Problems with return case on italian Amazon site - any advice?
Aug 14, 2020 at 3:43 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

larzy

100+ Head-Fier
Hi all

I need some advice, as I have no idea what to do any longer.

In beginning of June I bought a warehouse deal on the italian Amazon site - a used Sony NW-ZX507 walkman in condition as new directly sold from Amazon.

Because of the low volume and no high-gain on the european model, I chose to return it and did so on June 22. Bought a shipping label myself from danish/scandinavian post service PostNord with track and trace. Packed the walkman and took a picture of the package when the label was on the package. It was delivered on July 3rd, and at the end of July I contacted them regarding status of the refund. I was able to contact them in english but they only replied in italian. So I had to use Google translate. However, they first claimed they had received an "unsold" item and wrote that I had to return the right item in order for the refund to happen.

I wrote back that I had returned the rightful item. After some communication back and forth, they changed this to they had received an empty package. Although the tracking showed that the package weighed about 0,6 kg.

My problem is that after numberous emails and chats, they are not willing to help or do something. I have tried to ask them to at least tell me what the box contained if they say it doesn't contain the walkman but they refuse to tell this or send the item back or anything. Which is quite frustrating as it's a lot of money. I have tried to get them to forward the case to a manager but they keep writing the same thing that they received an unsold item and that I must return the right item for the refund to clear.

Any ideas what I can do in this case? I feel like I have no options except face that I lost about 360 euros.

Aug 15, 2020 at 1:42 PM Post #3 of 5
I had a simiilar situation with Amazon.jp. I followed return instructions to a "T" and paid $90 return shipping via DHL. I took pictures of everything before I sent them the package. I followed the DHL tracking and it was delivered. Then, I received an email stating that the seal was broken and considered used, so they "destroyed" the earphones and was told that there was nothing Amazon.jp can do. I was left with a huge credit card charge, a $90 shipping cost ding, and nothing in return.

So, I called my CC company and opened a dispute case with a risk that all reverse charges can also be reversed. I supplied them with my purchase order invoice, all email correspondence and translations, DHL receipt and tracking number, and waited about 3 weeks for the final outcome of the "temporary" reverse charge. In the end, the reverse charge was in my favor and became permanent. I'm not sure if the nearly 30 year old account age with perfect standing had anything to do with the favorable outcome, but I consider myself lucky.

Lesson learned is that other Amazon sites from different countries may not have the same liberal return policy as Amazon USA. My take away was to never buy anything at other international Amazon sites if there's a chance of not keeping the item. If I had to do it all over again, I would've not started a return, but instead sell it.

Good luck with your situation.

Aug 15, 2020 at 2:33 PM Post #4 of 5
I don't use scamazon at all. I find ebay and paypal a lot safer and the prices don't vary every time you refresh the web page.

Aug 25, 2020 at 7:09 PM Post #5 of 5
Hi all

I need some advice, as I have no idea what to do any longer.

In beginning of June I bought a warehouse deal on the italian Amazon site - a used Sony NW-ZX507 walkman in condition as new directly sold from Amazon.

Because of the low volume and no high-gain on the european model, I chose to return it and did so on June 22. Bought a shipping label myself from danish/scandinavian post service PostNord with track and trace. Packed the walkman and took a picture of the package when the label was on the package. It was delivered on July 3rd, and at the end of July I contacted them regarding status of the refund. I was able to contact them in english but they only replied in italian. So I had to use Google translate. However, they first claimed they had received an "unsold" item and wrote that I had to return the right item in order for the refund to happen.

I wrote back that I had returned the rightful item. After some communication back and forth, they changed this to they had received an empty package. Although the tracking showed that the package weighed about 0,6 kg.

My problem is that after numberous emails and chats, they are not willing to help or do something. I have tried to ask them to at least tell me what the box contained if they say it doesn't contain the walkman but they refuse to tell this or send the item back or anything. Which is quite frustrating as it's a lot of money. I have tried to get them to forward the case to a manager but they keep writing the same thing that they received an unsold item and that I must return the right item for the refund to clear.

Any ideas what I can do in this case? I feel like I have no options except face that I lost about 360 euros.
This happened to me as well. They sent me a pair of Brown Shure AONIC 50 Headphones when I ordered Black. I called before I returned them and the rep said, no problem, just pack it up and return it with comments. Well, lo and behold, they emailed me and said they are not able to process the refund because I sent back the wrong item. I asked them to provide a photo of what they sent me, but they could not produce that, although they said they had a photo of what I sent back. I called in and spoke with a "supervisor" (probably just a regular employee that's been there a while) and they were a real a$$hole. Right off the bat, they knew they weren't going to help me and thought I was scamming them. Anyway, after 5 mins of back and forth, they basically said there's nothing more to talk about and hung up. Well, I called back and spoke with a different person and he helped me right away. He was able to process the refund himself.

So, basically, you have to keep calling back until you get someone that's willing to help you. Yes, there are a lot of scammers out there, but they need to have better trained people out there to determine which issues are likely valid and which ones are not. Unfortunately, there are quite a few incompetent people working in the Amazon call centers.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back