Prog rock
Jul 4, 2016 at 5:26 PM Post #437 of 4,573
I took some time to decide if I should post this here or not, but I'll just do it :)
For me this album is as prog as Haken or Leprous (just to mention some bands that I discovered more recently).
Prog or not, it is a very accomplished piece of rock and I think you should try it. It is a clear departure from the old tech-death metal sound of this band, it is fresh, bold and innovative and I like it very much, especially the two tracks that I'll post here.
I'm talking about the new Gojira album: Magma.

Jul 4, 2016 at 10:14 PM Post #438 of 4,573
I thought Gojira's last album boardered pretty heavily on prog metal, so I am all in for the new one. Thanks for the recommend, downloading now:)

Jul 12, 2016 at 8:16 AM Post #443 of 4,573
I thought Gojira's last album boardered pretty heavily on prog metal, so I am all in for the new one. Thanks for the recommend, downloading now:)

I actually saw this as a recommendation for me by Amazon. Thinking it was a new album by Magma called 'Gojira' (sounds a bit Zeuhl) after 30 odd years of inactivity. Even though Magma are not always an easy listen, thought I'd have a listen on Prime.  

confused_face(1).gif
Got a bit of a shock to say the least !

Pure thrash metal instant headache inducing noise to me, zero dynamic light and shade or subtlety. Not at all my cup of tea 
eek.gif
angry_face.gif

Shows you sometimes have to be careful not getting artist & album names mixed up especially as the senility of older (middle) age kicks in.. At least no harm done or money wasted as it may have done in the old days, pre free streaming 
smile.gif

Jul 14, 2016 at 8:37 AM Post #444 of 4,573
Another video from the "Magma" album came out, featuring the house and surroundings where Joe and Mario Duplantier grew up.
http://loudwire.com/gojira-low-lands-video/

Great music meets great photography >>

Jul 14, 2016 at 8:43 AM Post #445 of 4,573
  I actually saw this as a recommendation for me by Amazon. Thinking it was a new album by Magma called 'Gojira' (sounds a bit Zeuhl) after 30 odd years of inactivity. Even though Magma are not always an easy listen, thought I'd have a listen on Prime.  

confused_face(1).gif
Got a bit of a shock to say the least !

Pure thrash metal instant headache inducing noise to me, zero dynamic light and shade or subtlety. Not at all my cup of tea 
eek.gif
angry_face.gif

Shows you sometimes have to be careful not getting artist & album names mixed up especially as the senility of older (middle) age kicks in.. At least no harm done or money wasted as it may have done in the old days, pre free streaming 
smile.gif

Maybe give it another chance. There IS light and shade and subtlety even in heavier music :) Listen to the whole album.
For me this album sounds like what Black Sabbath would sound like if they'd came out today.
And the video above reminds me of Pink Floyd at Pompeii. I don't know why but I get the same vibe...

Jul 25, 2016 at 6:03 PM Post #448 of 4,573
New Karmakanic album 'Dot' released last Friday. A very good album a solid 4 star album reminiscent of their album 'Who's The Boss In The Factory'.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=86ZjFbAnmtM

Jul 26, 2016 at 7:05 PM Post #449 of 4,573
I took some time to decide if I should post this here or not, but I'll just do it :)
For me this album is as prog as Haken or Leprous (just to mention some bands that I discovered more recently).
Prog or not, it is a very accomplished piece of rock and I think you should try it. It is a clear departure from the old tech-death metal sound of this band, it is fresh, bold and innovative and I like it very much, especially the two tracks that I'll post here.
I'm talking about the new Gojira album: Magma.

Hi guys. I don't come on to head-fi very much anymore, mostly due to school and work. Right now I'm in the middle of finals, and then one more academic course for my Masters, and I'm done.

Okay, not true. What really runs me off from this forum is the debate on certain aspects of headphones, and "accessories" that make them sound AMAZING! I just can't stomach it any more, so I think I'm going to stick to the music threads for now.

Quite impressed with Gojira- which is saying a lot. They really haven't done anything for me until these recent videos.

But what I keep coming back to is Haken- Affinity Definitely my album if the year so far, and extremely demanding of my headphones and my main speaker rig. The vocals are still growing on me as well, and I'm just grateful they don't sound like Dream Theater (no offense meant)

Okay, back to finals.

...I lied again. I need to hear The Architect again, maybe a little louder this time! :D

Jul 26, 2016 at 9:03 PM Post #450 of 4,573
Hi guys. I don't come on to head-fi very much anymore, mostly due to school and work. Right now I'm in the middle of finals, and then one more academic course for my Masters, and I'm done.

Okay, not true. What really runs me off from this forum is the debate on certain aspects of headphones, and "accessories" that make them sound AMAZING! I just can't stomach it any more, so I think I'm going to stick to the music threads for now.

Quite impressed with Gojira- which is saying a lot. They really haven't done anything for me until these recent videos.

But what I keep coming back to is Haken- Affinity Definitely my album if the year so far, and extremely demanding of my headphones and my main speaker rig. The vocals are still growing on me as well, and I'm just grateful they don't sound like Dream Theater (no offense meant)

Okay, back to finals.

...I lied again. I need to hear The Architect again, maybe a little louder this time! :D

I could not agree more on your slight regard for Dream Theater. As for Haken's 'Affinity' a good album but have you listened to their album 'Visions'? 'Visions' is simply stunning.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back