Problem playing Enya's Only time?
Dec 9, 2001 at 1:37 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

AuralBliss

New Head-Fier
It seems every time I play Enya 'Only time tell' on my headphone, the first part of the song (with its bassy notes) cause the diaphragm to "rattle" distort, just a bit, this especially at louder listening levels. This is the only song that causes this, even Bach's organs music with its low bass don't present a problem same with any kick drums. Anyone have this problem also?

Dec 9, 2001 at 2:04 AM Post #3 of 12
Really, I was hoping it was the recording, maybe effects (the rattle is a very soft muffled rattle) . The song is a MP3 at 320. I don't believe its the song though because the rattle is not even, alittle less in the left than the right, this seems to points to my headphone as the likely cause.

Dec 9, 2001 at 2:14 AM Post #5 of 12
Just tried again...playing the song even louder this time (I'm talkin' ear-splitting amplitude, but, of course, just for a short duration through the very beginning of the song). Still nothing.

What kind of headphones are you using?

I still suspect it could be your MP3.

Dec 9, 2001 at 2:16 AM Post #6 of 12
Are you using Grados? In any case, it can either be the Grados. The Grados in interaction with a headphone amp that isn't up to task. Or starting from the source with the Mp3.

Any of these could be a trouble point, since Grattle isn't exactly unheard of, but neither is unproper amplification for even Grados. Or issues with computer sources.

Dec 9, 2001 at 2:32 AM Post #7 of 12
Thanks guys

The headphone is a older Grado sr-200 and a SB LIVE DRIVE. I am almost certain now its not the mp3 because this rattle, distorting sound is varying even within the last half hour but still alittle noticeable. It could be what, Tim D, suggested a amp problem, the headphone was bought in 1993 so its not new either.

Dec 9, 2001 at 5:26 AM Post #10 of 12
Ok, everything is alright now, I think. Maybe I should have said this earlier but I have been turning up the bass to "test" how LOW a bass it could go or take when I ran into this rattle problem, that was most glaring on the Enya Only Time song which was strange. Now with the setting back to normal it seems sound fine again. Nevertheless, I don't think that should have happened.

Dec 9, 2001 at 5:31 AM Post #11 of 12
Once again, turing the volume to the point that your headphones make the dishes in your kitchen rattle is *NOT* good as it will effect your ability to use your hearing-aid in the future.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Dec 9, 2001 at 6:24 AM Post #12 of 12
Heavily or even moderately equalizing sound can make it VERY distorted.

Load up Winamp on your PC, put some cheap headphones in so as not to damage them, lower all of the parts on the EQ to -20db except the 60Hz one, put at it +20dB, and turn the volume up to a normal listening level. DO NOT DO THIS WITH GOOD HEADPHONES OR YOUR SPEAKERS PLUGGED IN. It will distort like hell, not because the headphones/speakers can't handle it, but because the equalization itself was causing the distortion. I say to not have your good stuff pluggen in because you can damage it easily.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back