Problems with Shure SE215
May 4, 2012 at 4:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Myrine

New Head-Fier
I purchased a pair of Shure SE215 IEMs a couple of weeks ago.  It wasn't until I purchased them and wore them for around 15 minutes did I realize my ears didn't fit the plastic casing that enclosed the drivers.  There's something a bit off and I blame my small ears.  They start to BURN after about 15 minutes.  I have tried every which way to adjust them but nothing seems to work.  My ears always starts to get sore after around the 10-minute mark.  Tom Lee won't take refunds for IEMs due to "hygenic reasons" and Shure Canada was absolutely no help at all.  I have experienced this kind of pain before when I would be wearing my headset at work all day.  I'm not willing to shell out another $100+ to get molds made for my ears just so these puppies can fit properly.  Any suggestions?

May 4, 2012 at 4:42 PM Post #2 of 13
Without seeing how you are wearing them and what they look like from different positions in your ear, I think it is very difficult to provide any feedback.

I'll try a couple of questions though:

Are you using the 'memory wire' to ensure it's doing it's part in holding the IEMs in position? 
Where exactly is the pain? 
Have you tried different tips to see if that helps with the positioning?
If you had this type of problem before, how did you fix it then? 

May 4, 2012 at 6:06 PM Post #3 of 13
I have tried all the sizes of the memory foam and silicone ear buds that the device came with. I also tried adjusting the wires every which way that I can think of. The issue seems to be the shape of the plastic casing which is designed to fit snugly within the concha region of the outer ear. In my case, nothing I have done was able to relieve that slight pressure the casing puts against a specific part of my outer ear. That's why the pain builds up over time and can only be relieved by me not wearing them.

I love the sound quality, and these are the first pair of earphones I paid over $40 for as a birthday present to myself, so you can imagine how frustrated and upset I am. It is to my understanding that IEMs are notoriously difficult to resell. Both Shure and the retailer refuse to process a refund as it is their company policy not to. Any help our advice you have are very much appreciated.

Sep 26, 2012 at 10:26 PM Post #4 of 13
I recently got the Shure SE215, love the sound but the ridge along the outer casing really digs into my outer ear as well.  I'm thinking of attaching some foam or felt to the ridge to make it more rounded.  Curse my small concha region!

Sep 26, 2012 at 10:32 PM Post #5 of 13
I recently got the Shure SE215, love the sound but the ridge along the outer casing really digs into my outer ear as well.  I'm thinking of attaching some foam or felt to the ridge to make it more rounded.  Curse my small concha region!

I wouldn't worry about foam or felt. Simply cut that section of your ear off with a sharp razor.

PM me for instructions.

Sep 26, 2012 at 11:08 PM Post #7 of 13
Well after 20 minutes of cutting two thin strips of felt adhesive and attaching these strips to the very base of the bodies where the ridge appears the problem has disappeared, however a new one has come up...my ears are slightly itchy now. Will upgrade to some pliable foam later on. If this issue starts to plague more small ear folk I will include a DIY comfort mod.

Sep 27, 2012 at 4:21 PM Post #8 of 13
If you could take pics of your ears with the IEM's in and tell us exactly where it's hurting, we can probably help you better. 

Have you tried contacting the seller about an exchange rather than a refund? They may be more inclined to do so.

Nov 14, 2012 at 11:06 PM Post #9 of 13
I currently own and use the SE215, and have been using them for over a year now, and I've never felt any discomfort whatsoever... It's most likely (and unfortunately) the shape of your ear :\
I guess the only way i can think of to stop it and still be able to use it is to use the right ear phone in your left ear and vice versa, meaning that the body of the bud stays out of your ear...

Jun 12, 2013 at 7:14 PM Post #11 of 13
Just got the se215. Trying to remove the tips but its too stiff and can't even loosen it. Don't want to push it as I may break the nozzle. Had the 425 before and it wasn't this stiff. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Jun 12, 2013 at 8:15 PM Post #12 of 13
Just got the se215. Trying to remove the tips but its too stiff and can't even loosen it. Don't want to push it as I may break the nozzle. Had the 425 before and it wasn't this stiff. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Put the IEMs in a keep fresh bag or similar, then into the freezer for 2-3 mins, this should make it slightly easier to remove the tips.

Jun 12, 2013 at 8:57 PM Post #13 of 13
Put the IEMs in a keep fresh bag or similar, then into the freezer for 2-3 mins, this should make it slightly easier to remove the tips.
Will try that. Thanks Nook.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back