Problems with Unique Melody
Oct 3, 2015 at 8:12 PM Post #16 of 52
  I don't know if I would get my money back. I mean, at first I bought the universal Mentor. Then, I sent it back for reshelling as custom, so if I made a claim I'd only get back the money from the reshelling (I guess?). To make it even worse, I also sent to them my custom Merlin for repair (the cable socket broke down), so now they have my two custom IEMs (for a value of around USD 2500) in their hands and there's -apparently- nothing I can do about it.

I agree with onebigunion, UM labs should make themselves responsible for the actions of their agents.

I had no idea that the Unique Melody web site was not run by UM. I find that very deceptive. The site gives the appearance of being a factory site. I feel for your problem. Unfortunately, none of the laws regarding buyer protection apply in China. 

I am curious, since their web site is not theirs, how did you contact the factory directly and get a response? Where did that information come from? I think it would be useful if you could post the factory direct email information. I guess I never had that. I always though that the web site was theirs and the contact information on it was in fact the factory. Now I know it is not.

Oct 4, 2015 at 3:48 AM Post #17 of 52
  I had no idea that the Unique Melody web site was not run by UM. I find that very deceptive. The site gives the appearance of being a factory site. I feel for your problem. Unfortunately, none of the laws regarding buyer protection apply in China. 

I am curious, since their web site is not theirs, how did you contact the factory directly and get a response? Where did that information come from? I think it would be useful if you could post the factory direct email information. I guess I never had that. I always though that the web site was theirs and the contact information on it was in fact the factory. Now I know it is not.

Hey Chodi. I got that information from DeLuX's post, right below my OP. Look here: http://www.head-fi.org/t/780341/problems-with-unique-melody#post_11901560

Oct 4, 2015 at 5:22 AM Post #18 of 52

Hey Chodi. I got that information from DeLuX's post, right below my OP. Look here: http://www.head-fi.org/t/780341/problems-with-unique-melody#post_11901560

Thanks for the info. I am floored by their response. I am also very curious as to exactly who is Rachael? She does not write like a Chinese writing English. She says "I am sorry for the mess-up". I can't imagine a Chinese writing that phrase. If the Australian ran off with your money he was still acting as their agent through what appeared as their factory web site. So from any business standpoint they should accept the responsibility.

I've spent a considerable amount of money buying their products and this is not making me feel  comfortable.

Oct 4, 2015 at 5:38 AM Post #19 of 52
Now they have my custom Mentors for re-shell  (1500 USD), and from no reply with 07.09.2015, I write them every day one message. Too I don't know what to do

Fernito, they reply you? (Tell them that a problem not only at you)

Oct 4, 2015 at 7:19 AM Post #20 of 52
  Now they have my custom Mentors for re-shell  (1500 USD), and from no reply with 07.09.2015, I write them every day one message. Too I don't know what to do

Fernito, they reply you? (Tell them that a problem not only at you)

Nothing so far...

Oct 5, 2015 at 1:44 AM Post #21 of 52
 Given Australia's tough consumer laws, you should focus your complaints on the (now ex-) Australian distributor. IANAL but you could tell them you are going to contact the Department of Fair Trading if they don't give you the product you paid for. That would mean they'd either have to refund you the money or send it on as required.

Oct 8, 2015 at 6:20 AM Post #22 of 52
Hai guys. Somehow good to hear that I'm not the only one having problems with them.

I ordered a SF5 reshell once, I also had communication problems back then, but I recieved the reshell eventually after 2 Months.

Now I ordered my Merlin on the 25. April. As it wasn't my first order, I knew I should get a shipping label to print out, and a internal order form to send alongside my impressions. But I never did, so I asked them to kindly send me those.

They then answered me almost one freaking month later on the 21. May. At least with the form and the label attached.
But when I wanted to send my Impressions on the 1. June I noticed, the order form had my old address as "shipping back address" on it, even though I ordered with my new one. So I had to ask another time if they could change the address on the form.
I didn't get any answer. Until now. Nothing. Never.
So after a month, I just corrected the address myself on the form with a pen, and send my impressions with it.

At some time last month I send another question via their system on the shop page - Again, no answer.

And now their page is down for like forever. This is really pissing me off. They got 900$ of me, won't do anything and don't even answer to my questions.
Way to make money. Nice.

Oct 8, 2015 at 6:58 AM Post #23 of 52
I have had some frustrations with UM products, myself, going back to the original Global promotion, 4 yrs or so ago, so I have no special reason to 'defend' UM, but, at the same time, I feel it is important to be open in this thread about exactly who each dissatisfied customer was dealing with, when problems arose.

In my case, it was due to a combination of factors, partly including UMLab being snowed-under with global promotion orders, partly their UK agent (the now defunct 'Amp City') letting their obligations slide & fibbing to their customers rather than being totally up-front about lead-times/progress, etc. etc.

Ironically, it was UM Global (the Australian agent), who stepped in, at that time, and brought the situation back on track, after I contacted them for assistance. It was that same Australian agent whom I also contacted some time later, when my Miracle shells cracked (I was informed that this was not an isolated incident, and was due to a new lab technician, at the time, not UV-curing the acrylic for sufficient time to yield a thick-enough shell). Again, I found UM Global efficient and helpful, so I am saddened to hear that this same Australian agent might be at the epicenter of some of the frustrations being voiced within this current thread.

Coming back to the present day, and the frustrations being aired in this thread:

If 'UM Global', and/or some other agent(s) were the recipients of the money, then UM Lab (China) do not really deserve to be tarred with the same brush. Likewise, if, perhaps, any of UM's numerous other agents were recipients of anyone's cash, then they should be identified, rather than simply calling-out 'Unique Melody' or 'UM'.   None of us know what may be occurring, behind the scenes, between UMLab and their agents. For all we know, UMLab may be very diligently pursuing one or more agents, at any given time, to rectify customer issues that have been brought to their attention. UMLab may even have lost-out more substantially than their customers - we just don't know and probably never will.

If I had to guess, I would guess that the situation might be due to ill-health, cashflow difficulties, or some other factor, rather than deliberate foul play. I say this because my experience was one of dealing with someone with integrity, who did care about customer satisfaction.

Another point worth noting, in relation to directly emailing UMLab, is that, last I knew, there were no English-speakers at UMLab. This might have changed during the intervening years, or perhaps not.

So, I'm neither defending nor criticising UMLab, here. I'm just emphasising that if UMLab weren't involved in the transaction, then it really isn't fair to blame them for the actions of an agent, even though it would be nice if they elected to cover all the (alleged) shortcomings of one or more agents. But, heck, there might be a hundred or more such customers, for all we know, and it wouldn't really be fair to expect UMLab to lose many thousands of dollars to compensate for one or more 3rd-parties whom they may have entered into distribution agreements with, in good faith.

Currawong's pragmatic advice is, IMO, accurate. Pursue the agent with whom you entered into a contractual agreement, and with whom you engaged in a financial transaction. Also consider going the creditcard refund route, if you paid via creditcard.

Good luck, all of you. I hope things eventually level out and you get your products or appropriate recompense.

Oct 8, 2015 at 8:27 AM Post #24 of 52
Mython; Your point regarding the fact that UM has no English speaking employees goes to the heart of the issue. I myself have not had any problem with my UM products but if I did I would expect that they could respond to an email in the international language used for business. UM is operating on a multi-national scale selling their products world wide. I would expect them to employ at least one person who could communicate in English. They cannot expect their dealers to always be enough to translate all their customers concerns from around the world. I have been to China on business many times and I can tell you that most Chinese companies doing serious business for export have some English speaking Chinese on their staff. It is not that difficult to find such employees in the Chinese work market.

Oct 8, 2015 at 9:36 AM Post #25 of 52
  Mython; Your point regarding the fact that UM has no English speaking employees goes to the heart of the issue. I myself have not had any problem with my UM products but if I did I would expect that they could respond to an email in the international language used for business. 

I'd actually be happy if they responded in any language. Atleast a respond.

Oct 9, 2015 at 2:48 AM Post #26 of 52
I've had (and currently have) problems with shells cracking. No warranty was ever offered, in fact even the one I was (am) entitled to has been denied. I can't see the "good faith" of UM Labs, even if I personally believe that Stephen Guo would like to help me. This doesn't matter though, as he's not the one dictating policy.

So, (in my case at least) it's UM Labs (the central entity) which is at fault and which is not standing by their product.

Oct 9, 2015 at 3:13 AM Post #27 of 52
I've also had my shell crack on me. It was a um mentor. wont be buying anymore um products..and same goes for Jh due to the fact that they just keep bringing out a new fking iem one right after another. Also don't show the best quality control proven from me and a lot of other head fiers.

Oct 15, 2015 at 5:36 AM Post #28 of 52
UPDATE: got a mail from UM saying that my CIEMs would be shipped today. Some minutes ago I received a tracking number. They shipped it via FedEx.

Oct 15, 2015 at 7:01 AM Post #30 of 52
Very happy to hear that you guys got your problems resolved. Interesting timing. I wonder if someone from UM is reading this thread? Eventually if they want to stay in business they will learn how important communication is with their customers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back