before they owned superb DACs ). 

I've come to 'feel' that headphone transducers have a "Voice" ( much like Opera Singers ) and I'm beginning to 'feel' that Tubes also have a 'Voice'.

I think I'm also learning that these "musical devices" ( transducers & various tubes ) want a bit of coaxing which we DIY'ers enjoy providing. 

The Buyers of the Multi-Thousand Dollar offerings seem to be low patience types with discretionary money to buy-up all of-the latest & best.  They write supporting observations of the 'rave' reviews before moving on to their next purchase, I also suspect their postings are a large part of their hobby ( I see this in groups of Old-Geezers buying up the latest V-8 Corvettes and the like ). 

The Garage1217 owners ( as least some of them ) appear to be on a "Great Valve Safari" adventure, which seems both exciting and romantic but at vaporisticly low prices. Schiit's latest "dual-triode" Vali 2 may speak to that Company's view of this segment of the Audio Hobby activists who seem to realize that Single Triode designs keep the financial expenditures to a minimum whilst maintaining the possibility of revealing or unearthing rare amplification treasures and the "hope" of discovering another "Stradivarius" like instrument.

I'm a collector, I collect beautiful music.  

I may soon join the Tube Adventure folks by purchasing a Ember.

Thank you for your posted contributions.  

Tony in Michigan

Dec 29, 2015 at 9:05 PM Post #1,361 of 3,354

The Garage1217 owners ( as least some of them ) appear to be on a "Great Valve Safari" adventure, which seems both exciting and romantic but at vaporisticly low prices. Schiit's latest "dual-triode" Vali 2 may speak to that Company's view of this segment of the Audio Hobby activists who seem to realize that Single Triode designs keep the financial expenditures to a minimum whilst maintaining the possibility of revealing or unearthing rare amplification treasures and the "hope" of discovering another "Stradivarius" like instrument.

May I steal this :D

but yea, owning tubes it's a life style choice I think, due to the time an hair pulling out involved lol 

I've already got my eyes on a $100 Telefuken 12UA7 ECC 82

Dec 29, 2015 at 9:27 PM Post #1,362 of 3,354
Tonykaz, I see you are in Troy, I am in Farmington, so if I can be of any help, let me know, tube rolling can be very interesting, and really lets you see the differences, the type of tubes can make.  I started out cheap, and tried alot of different types, to narrow down what (I) liked.  Advice is nice to hear, but since everyone's hearing and perseption of music is different, you and I may hear variations that may or may not be pleasing or different.  Took me a little while to get here but the ride has been very interesting and rewarding.  Let me know if I can help out, Don.

Dec 29, 2015 at 10:22 PM Post #1,364 of 3,354
What is the attraction in regards to this Tele 12AU7? I promise not to compete with you for it. I already own a couple and prefer Amperex  12AU7s any way. 
The hardest tube to get these days is the 12AX7 in excellent condition.   The guitar amp guys use them and  have created a huge demand for the good ones.  The prices  reflect this . 
I have been collecting tubes for about a dozen years and got caught up in the 5751 craze, and didn't collect  enough regular 12AX7s.  Thus to be clear,  I recommend that you buy the best  12AX7s you can get .  Junky old tubes will only and always be junk.
 When great tubes survive to old age, somehow  avoiding being used for the purposes they were made for, they obviously become rare,  great, old tubes and command crazy, big money. At that point they are trophies. 
I have noticed that a couple of tube collectors are selling off some or all of their precious old power tubes GE JAN 6550s.  The reason may well be that current production tube quality has equaled or surpassed the old guys.  It happens, they are still well known and sought after by those who aren't sophisticated in regards to the latest advances in tube manufacture and will probably get snapped up.

Dec 29, 2015 at 11:18 PM Post #1,365 of 3,354
  What is the attraction in regards to this Tele 12AU7? I promise not to compete with you for it. I already own a couple and prefer Amperex  12AU7s any way. 
The hardest tube to get these days is the 12AX7 in excellent condition.   The guitar amp guys use them and  have created a huge demand for the good ones.  The prices  reflect this . 
I have been collecting tubes for about a dozen years and got caught up in the 5751 craze, and didn't collect  enough regular 12AX7s.  Thus to be clear,  I recommend that you buy the best  12AX7s you can get .  Junky old tubes will only and always be junk.
 When great tubes survive to old age, somehow  avoiding being used for the purposes they were made for, they obviously become rare,  great, old tubes and command crazy, big money. At that point they are trophies. 
I have noticed that a couple of tube collectors are selling off some or all of their precious old power tubes GE JAN 6550s.  The reason may well be that current production tube quality has equaled or surpassed the old guys.  It happens, they are still well known and sought after by those who aren't sophisticated in regards to the latest advances in tube manufacture and will probably get snapped up.

honestly, I've always heard Telefunken tubes have a very bright an dry sound, I like the sound of my 12UA7 ECC82, the stock tube for the Starlight, an I'd like something with a little better sound stage... that's about my only gripe with it 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back