Prog rock
Jun 12, 2021 at 12:40 PM Post #2,778 of 4,453
Hermetic Science, a small band led by Edward Macan: musician, college professor, author of Rocking the Classics and Endless Enigma (books about progressive rock and ELP, respectively). Solid musicianship, good compositions. Dr. Macan plays (among other instruments) mallet percussion and was one of the inspirations that got me to start playing marimba.

Audio samples are available on the band's web site. Their best-of CD (Crash Course) has a good selection.

Last edited:
Jun 14, 2021 at 3:53 PM Post #2,779 of 4,453
I've been listening to a lot of YES lately. I can say for me personally, there are no better consecutively released prog albums than Close To The Edge, Tales from Topographic Oceans, and Relayer. Those three are just prog perfection, with Tales likely being my favorite of the bunch. Hearing the Steven Wilson remixes of these albums is also quite the adventure!

Jun 15, 2021 at 6:06 AM Post #2,780 of 4,453
Ha, my three come just before yours, The Yes Album, Fragile and Close to the Edge for me :)

Jun 20, 2021 at 6:20 AM Post #2,782 of 4,453
Currently listening to Do It All Again in glorious 24/96 on Amazon HD - Loving it :)

Jun 20, 2021 at 2:59 PM Post #2,784 of 4,453
I have Carptree on heavy rotation;

https://www.carptree.com/discography.htm

In particular the Superhero, Insekt and Emerger albums. There is pretty much nothing from them I do not like, and for a quick check, try "Between Extremes" which you check out on Youtube, Spotify and probably various other sources. I would describe them as modern anthemic prog and the closest sound to someone well know would be Peter Gabriel.

Jun 21, 2021 at 6:40 PM Post #2,785 of 4,453
Listening to Emerger on Amazon HD now, it really does have a Peter Gabriel feel to it - nice suggestion, it appears I've found a new band to obsess over :L3000:

Jun 23, 2021 at 3:10 PM Post #2,786 of 4,453

Ran into Red Bazar on Amazon HD last night and had to hear more (only one album on there) so I hit Bandcamp. The first two albums are instrumental but then they added the amazing Peter Jones on vocals, keyboards and guitar. He manages to play the keyboards and guitar at the same time - not even blindness slows him down! Great music, sounds like back in the heyday of prog rock but with a little extra bite.

Jul 2, 2021 at 3:05 AM Post #2,787 of 4,453
I've fallen out of attention with this thread but I promise I'll take care of it :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

W-T-F man!? the vocal line on this sounds like Rag'n'Bone Man or something... I don't like this direction that Leprous is taking >>

Users who are viewing this thread

Back