Problem with supermicro..
Dec 14, 2007 at 8:08 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

jdimitri

Headphoneus Supremus
Hey all..

Got my supermicro IV second hand pretty much unused a few weeks back

A few days back (while on a plane) i realized that the sound sometimes distorts and reduces volume until it turns off, but fixes itself when i poke it or move it around
It's the same sound the amp makes when i turn it off while the music is still playing

Anyone know of a quick fix? I thought it might be the battery contact but it seems alright.. I'd hate hate hate to send it in and wait half a year to get it back, considering i just sold my tomahawk and how much i'm currently enjoying the supermicro..

Dec 14, 2007 at 10:49 AM Post #2 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by jdimitri /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey all..

Got my supermicro IV second hand pretty much unused a few weeks back

A few days back (while on a plane) i realized that the sound sometimes distorts and reduces volume until it turns off, but fixes itself when i poke it or move it around
It's the same sound the amp makes when i turn it off while the music is still playing

Anyone know of a quick fix? I thought it might be the battery contact but it seems alright.. I'd hate hate hate to send it in and wait half a year to get it back, considering i just sold my tomahawk and how much i'm currently enjoying the supermicro..

mine does this, i think its the cap against the battery!

i cut some thinnish cardboard and put it between the battery and the blackgate, i also did the same behind each battery contact.

it still does it but a lotttt less now.

HTH

Dec 15, 2007 at 2:31 AM Post #3 of 5
I believe the problem is the battery is not consistently making contact w/ the bent copper pieces. If you can work w/ a delicate touch you may want to risk re-bending the contacts. Or you could slide a piece of foam to assist and to prevent it from de-forming again and loosing its contact w/ use.

Dec 15, 2007 at 5:10 AM Post #4 of 5
I added the foam to mine and the battery has made good contact ever since.

Dec 16, 2007 at 8:25 AM Post #5 of 5
Oh.. and i remembered reading that alkalines are no good for xin's amp because the current reduces as the battery runs out (paraphrasing here)

While this thread is here might as well ask.. what do you use? Does it make any difference?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back