problems with Fiio E10
May 16, 2012 at 4:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

atineiatte

New Head-Fier
so a couple weeks ago, I bought a Fiio E10 on Amazon. It had a problem where after an hour or two of being plugged in, all sound of any kind had static, and sounded a bit "buzzy", which could only be fixed by unplugging and replugging the unit back in. I was prepared to live with this until I noticed that even after replugging the Fiio back in, I still heard static at the beginning of a few songs. I sent it back and purchased a new one, plugged it in and it has the same problem, except I have to unplug and plug it back in every few minutes instead of hour or two. It's not my headphones because I never get this out of my sound card, and it's not the music because it sounds fine through my sound card. Am I doing something wrong, just getting unlucky, or is this just how the E10 is?

May 16, 2012 at 4:45 PM Post #2 of 6
Try these two things:

1.)  Turn down the volume from the PC / Device into the FiiO to 60%.  Use the volume on the FiiO to get the loudness level you want.  This will avoid what is called "clipping" which can lead to the type of distortion you are describing.

2.)  Try a few compressed files.  Say something that has been compressed like an mp3 at 192kbps.

Report back with your findings, but most likely point 1 is you culprit.

May 16, 2012 at 9:17 PM Post #3 of 6
Quote:
Try these two things:

1.)  Turn down the volume from the PC / Device into the FiiO to 60%.  Use the volume on the FiiO to get the loudness level you want.  This will avoid what is called "clipping" which can lead to the type of distortion you are describing.

2.)  Try a few compressed files.  Say something that has been compressed like an mp3 at 192kbps.

Report back with your findings, but most likely point 1 is you culprit.

hey, sorry for late reply, had to go to work
turns out the solution was as easy as switching to a different USB port
slightly surprised but I definitely should've tried that earlier
thanks for your help though, I did lower my PC volume and increase my Fiio volume.

May 18, 2012 at 9:20 AM Post #5 of 6
Quote:

You should never do that if you're inputting to the device digitally then all you'll be doing is lowering the volume of the source for no purpose (the sound-card isn't acting as an amp or DAC and therefore shouldn't clip anything) . If you're sending to the E10 via SPDIF or USB then the volume in Windows should always be 100%.

Are you outputting at a bitrate/frequency that the E10 doesn't support? That sounds like 4000Hz quality (as opposed to 44100 or so).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back