Product Launch VE7
Jun 26, 2021 at 5:04 AM Post #48 of 48
Can you elaborate some? And to what type of music do you tend to listen? Thanks

I would very much like to describe my impressions in more detail, unfortunately I understand English better than I could communicate, so I have to take DeepL to help me out... Hopefully it's more or less understandable...

So first of all, I have absolutely no measuring equipment, only my ears, I'm also not a professional musician or producer. In addition, of course, the playback device also has an influence. Currently I have only the FiiO M11 Pro and the Hiby R3 Pro, but had for a while also the Astell&Kern SR75, there were quite noticeable differences audible. To me, the FiiO seems more neutral. What I prefer. And with which I can go to the VE7.

My test session is now again about 5 weeks ago, so I can not directly compare en universal with the custom. Well, I could, the service at earline.ch is great, I could probably visit there again at any time. So, it's just my memory, but I think the universal was colder sounding than the custom. The Custom is on the warmer side with not quite as tangy highs. That in turn is less tiring, so listening for hours is no problem. The VE7 has only one problem anyway, if you can or should call it that: Berkhan already mentioned it in his test and I may quote him:
"(With Metal music, for example, the highs can get overwhelming because for that type of music) an IEM should be a bit more forgiving and maybe "tamed" to some degree to sound more relaxed and smooth. The VE7 is not that type of an IEM. It needs a great source and great recordings to show its full potential. It's so transparent and resolving, so you might not get away from a badly recorded song or an inadequate source."

I could probably confirm the first part (in brackets) if I had the universal. I can definitely confirm part 2 concerning the "not so great" recordings. Some mixing engineers may like a boomy, rumbling bass or they don't know any better. The VE7 can not know, that I don't like that. But that is not the fault of the VE7. They (it? he?) can do bass, very deep bass like on John Martyn's "The Sky is crying", but in this song, for me the bass level is at the upper limit. Fast bass on the other hand like on Sting's "Fortress around your heart" or Alanis Morissette's "You oughta know" I've never heard better.
However, if anyone has a tip for a cable that doesn't boost anything but lowers the bass a bit, I would probably consider that one for me.
Surprisingly, I seem to recall that the Universal fit's bass was punchier on Ibeyi's "I wanna be like you," the drums on Dire Straits "Telegraph Road" from minute 11:00 even more like a whip, the snare drums on Kings of Leon's "Knocked up" more dominant. Simply put, the Universal Fit seemed more "in your face" to me, the Custom more restrained but by no means boring. Probably more suitable for longer listening though, very much with a big grin on your face.
Yes, it took me a short time to switch from the very neutral Pro Phile 8 to the VE7, I won't give away the PP8 either, but now it's VE7 time.

If I may mention Berkhan again, the fit of the universal is indeed so good, a custom is not mandatory. I tested with the same spin fits as I use on the PP8 and it just fit practically perfect. I somehow didn't think about it any longer, as it was clear to me in advance that, if the performance was right, I would want to have these little darlings personalized. And not to mention, the fit of the customs are perfect, Vision Ears did an outstandig job again.

Below the playlist, by which the VE7 had to go through. Not complete, I was already prematurely overwhelmed.
https://tidal.com/browse/playlist/af5b9a36-b6e9-4e58-bd9a-c70713390348

Or on Spotify:

@morndewey : My favourite playlist thanks to Spotifys Discover Weekly and Radio Paradise has been growing to more than 400 tracks over the years. The list above is a little bit of everything from this playlist, because these are the songs (that I know) where the headphones can show what they can do in terms of soundstage, bass, guitar solos, vocals, wind instruments. Or simply because I love them and headphones I pay a lot of money for have to be able to play them in a compelling way.
In addition to that I regularly listen to the good old titans like Led Zeppelin, Dire Straits, Rolling Stones, Fleetwood Mac, Jimi Hendrix... as well as Drum n' Bass, Trance from the 90's (for the sake of the good old days)... the list is practically endless.
I'm not interested in classical music (yet), and I'm just discovering jazz, my favorite jazz album so far is Dave Brubeck's "Concord on a summer night."

In conclusion, I can only say, in my humble opinion, the VE7 plays everything excellently, provided the quality is right.
Are you missing the bass a bit, that is probably more feasible with a cable than the opposite.

I haven't spent money for such a good cause in a long time. I do not regret any cent paid and that should be the main thing, right?

You can't go wrong with the VE7.

Enjoy your weekend folks.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back