Progressing past newb; help me spend some cash.
Mar 27, 2012 at 1:30 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Stonez

New Head-Fier

Hey guru's.  I'm at a place where I want to expand my audio experience out a little wider and need some direction in how to spend $300 .  My musical tastes are diverse, but I mainly listen to  jazz, electronica and rock/metal.  I have a variety of low end head gear that I use with my iPod Touch (2nd gen):

Sony MDR NC-22 (mowing the lawn)
AKG AQ350's (running/working out)
Audiotechnica ATH-AD700 (fave @ home)
Senheisser HD25-1-ii (fave on the move)

I also have a FiiO E5+L9 LOD for my iPod and a regular line out cable that I use with my Samsung  GS2 Epic 4G touch running PowerAmp.  

Now I need to decide whether to expand my headgear range, or get a new amp/dac.  I listen to  a lot of music whilst at my computer using my 700's, but I'm running them straight off the audiochip (Realtek ALC892 codec) on my motherboard (which is really ****ty and has a occasional extended bouts of EM intereference), using foobar2000 + wasapi.  It can sound great at times but it never feels all there...  Would I benifit more from buying a dac/amp or a soundcard here?  I was looking at the FiiO E17 vs an Asus Xonar soundcard or comparible.

I also spend 2hrs a day commuting back and forward to work (and I park and ride) and that's when I'm using either my iPod or GS2 with my AKG's or HD25's.  Would a portable amp ie Headstage Arrow HE  4G be a significant improvement over my current setup or again, would the E17 be a better all rounder.  As can be seen, I am biased towards getting the most out of my current headgear but would a better set of cans be the best place to widen my audio horizons?   I look forward to hearing from you.

tl;dr Amp, amp/dac or new cans and I have $300 to spend

Mar 27, 2012 at 4:12 PM Post #2 of 8

Quote:

Hey guru's.  I'm at a place where I want to expand my audio experience out a little wider and need some direction in how to spend $300 .  My musical tastes are diverse, but I mainly listen to  jazz, electronica and rock/metal.  I have a variety of low end head gear that I use with my iPod Touch (2nd gen):

Sony MDR NC-22 (mowing the lawn)
AKG AQ350's (running/working out)
Audiotechnica ATH-AD700 (fave @ home)
Senheisser HD25-1-ii (fave on the move)

I also have a FiiO E5+L9 LOD for my iPod and a regular line out cable that I use with my Samsung  GS2 Epic 4G touch running PowerAmp.  

Now I need to decide whether to expand my headgear range, or get a new amp/dac.  I listen to  a lot of music whilst at my computer using my 700's, but I'm running them straight off the audiochip (Realtek ALC892 codec) on my motherboard (which is really ****ty and has a occasional extended bouts of EM intereference), using foobar2000 + wasapi.  It can sound great at times but it never feels all there...  Would I benifit more from buying a dac/amp or a soundcard here?  I was looking at the FiiO E17 vs an Asus Xonar soundcard or comparible.

I also spend 2hrs a day commuting back and forward to work (and I park and ride) and that's when I'm using either my iPod or GS2 with my AKG's or HD25's.  Would a portable amp ie Headstage Arrow HE  4G be a significant improvement over my current setup or again, would the E17 be a better all rounder.  As can be seen, I am biased towards getting the most out of my current headgear but would a better set of cans be the best place to widen my audio horizons?   I look forward to hearing from you.

tl;dr Amp, amp/dac or new cans and I have $300 to spend

First thing first, that regular line out cable ..i wouldn't call it line out as that would make people think your Samsung has line out capabilities. I don't remember the actual word to call it so i just call it by the dual male end 3.5mm stereo cable

Your question is hard. Whether to upgrade to an E17 or get a new heapdhone, but really. If you just have an E5 and you also feel limited by the computer chip. Then the E17 looks best. Remember that the e17 isn't the best amp for $150 or the best DAC,...but combined, it is arguably a king with all it's features.

Your E5 and L9 LOD should have better sound than your computer? Do you like the sound from the E5 and L9 with you Audio Technica's? like a lot? Then the E17 loosk even more to be a good option. The E10 is also an option but it isn't portable and has less driving power if you want to upgrade one day to harder to drive headphones.

I would say $150 on the E17 and then save up for your next pair of headphones. Remember to take this step by step. I would say that getting the E17 from Amazon when it becomes availble or getting it from Micca store. Remember to ask Micca if they do returns. im not sure. And then once you receive it, do a prolonged listen to the E17 with your computer as DAC and then portably. If you like it..keep it and buy more expensive heapdhones. Anything up to and including 250 ohm beyer's (a few people have told me their 250 ohm beyers work well and have enough power from E17) it seems the E17 should drive well.

Any specific questions?

http://www.head-fi.org/t/587912/fiio-e17-alpen-first-impression-final-thought/

this is the main E17 thread, i would read pages 50-80 and then 100-120 for the majority of the info on the E17

Keep an open mind to suggestions. Remember you can get a desktop only unit too, or an HRT or ibasso or something

Mar 27, 2012 at 6:41 PM Post #3 of 8
Thanks for the reply bowei.  First off, I couldn't remember the name of the 3.5mm m-m cable either so apologies if this misleads anyone.  If I had to choose whether to increase the sound quality on the go or at home, I'd have to say it would be at home.  On the go, I rarely have the chance to listen to the music, it's really just a distraction whilst I'm taking care of my girls or commuting to work etc.  I have been looking at the E17 as a solution to my desktops on-board sound as opposed to a sound card but will it be as good as a dedicated sound card for all the software extra's (dolby headphone, eax etc)?

In as far as spending the money on a desktop amp/dac, what would be your recommendations on that front?  I've also had my eye on the Maverick Audio Tube Magic D1/A1 combo for my desktop.  Will there be much of a difference between the E17 and this setup?  Obviously there is a significant $ jump but I am moving to night shift soon and there will be a not insignificant pay increase so this may be a possibility too...  The big benefit to the E17 right now is it's portability and it's ability to be a jack-of-all-trades whilst like you stated it's a master of none.

I am procrastinating at 110% right now but E17 looks like it might fit the bill, I'm just looking for a few more opinions before I take the plunge one way or another.  I wish there was a local store I could try these out at.  The way the media portray how popular headphones and audio media are, you'd think there should be an audio dedicated store in every mall...

Mar 27, 2012 at 6:51 PM Post #4 of 8

Quote:
Thanks for the reply bowei.  First off, I couldn't remember the name of the 3.5mm m-m cable either so apologies if this misleads anyone.  If I had to choose whether to increase the sound quality on the go or at home, I'd have to say it would be at home.  On the go, I rarely have the chance to listen to the music, it's really just a distraction whilst I'm taking care of my girls or commuting to work etc.  I have been looking at the E17 as a solution to my desktops on-board sound as opposed to a sound card but will it be as good as a dedicated sound card for all the software extra's (dolby headphone, eax etc)?

In as far as spending the money on a desktop amp/dac, what would be your recommendations on that front?  I've also had my eye on the Maverick Audio Tube Magic D1/A1 combo for my desktop.  Will there be much of a difference between the E17 and this setup?  Obviously there is a significant $ jump but I am moving to night shift soon and there will be a not insignificant pay increase so this may be a possibility too...  The big benefit to the E17 right now is it's portability and it's ability to be a jack-of-all-trades whilst like you stated it's a master of none.

I am procrastinating at 110% right now but E17 looks like it might fit the bill, I'm just looking for a few more opinions before I take the plunge one way or another.  I wish there was a local store I could try these out at.  The way the media portray how popular headphones and audio media are, you'd think there should be an audio dedicated store in every mall...

IF you don't have time on the go then a desktop unit or a sound card might be better. In your first paragraph it seems like a sound card may be better for you.

Yes the Maverick Tube Magic D1 is a popular choice. Keep in mind the NWAVGUY O2 amp is also popular but is only an amp. it's accompanying DAC counterpart would cost extra and is not released yet..basically  it's over budget for you. but just so you know

the E17 is the jack of all trades but because it's portable and built like a tank. it's price is a bit higher. I would think a dedicated desktop amp and dac or a sound card might be better.

i don't recommend these as i've never used them, but for a popular choice i know they are popular. ASUS STX and XIFI Titanium HD for you desktop computer. however if you want a more audiophile setup, not really in your computer for other issues then something like the D1 may be better. but if you want to get into portability then the E17 is a fine unit.

Mar 31, 2012 at 1:38 PM Post #5 of 8
So I just took the plunge and purchased the E17 from mp4nation.  Hopefully it should arrive in the near future....

beerchug.gif

Mar 31, 2012 at 1:56 PM Post #6 of 8

Quote:
So I just took the plunge and purchased the E17 from mp4nation.  Hopefully it should arrive in the near future....

beerchug.gif

Did you check out the E17 thread?

Depending on how far into audiophileness you are or how your ears are or whatever most don't detect a worthy change at first. IT's the oomph that goes into the bottom that most feel with the E17. IT's like that piece that you can't describe missing from your audio.

Give it 2 weeks. 

Mar 31, 2012 at 9:40 PM Post #7 of 8

Quote:
Did you check out the E17 thread?

Depending on how far into audiophileness you are or how your ears are or whatever most don't detect a worthy change at first. IT's the oomph that goes into the bottom that most feel with the E17. IT's like that piece that you can't describe missing from your audio.

Give it 2 weeks. 

I totally read that entire thread from start to finish.  I feel like I could be a rep for FiiO without ever having laid eyes on the unit.  As in as far as expectations, I think I won't be too far from the mark.  I realise that there will be no majestic transformation in the music itself but like you say, I need something to just expand the sonisphere somewhat.  I'm looking forward to playing with the E17 and I really appreciate all your input Bowei.  I'll let you know my findings when I get it.  ^5

Mar 31, 2012 at 10:49 PM Post #8 of 8

Quote:
I totally read that entire thread from start to finish.  I feel like I could be a rep for FiiO without ever having laid eyes on the unit.  As in as far as expectations, I think I won't be too far from the mark.  I realise that there will be no majestic transformation in the music itself but like you say, I need something to just expand the sonisphere somewhat.  I'm looking forward to playing with the E17 and I really appreciate all your input Bowei.  I'll let you know my findings when I get it.  ^5

A rep for FiiO lol I know what you mean. I've been there from start to finish and own the device :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back