Prog Rock Love
Apr 12, 2009 at 10:27 PM Post #31 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by Deffers /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have not seen the Charisma Label for years.... Fantastic Avatar..

Listening to Cinema Show off Seconds Out at the moment and then I saw your avatar and it took me back to my youth...lol

Thanks...if you recognize it you are a true prog fan.

Apr 13, 2009 at 5:57 AM Post #34 of 48
emerson, lake and palmer

Apr 13, 2009 at 6:00 AM Post #35 of 48
damn, beaten.

Apr 13, 2009 at 1:09 PM Post #36 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by asmox /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Emerson, Lake, & Palmer

Quote:

Originally Posted by logwed /img/forum/go_quote.gif
emerson, lake and palmer

thanks guys ! will check them out
biggrin.gif

Apr 13, 2009 at 4:46 PM Post #37 of 48
I'm curious to hear your opinion about them, ELP is really a love or hate band, some considers their production the most boring, "soulless" and pretentious prog rock around, some others love those "overlong instrumental pieces that seem to go nowhere, with no structure at all etc. etc."...let's see in what category you will fall
biggrin.gif

if you are going to buy some ELP, their only siginficant albums are the first four, Self-Titled, Trilogy, Tarkus, Brain Salad Surgery...Love beach is pretty awful...the two Works albums are nothing special...

Apr 15, 2009 at 1:53 PM Post #40 of 48
I consider Yes to be the greatest band of all time, regardless of genre.

Other truly great prog bands include early Genesis (before Phil Collins ruined them by going pop), King Crimson, ELP, Gentle Giant, and Jethro Tull.

The only contemporary attempt at prog that I have tried and liked so far is Secret Machines. (I tried and did not like Spock's Beard, Muse, and Mars Volta.)

Apr 15, 2009 at 5:49 PM Post #42 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by schizo1989 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
a list of 100 prog cds
TOP Progressive Rock Music Albums List

i actually like a lot of it too
biggrin.gif

but disagree with some of the rankings ;x

Some of those I have not heard of (particularly those with foreign language names that were never released in the US that I know of.)
Some others are not prog in my book (Mahavishnu Orchestra is jazz fusion, Frank Zappa's Hot Rats is jazz/blues, Rush is borderline prog but mostly metal, Tangerine Dream is electronica/jazz, etc.)

Apr 20, 2009 at 11:42 PM Post #43 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by Meliboeus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm curious to hear your opinion about them, ELP is really a love or hate band, some considers their production the most boring, "soulless" and pretentious prog rock around, some others love those "overlong instrumental pieces that seem to go nowhere, with no structure at all etc. etc."...let's see in what category you will fall
biggrin.gif

if you are going to buy some ELP, their only siginficant albums are the first four, Self-Titled, Trilogy, Tarkus, Brain Salad Surgery...Love beach is pretty awful...the two Works albums are nothing special...

A lot of prog rock told a story through the entire album. If you listen to "Love Beach" the entire second side tells of a love story that is actually quite original in it's content (gotta listen to it...won't spoil it). You also must understand that progressive rock is an attempt to be "classical" music so it has many tempo changes and movements to it so it is something that must be listened to in it's entirety to understand what it is. Give it another try with this in mind.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back