Problems with ODAC
Nov 8, 2013 at 12:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

wdahm519

500+ Head-Fier
Final Update:

So another update on the ODAC issue. This past Tuesday I had shipped the ODAC to JDS Labs for inspection. On Friday I received the ODAC back with a note that there was an issue with the USB section of the ODAC, and it was replaced for free!

Thanks JDS Labs, A+ company!

Definitely will order from them again, very easy to deal with their customer service and they were very helpful

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I posted this in the dedicated sources section, but I want to post this here too because usually us DIY guys know better anyways...

I'm having some trouble with my ODAC. When I plug it in to certain computers or sources, it will work, and with others it refuses to output sound. See examples below:

Windows 7 Desktop (works with other DAC's over same USB port) --> USB Cable --> ODAC = "Windows doesn't recognize this device"

Windows 8 Laptop --> USB Cable --> ODAC = WORKS!

Samsung Galaxy S3 (Rooted, with with other DAC's) --> USB OTG Cable --> ODAC = Device not recognized by Linux

Modded Squeezebox Touch --> USB Cable --> ODAC = WORKS!

So what the heck is going on here? Is this a common issue? Is it just shoddy hardware?

PS: It makes a high pitched noise for a moment when it powers up, much like an old school camera flash would. Is this a problem?

Thanks!

Nov 8, 2013 at 2:26 PM Post #2 of 19
Could you also describe that "high-pitched sound" as a sort of quick "pop" sound?  Or is it like some kind of whine/screech?

If you have too many devices plugged into the same USB hub, the ODAC may not work.  Every USB hub will have 2 or more USB connectors that link to it, and every hub's "budget" as far as electrical current is a maximum of 500ma.  So whatever devices are plugged into a single hub, regardless of however many they are, must not draw more than 500ma in total between them all or some devices may fail to work properly.  The ODAC runs off of USB entirely, it has no external power source like other DACs, so it probably draws more current than other USB devices.

Also, you are setting the ODAC as the default device under Control Panel > Sounds > Playback Devices, right?  As far as Windows anyway.

Nov 8, 2013 at 5:50 PM Post #3 of 19
are you using a usb cable with a ferrite bead? monoprice is fine, but the odac seems extremely sensitive to noise on the line. I thought I had a bad unit before trying the cable that actually shipped with it.

Nov 8, 2013 at 9:19 PM Post #4 of 19
Just an FYI, but 24-bit 96 KHz USB drivers are known to be a bit buggy.  You may need to work with the drivers on each device to ensure that you have the latest available for that device.

I'm not sure that a ferrite bead in a USB cable (more properly known as a choke) has anything to do with it.  There's a ferrite as big as an electrolytic capacitor on the ODAC PCB.

Nov 8, 2013 at 10:39 PM Post #5 of 19
  Just an FYI, but 24-bit 96 KHz USB drivers are known to be a bit buggy.  You may need to work with the drivers on each device to ensure that you have the latest available for that device.

I'm not sure that a ferrite bead in a USB cable (more properly known as a choke) has anything to do with it.  There's a ferrite as big as an electrolytic capacitor on the ODAC PCB.

I know what you mean but the driver for the ODAC should be built into the chip. Its not supposed to require any extra drivers on Windows, Linux, or Mac. It's supposed to be plug and play.

are you using a usb cable with a ferrite bead? monoprice is fine, but the odac seems extremely sensitive to noise on the line. I thought I had a bad unit before trying the cable that actually shipped with it.

I'm using a 8" or 12" USB cable from Monoprice with a ferrite bead on the mini-USB end and gold-plated connectors, which is what NwAvGuy recommended to be the best cable setup for the ODAC. I use the same cable with a HeadRoom Total BitHead in the same USB port of my Windows 7 Desktop.

Could you also describe that "high-pitched sound" as a sort of quick "pop" sound?  Or is it like some kind of whine/screech?

If you have too many devices plugged into the same USB hub, the ODAC may not work.  Every USB hub will have 2 or more USB connectors that link to it, and every hub's "budget" as far as electrical current is a maximum of 500ma.  So whatever devices are plugged into a single hub, regardless of however many they are, must not draw more than 500ma in total between them all or some devices may fail to work properly.  The ODAC runs off of USB entirely, it has no external power source like other DACs, so it probably draws more current than other USB devices.

Also, you are setting the ODAC as the default device under Control Panel > Sounds > Playback Devices, right?  As far as Windows anyway.

The high-pitched sound lasts about 1/2 a second, and sounds like a whine/screech, usually escalating in frequency like a short sine-sweep.

When I'm running the ODAC, its the only USB device connected, so I think its getting enough power, but that *may* be the problem when running it with Android. However, its unlikely because other people have success running the ODAC off the Galaxy S3 (the phone I'm using),

When the ODAC did show up under Windows, I would set it as the correct playback device, however these days it isn't even recognized by Windows at all (on Windows 7). It doesn't show up as a possible Playback Device because Windows is convinced its broken.

I'm really stumped.

Nov 9, 2013 at 12:06 AM Post #6 of 19

I know what you mean but the driver for the ODAC should be built into the chip. Its not supposed to require any extra drivers on Windows, Linux, or Mac. It's supposed to be plug and play.

The high-pitched sound lasts about 1/2 a second, and sounds like a whine/screech, usually escalating in frequency like a short sine-sweep.

When I'm running the ODAC, its the only USB device connected, so I think its getting enough power, but that *may* be the problem when running it with Android. However, its unlikely because other people have success running the ODAC off the Galaxy S3 (the phone I'm using),

When the ODAC did show up under Windows, I would set it as the correct playback device, however these days it isn't even recognized by Windows at all (on Windows 7). It doesn't show up as a possible Playback Device because Windows is convinced its broken.

I'm really stumped.

You meant to say that Windows already has a compatible generic driver, not that it is built into the device.

There could be something wrong with the device if you are getting that kind of sound.  I could be wrong.
Have you tried swapping the cable out with any other one?

Nov 9, 2013 at 1:17 AM Post #7 of 19
You meant to say that Windows already has a compatible generic driver, not that it is built into the device.

There could be something wrong with the device if you are getting that kind of sound.  I could be wrong.
Have you tried swapping the cable out with any other one?

Yeah..

I've tried different cables. Like I said, I use the same cable with a TotalBithead and its fine. Its definitely not a cable issue. Its the ODAC.

Nov 9, 2013 at 11:17 AM Post #8 of 19
I'd try to exchange it under the circumstances. For reference, I use mine with my galaxy note 2 on a regular basis and never have any sort of audible noise, clipping or distortion.

Nov 9, 2013 at 1:25 PM Post #9 of 19
I should probably mention that the noise on startup isn't hears through headphones, but just normally when I'm near the ODAC and plugging it in to USB. But I think you're right, I will probably have to get a new one. I'm not sure I have any more warranty on this one anymore though.

Nov 9, 2013 at 2:28 PM Post #10 of 19
I should probably mention that the noise on startup isn't heard through headphones, but just normally when I'm near the ODAC and plugging it in to USB. But I think you're right, I will probably have to get a new one. I'm not sure I have any more warranty on this one anymore though.

That's even worse! 
eek.gif

I'm sure JDSLabs would repair it if you asked.  Cost would be on you if it is out-of-warranty.

Nov 9, 2013 at 2:31 PM Post #11 of 19
Sounds like the next step is for me to get in contact with JDSLabs and see what they can do. I'll keep this thread updated so if others experience the same issue, they will know what to expect.

Nov 9, 2013 at 11:51 PM Post #12 of 19
JDS Labs was very quick to respond to my email that I sent them about the ODAC. Here was their reply:

Sorry to hear that. I suspect you have a bad USB connect. Please ship to the address below and we'll inspect:

JDS Labs, Inc.
RMA #XXX
907 N Bluff Rd, Ste 2A
Collinsville, IL 62234

(snip personal information). Anyway, we'll check this out and repair or replace as necessary.

Best regards,

John Seaber
JDS Labs, Inc. | Tel: (314) 252-0936

Its great to see that JDS Labs customer support team knows what their doing. More to follow soon.

Nov 10, 2013 at 3:30 AM Post #13 of 19
I have two ODACs, one from JDSLabs and another from Audiopoutine. Both make the high pitch sound described above on startup when I connect them through USB and they work fine. I've connected them to my Galaxy S3 via OTG cable as well as both my desktop and laptop running windows Vista & 7 and experienced zero problem.

Nov 10, 2013 at 11:05 AM Post #14 of 19
  I have two ODACs, one from JDSLabs and another from Audiopoutine. Both make the high pitch sound described above on startup when I connect them through USB and they work fine. I've connected them to my Galaxy S3 via OTG cable as well as both my desktop and laptop running windows Vista & 7 and experienced zero problem.

The short whine is usually the caps charging. I don't think it affects the function.

Nov 10, 2013 at 12:34 PM Post #15 of 19

The short whine is usually the caps charging. I don't think it affects the function.

I doubt it.  If you're thinking of the large electrolytic caps in photo flashes, it's an oscillating transistor/transformer that causes the whine.  The oscillation is used so that pseudo-AC voltage is created from the batteries, allowing the transformer to boost the voltage enough to fire the flash.

AFAIK, there are no electrolytic capacitors, transformers, or transistor-oscillating circuits on an ODAC and there shouldn't be anything that would cause oscillation, either - except the clock chip.  I don't know enough about it and haven't heard a DAC that does this - but I would suspect something in the clock or USB negotiation that causes it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back