Prog rock
Dec 13, 2006 at 5:37 AM Post #17 of 4,315
Quote:

Originally Posted by asmox /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes. Stylistic variations are a given since your OP mentioned everything from prog rock to tech/death metal. Sorry about the mini-wall of text -

Abydos, Adagio, After Forever, Agalloch, Aghora, Alarum, Alchemist, Andromeda, Arcturus, Ark, Atheist, Atrox, Beyond Twilight, Blind Guardian, Bubblemath, California Guitar Trio, Conception, Cynic, Devin Townsend, Dreamscape, Dysrhythmia, Elegy, Enslaved, Estradasphere, Evergrey, Explorer's Club, Farmakon, Frameshift, Frantic Bleep, Freak Kitchen, Green Carnation, Gordian Knot, IQ, Isis, Jon Finn Group, Katatonia, Koenjihyakkei, Kong, Liquid Tension Experiment, Madder Mortem, Magnitude Nine, Mar de Grises, Marillion, maudlin of the Well, Naamah, Novembre, Orphaned Land, Ozric Tentacles, Pagan's Mind, Pantommind, Planet X, Portal, Ram-Zet, Redemption, Sleeping People (awesome), Spastic Ink, Spiral Architect, Subterranean Masquerade, Textures, The Flower Kings, The Tangent, Tiamat, Time of Orchids, Ulver, Upsilon Acrux, Vanden Plas, Voivod...

Just notice that After Forever, Agalloch, Katatonia, Tiamat are not prog !

Dec 13, 2006 at 7:02 AM Post #18 of 4,315
Quote:

Originally Posted by sawyer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just notice that After Forever, Agalloch, Katatonia, Tiamat are not prog !

Neither is Opeth, Pain of Salvation, or Canvas Solaris... if you want to split hairs.

Dec 13, 2006 at 8:28 AM Post #20 of 4,315
Quote:

Neither is Opeth, Pain of Salvation, or Canvas Solaris... if you want to split hairs.

They're progressive, they're main stream.

After Forever : gothic/power metal
Agalloch : Atmospheric Folk / Doom metal
Tiamat : Death/Atmospheric Metal
Katatonia : Doom/Death Metal, Depressive Rock
Again, these bands have nothing calls "progressive" in their music.

Dec 13, 2006 at 8:51 AM Post #21 of 4,315
Quote:

They're progressive, they're main stream.

After Forever : gothic/power metal
Agalloch : Atmospheric Folk / Doom metal
Tiamat : Death/Atmospheric Metal
Katatonia : Doom/Death Metal, Depressive Rock
Again, these bands have nothing calls "progressive" in their music.

We can go on for hours about what genre(s) a band does and does not fall under. At their core, Opeth is death metal, Canvas Solaris is technical instrumental meandering that goes absolutely nowhere, and Pain of Salvation is over-dramatic theater metal, if you will.

I'm not going to go into the details of what I believe makes a band progressive here, but suffice it to say that when a band pushes their genre and/or sidesteps the walls that otherwise box in the genre that band is supposed to be a part of, they are progressive. All four of the bands you mentioned have released albums that fall under my conception of progressive music, so I look at them as progressive.

Are they "prog"? No, they are not modern mimics of ELP and Yes. Are they "progressive" in the sense that their music pushes boundaries? In my opinion, yes.

..and honestly, considering the bands you chose to call out from my list, I'm surprised you didn't call out more... since there are definitely some on there that are even less "prog" than the four you mentioned.

Dec 13, 2006 at 9:00 AM Post #22 of 4,315
Quote:

to Patu : is A perfect circle a prog band ? I don't think so, they're pop rock/alternative.

Oh yes, it seems that they aren't a prog rock band. Somehow their style made me believe so. Couldn't find them at progarchives and allmusic doesn't name them as prog rock band either.

asmox:

Where to start with your extensive list?

Dec 13, 2006 at 11:19 AM Post #23 of 4,315
What? Second page of the thread and no mention of Genesis, Marillion or Twelfth Night?

For Genesis, "The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway", "Nursery Cryme", "Selling England by the Pound" and "Foxtrot" (the last of which is one of my top three albums ever) are must-listens. For better SQ try Steve Hackett's "Genesis Revisited" album which is a great nineties prog take on their classic era.

For Marillion, all of the first four albums are fantastic. (Don't be put off either Genesis or Marillion on the strength of a handful of well-known singles: these bands were superb in their early career!)

For Twelfth Night, if you can get it, "Collector's Piece" pulls together a nice set of the proggiest stuff.

I'd big up King Crim as well, and any metal fan owes it to (him)self to hear the 21st Century Guide boxed sets, which does a great job of demontrating that they are as good now as they ever were.

The Who's "Tommy" is an obvious touchstone album (though "Who's Next" and "Quadrophenia" are pretty proggy as well), along with The Beatles' "Abbey Road" (yes, really) and some of the Pink Floyd stuff. Everyone knows Radiohead's "OK Computer" (with its big King Crim influence) now but it's worth a mention.

Less well known are Gentle Giant, who are definitely worth hearing from the classic period. From the eighties prog revival it's also worth checking out Twelfth Night's rivals, Pallas, whose "The Sentinel" album was something of a hit.

Dec 13, 2006 at 11:44 AM Post #24 of 4,315
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sordel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What? Second page of the thread and no mention of Genesis, Marillion...

Maybe you should read my first post more carefully.
wink.gif

Dec 13, 2006 at 1:16 PM Post #25 of 4,315
Sun Caged.

Without a doubt you will fall in love with them. I am especially floored by the arpeggio work from the guitarist in this band - he has the fastest, cleanest and most punctuated arpeggio sweeps. Simply awe-inspiring.

Any Prog. Fan who doesn't own "The Art Of Navigating By The Stars" from Sieges Even should hang their head in shame.

I will list some more bands later on today when I can access my music collection.

Dec 13, 2006 at 1:50 PM Post #26 of 4,315
Quote:

Originally Posted by lmilhan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Any Prog. Fan who doesn't own "The Art Of Navigating By The Stars" from Sieges Even should hang their head in shame.

That's a superb album. I've only heard that one and A Sense of Change. A Sense of Change is nothing compared to that album. Actually it's not even very good.

Talking about new progressive rock, Kino with their one and only album called Picture is awesome.

http://www.kinomusic.com/music.htm

I just now checked their website for the first time. It seems that Kino's members are from quite well known bands such as Porcupine Tree, Marillion and Arena. No wonder that album is so good. I'm waiting for their next album.

Dec 13, 2006 at 2:23 PM Post #27 of 4,315
Quote:

Originally Posted by Patu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Maybe you should read my first post more carefully.
wink.gif

"My bad".
biggrin.gif
(I take it you'll be buying Twelfth Night if you haven't already ..?)

Dec 13, 2006 at 4:50 PM Post #29 of 4,315
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sordel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
"My bad".
biggrin.gif
(I take it you'll be buying Twelfth Night if you haven't already ..?)

I haven't. Maybe I should give them a try.

Dec 13, 2006 at 8:56 PM Post #30 of 4,315
Quote:

We can go on for hours about what genre(s) a band does and does not fall under. At their core, Opeth is death metal, Canvas Solaris is technical instrumental meandering that goes absolutely nowhere, and Pain of Salvation is over-dramatic theater metal, if you will.

I'm not going to go into the details of what I believe makes a band progressive here, but suffice it to say that when a band pushes their genre and/or sidesteps the walls that otherwise box in the genre that band is supposed to be a part of, they are progressive. All four of the bands you mentioned have released albums that fall under my conception of progressive music, so I look at them as progressive.

Are they "prog"? No, they are not modern mimics of ELP and Yes. Are they "progressive" in the sense that their music pushes boundaries? In my opinion, yes.

..and honestly, considering the bands you chose to call out from my list, I'm surprised you didn't call out more... since there are definitely some on there that are even less "prog" than the four you mentioned.

I would probably agree with Sawyer. None of those bands really do anything for me. Katatonia is just depressing rock, I don't see anything progressive in it. Agalloch is folk metal, and Tiamat is just weird. Never heard of After Forever, though. I might check them out.

I truly do think that Opeth is progressive. I mean, it honestly doesn't sound anything like death metal apart from the vocals. I've never heard anything like it. And, although I can't stand Pain of salvation's album "BE" (it really is over dramatic opera crap. Lives up to it's name of piece of crap), they are unique. I like music that keeps me interested, none of that weirdo atmospheric stuff that goes nowhere (especially "post rock")... although canvas solaris is what you said, instrumental meandering, it does keep me interested for some reason.

I just downloaded Vanden Plas' Christ O. Wow, awesome album. I saw it in a store but didn't buy it cause the cover looked gay. haha. I bought Pain of Salvation's BE cause it had a cool cover. That was a bad choice. Worst album ever. It got hardly a listen in my CD player before I decided to not even rip it to my computer. I also just got Redemption's "The fullness of time". This album is killer as well
biggrin.gif
. I wish I bought those in the stores when I saw them but I didn't know how much I was going to like them.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Floodedstatue /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Check out Dredg - 'El Cielo', it's a superbly constructed, forward-thinking record. Check out the SACD if you can find it.

Yeah I like this album. I do think it's better than SACD too.

Quote:

Originally Posted by lmilhan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sun Caged.

Without a doubt you will fall in love with them. I am especially floored by the arpeggio work from the guitarist in this band - he has the fastest, cleanest and most punctuated arpeggio sweeps. Simply awe-inspiring.

I will list some more bands later on today when I can access my music collection.

I just checked these guys out. They seem like just what I'm looking for... if only I can find that CD somewhere. Hopefully I'll come across it one day. they're working on a new album too, which I just saw on their myspace. Looks top notch.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back