Problem with UM3X Eartips Come Off on Removing Monitor From Ear
May 31, 2009 at 12:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

Durberg3

Head-Fier
I have been a happy user of the Ety ER 4P for over 10 years and have been a fan of their sound. I recently decided to upgrade and after reading many posts decided to purchase the UM3X. I purchased a UM3X and additional earpieces from Earphonesolutions.

They arrived yesterday and I was able to place the monitors in my ears without problem using the supplied short Comply tips. On removing the monitors from my ears I noted that both tips were left behind in my ear canal and needed to be removed with a tweezers. This happened repeatedly with both the short and long Comply tips provided. I also tried the grey foam tips from my Etys and had the same problem. I inspected the monitor and noticed that the tips were very loose on the noozle and could be removed with minimal pressure. This is very different than with my Etys where the tips are securely on the noozle and cannot be removed without significant force.

Is this a defect in the UM3X or is this normal? I have contacted Earphonesolutions but have not gotten a response yet. I don't want to spend my life walking around with loose eartips in my ears. Thanks for any help.

May 31, 2009 at 12:51 PM Post #2 of 22
That is strange. I own the um2's and i have to twist off the comply tips when i need to change them. The um3x's should be the same. I've not read about eartips doing that on westone iem's but you might want to do a search on it.

May 31, 2009 at 1:49 PM Post #3 of 22
x2 on strange.

The Westone-supplied as well as Shure eartips fit very tightly on both my UM2s and Westone 3's. Something doesn't sound right.

One possibility is that the UM3Xs you got has a smaller than standard nozzle size. Maybe contact the seller and see how it can be resolved?

May 31, 2009 at 4:06 PM Post #4 of 22
Sounds like you got a defective pair of ear phones. I would try to have them replaced. My UM3X fits on the tight side.

I suspect there is some degree of differences with the plastic housings. I remember reading some postings some people had the opposite problem - they had to expose their IEMs to the heat/cold before the ear tips loosen.

May 31, 2009 at 4:24 PM Post #5 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by pedxing /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sounds like you got a defective pair of ear phones. I would try to have them replaced. My UM3X fits on the tight side.

I suspect there is some degree of differences with the plastic housings. I remember reading some postings some people had the opposite problem - they had to expose their IEMs to the heat/cold before the ear tips loosen.

I don't think that's been the case with the UM3X unless I've missed something. What is true about the UM3X's is that every unit seems to have minute build differnces - sort of hand-made - unlike the more uniform & polished, assembly-line type of build of the W3.

Sounds like you've got a defective set - mine aren't mega tight, but tight enough to keep the tips in place and not loose AT ALL, but certainly less tight than the W3's I had before or SE530's before that.

May 31, 2009 at 4:39 PM Post #6 of 22
Not a defect. It's the way Westones are made. I can't seem to get shure olives to stay on securely either. There is no barb on the nozzle so tips do come off easier. Suggestion: Clean the nozzle with rubbing alcohol. Perhaps there is some leftover film/residue from the molding process. Also, when taking the IEM's out of your ears, do it very slowly trying to minimize whatever "drag" you can as the tips exit your ear canal. These two things should help.

May 31, 2009 at 6:51 PM Post #7 of 22
in order to keep comply tips on the westones you need to push them all the way as far back as you can onto the earpiece...when i first got my um2 some years ago i too had the same problem with the tips staying in my ear...i was putting it on without pushing it all the way on....

May 31, 2009 at 6:55 PM Post #8 of 22
Mine do the same thing only with Comply tips. Fortunately I could get them out with my fingers. I don't use the comply so it's not a problem. All my other tips..shure olives and yellow foam, silicon and modded sony hybrid as well as tri.flange stay on no problem. Never cared for the comply's so it didn't dissapoint to much.

Jun 1, 2009 at 12:48 AM Post #11 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by unlimited /img/forum/go_quote.gif
in my opinion Westone is the best brand the i can wear my Um2 without hurting or anything.. but i dont know about yours, might be something wrong..

Couldn't agree more..Westone is superior comfort. I guess in a sense there is something wrong with mine..ie the diameter too thin for comply..but I don't care a whole lot. Wouldn't want to mess with sending them back when I don't use comply.

Jun 1, 2009 at 3:57 AM Post #12 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spyro /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not a defect. It's the way Westones are made. I can't seem to get shure olives to stay on securely either. There is no barb on the nozzle so tips do come off easier. Suggestion: Clean the nozzle with rubbing alcohol. Perhaps there is some leftover film/residue from the molding process. Also, when taking the IEM's out of your ears, do it very slowly trying to minimize whatever "drag" you can as the tips exit your ear canal. These two things should help.

Hmm, weird. My olives stay on perfectly. And I must use a little force to remove them. Maybe yours have some problems...

Jun 1, 2009 at 11:52 AM Post #13 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by ilney /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hmm, weird. My olives stay on perfectly. And I must use a little force to remove them. Maybe yours have some problems...

It was a used pair so perhaps I had oil or sweat residue on the inner sleeve of the olive.

Jun 2, 2009 at 3:44 AM Post #14 of 22
Hmm, my olives do not stay on as well. When i first put olives on, it was so loose and thus I did not put it in my ears at all. My complys stay on fine tho, as i think the rubber tubing inside the comply is more grippy. But my olives have been sitting on the shelve for quite some time, so I wonder if the tubing has enlarged.

BTW if complys are fine but olives slip off, is it grounds for an exchange or warranty repair?

Jun 2, 2009 at 12:05 PM Post #15 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by xolp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hmm, my olives do not stay on as well. When i first put olives on, it was so loose and thus I did not put it in my ears at all. My complys stay on fine tho, as i think the rubber tubing inside the comply is more grippy. But my olives have been sitting on the shelve for quite some time, so I wonder if the tubing has enlarged.

BTW if complys are fine but olives slip off, is it grounds for an exchange or warranty repair?

I doubt it being they only ship with comply tips.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back