"progressive/ambient/rock" ABSOLUTE WOW
Aug 3, 2007 at 6:06 PM Post #16 of 30
After listening to that band, I'd say try the following - Neurosis, Isis, Indukti, Battle of Mice, Callisto, Cult of Luna, Red Sparowes, Grails, Grayceon, Mouth of the Architect, The Mercury Program, The Ocean, Intronaut...

Images and Words (and Dream Theater in general) is neither ambient nor atmospheric, so I don't know why people recommended that to you in the first place. Likely they didn't even bother to listen to the link you provided.

Aug 3, 2007 at 6:32 PM Post #17 of 30
If you like Dream Theater's sound, but despise LaBrie (like I do), you need to check out Liquid Tension Experiment. It's a DT side project with Portnoy, Petrucci, Rudess (all from DT), and Levin (from King's Crimson). Absolutely fantastic stuff.

Aug 4, 2007 at 12:23 AM Post #19 of 30
Keep the replies going, guys! I like every single recommendation so far, except dream theatre.. I still don't like the vocals. ATMOSPHERIC IS THE WORD!!

Aug 4, 2007 at 6:41 AM Post #20 of 30
Judas,

You really need to get a new avatar! I enjoy your posts but Axel's face gives them an dickish tone!
very_evil_smiley.gif

(some cool music mentioned here, thanks!)

Aug 4, 2007 at 11:43 PM Post #21 of 30
smily_headphones1.gif
I'll change my avatar to maynard or something

Aug 6, 2007 at 11:54 PM Post #23 of 30
As far as atmospheric goes, you must at least try My Bloody Valentine's "Loveless" album. Not really rock, but some of the most beautiful "noise" you will ever hear.
Be warned though: the sound sucks. But it's part of the deal. And turn it up LOUD.

Aug 7, 2007 at 4:51 PM Post #24 of 30
Why mention Tool either? They're just a good rock band.

A Perfect Circle (Maynard side project) is a lot more melodic and could I guess be considered a lot more 'atmospheric' with many of their songs. They're a lot more down tempo too.

As for DT, they're amazing, but I agree -- Systematic Chaos was pretty weak -- rehashy and just plain dull. To an extent I had trouble with the vocals when I first started listening to them, but like with Rush, it grows on you and you just love it. Keep trying to like them!

Although I'm not a big Pink Floyd fan or anything, doesn't their music give off an ethereal sort of vibe?

Aug 7, 2007 at 5:22 PM Post #25 of 30
I'll try a completely different approach to this: see if you can get a copy of the remastered "Tubular Bells" by Mike Oldfield. Perhaps this is more the type of thing you're looking for.

Aug 9, 2007 at 5:42 PM Post #26 of 30
Try listening to The Sky Moves Sideways or Moonloop by Porcupine Tree. Both are very atmospheric.

Aug 9, 2007 at 5:56 PM Post #27 of 30
you would probably like the absentee. reverie is probably the best song on the myspace.

also, check out Rosetta - The Galilean Satellites. a double album. one cd is metal and one is more ambient. you're actually supposed to play both simultaneously, and it's quadrophonic. REALLY cool. highly suggested.

Aug 9, 2007 at 6:07 PM Post #28 of 30
I really liked this group. Thanks for the tip.

I think that both songs are very strong for being demo songs. Wonder how they would sound in flac
biggrin.gif

Aug 12, 2007 at 2:35 AM Post #30 of 30
great stuff guys, i'm a bit overwhelmed at the moment, keep the replies coming!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back