Problems soldering filmcaps
May 6, 2008 at 5:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

utilisateur

100+ Head-Fier
I just started building my first σ22 today
biggrin.gif
all went well untill i came to first bigger caps.
They are metalized polyester filmcaps from avx.

The first leg lends itself to soldering like every other component; when i attack the second leg though,
it feels like the pad dosen't heat up,it takes way to long to reach a temperature where the solder melts in the first place
and it then just sticks to the leg and soldertip.

Is this normal with filmcaps, do they act like giant heatsinks?

I'm using an Aoyue 936 soldering station with a small chisel tip and 62/36/2 solder(Cobar390). I tried 700°F for what felt like a long time but it still feels the same.

max

May 6, 2008 at 5:55 PM Post #2 of 4
Is this leg on a ground pad? The ground pads are probably connected to a ground plane. Even though they are supposed to have thermals around them, these can take along time and more heat to heat up. Try a bit bigger tip if you have it, and turn the temp up a bit more. And of course the usual of keeping the tip between the lead and the pad, clean, a bit of solder on it, etc.

May 6, 2008 at 6:11 PM Post #3 of 4
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pars /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is this leg on a ground pad? The ground pads are probably connected to a ground plane. Even though they are supposed to have thermals around them, these can take along time and more heat to heat up. Try a bit bigger tip if you have it, and turn the temp up a bit more. And of course the usual of keeping the tip between the lead and the pad, clean, a bit of solder on it, etc.

Ah i hadn't thought about that ! Nice,yes aparently they are all on ground!
I will try the next tip size and ~750°F
very_evil_smiley.gif

What's the limit in time/temperature before the cap is in danger?

EDIT:

IT WORKED
lesson learned =)

THANK YOU !!

May 7, 2008 at 5:51 AM Post #4 of 4
experienced techs often use hotter tips (or higher settings on the controller) - blunter profile tips also improve heat conduction

rapidily heating the pcb pad/lead/joint area to quickly solder the joint gives less time for heat to diffuse thru component leads and pcb trace so you actually can do less damage than spending 10's of seconds waiting for the lesser heat source to warm Everything up to soldering temp

I find Pb/Sn solders with rosin flux much easier to work with than the Pb free and "no clean" or water soluble types

Users who are viewing this thread

Back