problem } my external hard drive is jammed. any help?
Mar 10, 2008 at 5:20 PM Post #18 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by azncookiecutter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Apparently it gets the head properly aligned. The clicking sounds is usually the head of the HDD going back and forth. Been working in an IT department for co-op for a few months now, and the freezer is known as our personal data recovery centre for dead hard drives. Around 75% of dead hard drives, after the freezer, we've been able to recover most of the data off hard drives.

very nice information. you do learn something new everyday. had this kind of incident before, and i just gave up. would've been nice to know about this trick before chucking the hdd, and mopping for the loss of data.

thanks for the info!

Mar 10, 2008 at 6:49 PM Post #20 of 22
I've done the freezing thing (put it in a static or ziplock bag first) for a dead drive and I've done spinrite and many more. Spinrite doesn't work very well with external drives for me and is very slow (put it in internally maybe), its never really helped. I have used Hiren's boot cd (shhh) in the past and it is amazing for the tools, but I would be concerned about its legality nowadays. When mine spins like that, even a slap on the top fixed it a bit. It probably is the enclosure.

The control board on the harddrive is what the freezing affects. You have to freeze it for at least three hours as you usually only get one or two chances to get the data off after that for about 30 minutes if it helps. It should only be a last resort. Enclosure or hard drive, either, you probably should try adding it as a secondary drive in a desktop. Run some diagnostics on it with some tools, I use a boot cd so that the OS does not mess with the drive contents. A good disk checker should be able to fix bad sectors so that it works good as new again usually. I hae never lost a harddrive unless it is completely bricked so that the platters don't spin. You have to stop problems before they become worse though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back