"progressive/ambient/rock" ABSOLUTE WOW
Aug 3, 2007 at 1:20 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 30

judas391

500+ Head-Fier
http://www.myspace.com/acresofocean

Wow, first band that I've heard that has actually given me that "WOW!!!" feeling on the first song. It says on their site that the album is for free download, but I can't find a link and I'm in canada. (they're in europe)

Any bands to recommend for this genre? Or just any similar bands?
I think I'm in love
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 3, 2007 at 2:22 AM Post #2 of 30
wow, nice find, but i couldnt find a link either, dont even see them on last.fm

Aug 3, 2007 at 2:31 AM Post #3 of 30
haha sweet, checked out their blog, their vocalist uses dt770s for monitoring

Aug 3, 2007 at 2:47 AM Post #4 of 30
they're amazing, i"ll update when i can find a download link.. you know of any bands like this?!
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 3, 2007 at 3:33 AM Post #7 of 30
Of course I've heard Tool.. I don't like Dream Theatre's vocals though.. I heard "Hollow Years," if this song reflects on the rest of their material, I'd rather not listen
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 3, 2007 at 3:45 AM Post #8 of 30
I wouldn't use Hollow Years as a frame of reference for DT or LaBrie's vocals. Falling into Infinity was a bit of a light album for DT, though I love Hell's Kitchen. I would recommend either Awake or Scenes from a Memory to start with. For a "heavier" DT, check out Train of Thought. Images and Words took me a little time to get into, so I have a hard time recommending it as a starter album.

LaBrie does have one of those "love it or hate it" voices though, so YMMV.

Have you given Porcupine Tree a listen yet? If not, then I have two words for you. In Absentia.
cool.gif

Aug 3, 2007 at 5:02 AM Post #10 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by goldenratiophi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Dream Theater's "Falling Into Infinity" is easily one of their worst albums. Don't judge them on anything from that album
tongue.gif

Disagree completely.

It might not have great flow as an album, but FII contains some of DT's best songs.

Aug 3, 2007 at 5:12 AM Post #11 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by asmox /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It might not have great flow as an album, but FII contains some of DT's best songs.

I agree. Hell's Kitchen, Just Let Me Breathe, and Lines in the Sand come to mind. Their worst, IMO, is their most recent album.

BTW, that 65 Days album you have in your sig is just plain awesome. I need to remind myself to order that one on my next Amazon spree.
icon10.gif

Aug 3, 2007 at 7:07 AM Post #12 of 30
Back on topic, anyone know some good ambient rock suggestions? I've covered tool, and I'm planning on getting the Images and Words CD.

Aug 3, 2007 at 7:22 AM Post #13 of 30
Well, Tool's pretty far from ambient, but I think a lot of post-rock fits into what you're looking for.

Do Make Say Think is pretty chill, but they can rock too.

edit: Do you rather mean "atmospheric" by chance?

Aug 3, 2007 at 7:30 AM Post #14 of 30
Yeah, ATMOSPHERIC! That's the word. Something that makes you transcend earth's atmosphere to a divine plane!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back