problem with static noise...
Dec 7, 2008 at 11:51 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Anouk

Headphoneus Supremus
Hello, I have a headroom ultra desktop with the dsp power supply and the stepped attenuator. I use it with kimber usb cable and the dimarzio rca cables to connect to my poweramp which is non-headroom. I use siltech speaker cables.
It works fine with my big home pc, but now I use it with my laptop because my pc is out of the running. My laptop is a toshiba tecra a9 and it runs windows xp (it used to run vista but I am happily rid of that now). It works fine if I use it with headphones only but as soon as I turn on my speakers i get a LOT of interference. It works ok if I remove the usb connector from the laptop and connect it to my tv receiver through optical but as soon as I plug in the usb connector I get the noise, even though i do not actively use the usb itself. If I turn off the poweramp everything works fine again...
I am using the seem cables as with my computer so I suppose the problem is with my laptop but I find it strange because it works fine if I use my headphone only....
Greetings, Anouk,

Dec 7, 2008 at 1:19 PM Post #2 of 6
Hello everyone, I fixed my own problem in the end after all. My laptop is connected to a power adaptor with surge protector, which can supply multiple appliances off power, this adapter itself is connected to a power outlet in the wall, if I explain this right. I now connected the laptop directly to the wall power outlet and the noise is GONe. I now worry though if the power my headphone amp and power amp receive is clean because they are still connected through that surge protected adaptor....
Greetings, Anouk

Jan 9, 2009 at 2:54 AM Post #5 of 6
I have a similar problem. When I connect my laptop to my preamplifier and then to my speakers, I get a buzzing hissing sound. If I disconnect my laptop from the surge protector and run it on the laptop battery, It will play fine. I think the problem has something to do with the wall out let or grounding. Scottsmrnyc

Users who are viewing this thread

Back