Problems with Rockbox'd Clip Zip, HELP PLEASE
Apr 23, 2012 at 3:16 AM Post #16 of 28

Quote:
Then you didn't get them from Apple iTunes, they simply don't sell WMA files, never did.
They're probably DRMed (Digital Rights Management). It prevents playback on unauthorised devices. Sansa's web page for the Clip Zip says "secure WMA" is supported, which would explain why you were able to play them with the stock firmware.
If I'm right, there's no way to play those files with Rockbox. Now you know why DRM is evil and why you should never buy such files.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_rights_management

No I'm positive I got them from iTunes. I only ever bought 3 albums from iTunes and 2 of them won't play on my Rockbox'd Zip. Trust me I'm 100% sure I got them from iTunes. If I even go to my My Computer > Music folder those 3 albums are under iTunes media while the rest is under Amazon MP3.

On a side not do you know where I could dl 320kb/s music? I guess 256kb/s wouldn't be bad either (Rhapsody and Amazon MP3 does that, right?) but I'd really prefer the higher bitrate. Lossless takes up too much space so I don't really want that. :p

Apr 23, 2012 at 3:28 AM Post #18 of 28

Quote:
I'm 100% sure iTunes never sold WMA files. You're confused. Contact Apple Customer Service if you don't believe me.

No, dude. I'm 100% sure I bought them from iTunes. I know because I dl'd them the very same day I got my Nano 6G.

Ok after a little more checking, I checked the file that's on my computer and the file's .m4a. When I put them on the Zip, though, the computer recommended I convert them and I just clicked yes without paying much attention.

So basically these are .m4a files and when I put them on the Zip they got converted to .wma.

Also I will never deal with Apple customer support again, terrible service.

Apr 23, 2012 at 3:36 AM Post #19 of 28
Ok after a little more checking, I checked the file that's on my computer and the file's .m4a. When I put them on the Zip, though, the computer recommended I convert them and I just clicked yes without paying much attention.

That's the source of your confusion. I did ask if your files ended in .m4a!
Try transfering the .m4a files again without conversion (just say "No").

Apr 23, 2012 at 4:11 AM Post #20 of 28

Quote:
That's the source of your confusion. I did ask if your files ended in .m4a!
Try transfering the .m4a files again without conversion (just say "No").

Did that, but for some reason it didn't even ask me to convert this time. Also it turns out my Zip doesn't have enough space for The Complete Led Zeppelin if I don't convert them. So I had to manually pick out the songs from Mothership and create a separate folder for them, then put them on my Zip. Lol. :p

Thanks for the help.

Apr 23, 2012 at 4:12 AM Post #21 of 28
On a side not do you know where I could dl 320kb/s music? I guess 256kb/s wouldn't be bad either (Rhapsody and Amazon MP3 does that, right?) but I'd really prefer the higher bitrate. Lossless takes up too much space so I don't really want that. :p

I don't know. Apparently Amazon MP3s are ~256 kbps VBR. iTunes is ~256 kbps VBR AAC.

Apr 23, 2012 at 4:20 AM Post #23 of 28

Quote:
I don't know. Apparently Amazon MP3s are ~256 kbps VBR. iTunes is ~256 kbps VBR AAC.

What's the difference between the 2? Also I did some modifications with the titles of my songs to get them more organized for my tastes. They show up like I want them to under files but for some reason in Database they show up unmodified. Also I already took out The Complete Led Zeppelin from my Zip but it still shows up under Database. It may not be a big deal but it really bugs me, lol.

Apr 23, 2012 at 4:27 AM Post #24 of 28
What's the difference between the 2?

Between MP3 and AAC? AAC is the successor to MP3, and is arguably more advanced. Both formats at 256 kbps are likely to be audibly transparent though (i.e. no audible difference in quality).

They show up like I want them to under files but for some reason in Database they show up unmodified.

Don't modify filenames, modify tags, i.e. change their properties in iTunes or whatever. I don't know what you're doing but I'm betting it would make me cringe :-/

Apr 23, 2012 at 4:35 AM Post #25 of 28

Quote:
Between MP3 and AAC? AAC is the successor to MP3, and is arguably more advanced. Both formats at 256 kbps are likely to be audibly transparent though (i.e. no audible difference in quality).
Don't modify filenames, modify tags, i.e. change their properties in iTunes or whatever. I don't know what you're doing but I'm betting it would make me cringe :-/

Oh I see. I'm just making changes to some titles. All songs from my Mothership album are from The Complete Led Zeppelin so they're numbered 13 01, 13 02, 13 03 and so on. I just removed the 13 part. I went to properties to take the 13 out and change the album from "The Complete Led Zeppelin (Remastered)" to "Mothership". The Database recognized the album name change but not the removal of the 13 from each song number. x.x

Apr 24, 2012 at 12:46 AM Post #26 of 28
I seem to remember reading that the 'shuffle' mode works best when run from a playlist rather than directly from the music file directory location.  I forget if the shuffle was less random or not all the files got played, but it's easy enough to slap together a playlist and use the shuffle on that.  I do know there's a mention of it in the manual. 

Apr 24, 2012 at 12:49 AM Post #27 of 28

Quote:
I seem to remember reading that the 'shuffle' mode works best when run from a playlist rather than directly from the music file directory location.  I forget if the shuffle was less random or not all the files got played, but it's easy enough to slap together a playlist and use the shuffle on that.  I do know there's a mention of it in the manual. 

Thanks but I can't seem to figure out how to make a playlist. xP
What I've been doing to shuffle all my songs is Database > Artist > All Tracks

Apr 24, 2012 at 1:15 AM Post #28 of 28

Quote:

Thanks but I can't seem to figure out how to make a playlist. xP
What I've been doing to shuffle all my songs is Database > Artist > All Tracks

I use oddgravity Playlist Creator software on the PC I'm transferring the music from.  Very easy, just drag and drop.  I think you can also do playlist creation directly on the RB'd Zip, again, take a look at the manual.
Good luck, have fun !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back