Problems with Unique Melody
Sep 8, 2015 at 9:50 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 52

Fernito

100+ Head-Fier
Hey guys.

I've tried to contact them since 8th of August asking for an order (they are customizing my Mentor, which they have in their hands since June), but they haven't replied back. I've send like 5 mails already, and I have not received a single word back.

Have you experienced these kind of problems with this company before? I'm starting to get a little worried.

Sep 8, 2015 at 1:56 PM Post #2 of 52
Their website says "Down for Maintenance

This store is currently unavailable due to a change in management. It should be available again shortly.

We apologize for any inconvenience caused. For order information please email service@uniquemelody.org"

Hope it works out alright for you!

Sep 8, 2015 at 2:02 PM Post #3 of 52
I'll send them a mail to the address you pointed out. Thanks!

Sep 29, 2015 at 7:34 PM Post #4 of 52
OK, so I contacted them and, basically, they won't send me the customs I have already paid for because their agent (I made the purchase via their Australian agent) hasn't settled the payment to them (with "them" I mean UM lab).

This has been the conversation between us so far:

Hello Rachel,

Any news on this? I'm sorry to say, but I can't say I'm happy with Unique Melody's service. It's been 2 months since my customs are ready, and they haven't been sent to me yet. Do you have any explanation for this?

Cheers,

Fernando.
-------------------------------------- Dear Fernando,
First, I am so sorry for the mess-up.

I am the service consultant of UM manufacturer. 
The website, [size=12pt]Um-global / Um-international[/size][size=12pt] was ran by our Australian Agent before. We bought it out last month. So the website is temporary closed at the moment for content modifications.[/size]

You placed the order and paid online, to our agent
So far, the agent hasn't settled the payment to us yet. We could not sent you the repaired units until payment received from the agent. 

As you have seen, I sent him and resent him many times. Still no answer. 
But I will keep pushing him.

Here is the mobile number. of the agent, Matt :XXXXXXXXXXXXX. Please call him directly. 
--------------------------------------------------------- Hello Rachel,

I don't know why the customer (in this case, me) should suffer the consequences of the changes in your organisation, and also the lack of communication between you and your agents. For me, the obvious way of proceeding would be that you send me the ear pieces right away, and then you fix the problem with your agents.

I'm sorry if I'm sounding a little bit rude, but you have to understand me; this situation is unbelievable. Sorry to say, but I will really think twice before buying another product from you guys.
-----------------------------------------------------
Dear Fernando, I understand that you are upset and angry about the mess-up. I feel sorry about that.
But please allow me to explain one more time. 
We are the manufacturer, and you paid to the distributor, so please ask them for your products. 
I am trying my best to deal with them. 
Your units would be shipped out right away once the payment settled from the distributor

I really understand her point, but I still think UM, as a company, should respond for my products. It's not my fault that their agents are nowhere to be found. I don't know guys, I'm really upset about this, so maybe I'm not thinking clearly on this one. I'd really appreciate your point of view.

Sep 30, 2015 at 2:56 AM Post #5 of 52
I've had a number of problems dealing with UM.

Cables:
I bought a very pricey cable from them, which developed a fault after about 3 weeks. Then another one, then another one. The problem went away when I started using Ultimate Ears cables (learning from my past I ordered 3 cables, after two years I'm still using the first one). They get away with it because they are in China and our consumer protection laws do not apply to them.

Custom shells:
Once a year, two years in a row,  both my earphones develop cracks. How that happens is beyond me, as I use the hardcase they provided. Somehow they always figure that I'm out of warranty, as they either claim negligence or that for some reason my last reshell doesn't qualify me for it. Again, if this was happening here in the UK, they would be legally obligated to fix them, free of charge. Last time I sent them back it took about two months for the earphones to turn up (at the wrong address, not the one I specified for them to send it back to (this was also claimed to be my fault)).

Service:
If the above wasn't enough, it sometimes took them weeks to answer my emails. They regularly sat on it until I started sending them emails once a day to stop sitting on their hands.

Now, I'm not sure what it is that would make me a happy customer with them again, but I'm already reading up on others' experiences with custom reshells.

I would say that now that they have a lot of competition, so there's every reason not to have to go with them anymore. I no longer see any benefit to dealing with them.

As for the customs you already paid for, if I were you, I'd raise a fraud alert with the bank that issued the card you used for the transaction.

HTH.

Oct 2, 2015 at 5:15 PM Post #8 of 52
I have owned the UM Mentor and I currently own the UM Mason. I sent them emails about getting an upgraded cable and never got a reply. Finally ordered from a third party vendor. I think UM has a problem with English. Many of these small Chinese companies don't employ anyone who has English skills. There is a guy who is fluent in English who is an agent for the company and he helps to communicate if you contact him directly. I think he is located in the US. I don't have his email handy or I would post it. I think he also helps to distribute their product to some oversea dealers. Probably for the same reason.

Oct 3, 2015 at 10:28 AM Post #11 of 52
  From the company which sells earphones for 1500 usd, I didn't expect such relation customer! I send to message 8 September, they yet didn't answer.

That was my point. They build great products, some of the best out there, but you have to buy through one of their dealers to get service or answers to questions. UM's approach is no different than many Chinese companies. They leave all service and communication to their dealers. If you send them a direct request for information it is unlikely you will even get a reply. I know because I tried. When I bought the Mason from a contact in Japan I knew I would never get any direct service. When you consider the customs charges on my end I actually paid more than retail for them. Buying UM products through their local dealers here you will find some insane mark up. The Mason is not even available through our local dealers.

Oct 3, 2015 at 12:04 PM Post #12 of 52
Ок, but UM manufacturer has to be responsible for the agents, they sell earphones UM. In case of problems with the agent they have to settle problems in favor of the buyer. 

And now they write that bought the site and all problems to the agent

Oct 3, 2015 at 2:50 PM Post #13 of 52
As far as I'm concerned, every time I hear Unique Melody, I just hear Unique Melody, as I don't see their corporate structure. So, everything else is buck-passing.

If this company was anywhere in the EU, US or some other country with decent consumer protection laws, they wouldn't be allowed to get away with their practices.

I have a direct quote from them, where they say that their cables are never under any warranty at all.

How is that for standing by your product?

Oct 3, 2015 at 5:27 PM Post #14 of 52
The response from this company is nonsense and,in my opinion, despicable. You paid their agent, by definition this is someone they voluntarily agreed to a contractual agreement with. By definition, their "agent" is them, their legal representative. I would be livid at this. Do you have the option of doing a charge back on your credit card. I have no doubt you would win. I have added this company to the list of those I will never do business with under any circumstances. Frankly if they are this incompetent in choosing their legal agents, and this uncaring about their customers, suggesting you do their work communicating with their agent for them - really?, they don't deserve to be in business. I hope you get your product or your money back. Thank you for the useful and informative post.

Oct 3, 2015 at 6:01 PM Post #15 of 52
I don't know if I would get my money back. I mean, at first I bought the universal Mentor. Then, I sent it back for reshelling as custom, so if I made a claim I'd only get back the money from the reshelling (I guess?). To make it even worse, I also sent to them my custom Merlin for repair (the cable socket broke down), so now they have my two custom IEMs (for a value of around USD 2500) in their hands and there's -apparently- nothing I can do about it.

I agree with onebigunion, UM labs should make themselves responsible for the actions of their agents.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back