Problem with ATH M50 LE and Sansa Clip+ (bass imbalance)
Jan 27, 2013 at 3:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Ferr

Head-Fier
Hello all!

I recently got a pair of ATH M50 Limited Edition and Im loving them. Im enjoying their sound signature, their looks and even their comfort.
But theres something that its really bugging me. I think the pads are slightly imbalanced. Is not that one is louder than the other, is just that the rumble of the bass is more pronounced on one side, so Im feeling the rumble more of on the left side of my brain.
When hocked on my Xonad DGX theressome difference but is really small so I can bear with it, but on my Sansa Clip+ the difference is bigger, so, even if it sound good, is kind of annoying after a long time of listening.
At first I though it could be a problem of the Sansa Clip not giving enought prower, but the sound is more than loud enough. Also I tried a lot of music genres, and even in trance and various EDM music the difference in balance is there. And of course if I switch my cans around my hear I always feel more bas where the left pad is in.

I wonder if its something normal on this cans (being the left pad the one powered by the cable) or is a problem I could solve with a cheap amp (I dont think I can afford an expensive amp, so if I have to buy one I would probably return the M50, even if I dont want to).

Jan 27, 2013 at 8:51 PM Post #2 of 3
There is either a channel imbalance between the drivers themselves which is not that uncommon, your hearing is biased to one side, or you may have some EQ settings on someone.  Flip the headphones around such that the right is on the left and give a listen.  If the problem goes away or becomes more balanced it could be your hearing.  Double check that you have no EQ settings turned on.  The last thing I would check is if the earpads are different shapes or sizes.  Perhaps one is sealing better than the other?

Typically Audio Technica channel matches their headphones really well so I would be a little surprised if that is the issue, but it is common enough that perhaps you got a pair with a larger imbalance.

An amp is not going to cure a channel imbalance unless it can control the left right side volume independently.

Is it only the bass that is imbalanced?

Jan 28, 2013 at 2:39 AM Post #3 of 3
Yeah, if I flip my headphones the bass is more pronounced in my right side. I dont think is something about EQ, in fact I tried to change the balance in my Sansa for fixing it but then the voices startet to be more provinent on the right.

The pads are the same, and about the seal... I think they seal ok, but I cant say it for sure :/

Quote:
Is it only the bass that is imbalanced?

Well, is the only thing I feel is more pronounced, dunno if everything else is imbalanced but I would say is just the bass. Voice seems centered.
In my computer it seems less noticeable, but dunno if its me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back