Problem with Sunrise IE
Jun 24, 2011 at 7:54 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

-sandro-

100+ Head-Fier
Hello,
I have a huge problem.
I just received the new Sunrise IE from lendmeurears.com . What the hell is this? I looked everywhere, this was rated as the one of the best on its range.

They sound thin, shallow, the soundstage is near to zero, sound is NOT detailed. It sounds like really cheap earbuds.

I'm upgrading from the Brainwavz M1 that in comparison to this sound high end.

Is it possible I got a bad copy?

I'm depressed

Jun 24, 2011 at 8:14 AM Post #2 of 24
Ok maybe I have exaggerated a little! I'm listening to them. I don't understand why they sound so "centered", the sound stage is really bad.
I think the mids are way too bloated and the base is basically non-existent. They continue to be WORSE than the m1. Is something wrong with me?

Jun 24, 2011 at 9:41 AM Post #4 of 24
I think Sunrise products need some burn in.

I remember getting the Sunrise V2 which are worse than the IEs and I really really hated them when I listened to them right out of the box. 
I was pissed off when I thought my 30$ sennheiser IEMs sounded better than the veiled sw-xcape sound.

However, after burning them in, (not sure if it was psychologically or the actual drivers breaking in) I began to appreciate them. After a month of use, I actually really liked mine until they broke. =(

You shouldn't jump to judgement yet and give some time to adjust to the sound signature. 
Also make sure your fit is right and etc, 

Jun 24, 2011 at 9:42 AM Post #5 of 24
You either have a bad seal or a bad pair. I got mine a few days ago, and they are excellent.
For me, the bass is great - right where I want it to be, especially compared to xcape v1.

Jun 24, 2011 at 10:14 AM Post #6 of 24
hello guys,
the seal is good I also tried various tips.
I made various tests.
For instance now I'm listening to "light outside" by wakey wakey. On the Sunrise IE the sound is distant and way too centered , soundstage is very limited, the piano part at the beginning sounds like coming from cheap earbuds (imagine the awful buds they usually come with players) infact the mids are "dead", they have no body nor detail. The sound is ...BORING.
I don't know how much burning them could help but i'll try, they are right out the box.

In comparison the brainwavz M1 are a pleasure to listen to. The voices and overall sound are much clear and open. The sound surrounds you , they sound musical.

I still don't get it why these were rated so high, they're not even more detailed in SQ, they're equal.

Jun 24, 2011 at 10:29 AM Post #7 of 24
Definitelty something wrong. Mine sounded great right out of the box.

I have literally had dozens of pairs of IEMs - ECCI PR401, Westone 2 and UM3x, Turbines, FS Atrios, Meelec a151, Sennheiser IE7, etc...  and these strike a great balance of detail, wide spacious sound, warmth, and bass presence. They are great all-rounders.

Jun 24, 2011 at 11:17 AM Post #8 of 24
I think i found something I didn't notice before. Watching the Xcape v1/v2 speakers pics on the internet mine have a white paint spot on them! Can you check (who has the IE) if I'm right?

GENERAL:

(nozzle on the right)

MINE:

Jun 24, 2011 at 11:39 AM Post #9 of 24

Quote:
I think i found something I didn't notice before. Watching the Xcape v1/v2 speakers pics on the internet mine have a white paint spot on them! Can you check (who has the IE) if I'm right?

GENERAL:

(right one)

MINE:

Hi,

That's actually the correct one nothing wrong with it. :)

Jun 24, 2011 at 12:33 PM Post #11 of 24
It's the lighting/remodeling that could cause differences (Sunrise did change the headphones a tad bit).  I have a few reasons why you may not like these headphones (compared to the M1s):
  1. You got a really bad pair (unlikely, but possible)
  2. You have a really bad seal (unlikely since you say you have one, but still possible).  Try the Sensaphonics seal test to confirm your seal.
  3. These headphones don't have the right signature for you.  You are comparing a fun, warm pair of headphones to bright, analytical pair of headphones. 

Jun 24, 2011 at 12:44 PM Post #12 of 24
Hello,
I don't think it's about the signature. These just sound worse. They're not more bright or more bassy, just worse in overall SQ. It really sounds like something is covering something, some frequencies.
I mean I think I have pretty good ear...even if this had a different signature I would understand if the quality was better than lower-end models like the m1.
It's not pleasable to listen to, I don't know how to explain it ...I wish we could teleport stuff to get direct feedbacks eheh

Jun 24, 2011 at 12:51 PM Post #13 of 24

Quote:
Hello,
I don't think it's about the signature. These just sound worse. They're not more bright or more bassy, just worse in overall SQ. It really sounds like something is covering something, some frequencies.
I mean I think I have pretty good ear...even if this had a different signature I would understand if the quality was better than lower-end models like the m1.
It's not pleasable to listen to, I don't know how to explain it ...I wish we could teleport stuff to get direct feedbacks eheh

Email Sunrise Audio and see what they can do.  Do try the Sensaphonics seal test as it can differentiate a good seal from a great seal (which makes a world of difference in bass and treble).  If they are a bad copy, use the warranty and get another pair so you know what they truly sound like

Jun 24, 2011 at 4:57 PM Post #14 of 24

Quote:
 and these strike a great balance of detail, wide spacious sound, warmth, and bass presence. They are great all-rounders.

They are anything but that. Spacious sound? Opposite. Warmth, no. Bass is less than the M1.
I'm waiting for Sunrise Audio answer, I really "hope" I got a bad copy

Jun 24, 2011 at 6:55 PM Post #15 of 24

Quote:
They are anything but that. Spacious sound? Opposite. Warmth, no. Bass is less than the M1.
I'm waiting for Sunrise Audio answer, I really "hope" I got a bad copy

It's not fair to compare the quantity of the bass between the Sunrises and the Brainwavz as they are two totally different signatures.  Have you tried the sensaphonics seal test?  Can you achieve a good seal, sometimes (for some odd reason) you just can't get a seal with a certain headphone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back