Pro-Ject Turntable - Extremely Low Output Sound/Level - Troubleshooting Advice/Tips
Aug 18, 2018 at 7:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Ksweene5

100+ Head-Fier
Hi HF -

I recently got a Pro-Ject Debut Carbon Espirit SB - it has an Ortofon Red installed. I just got around to hooking it up today and I am not hardly getting ANY sound out of it - I get a low listening level even when I turn my amps nearly all the way up. My other turntables are unbearably loud in that second situation, which is why I am so thrown.

I have checked all hookup options I have at my disposal - directly into my vintage Pioneers phono input, into an aux input while using an outboard phono pre, multiple input channels for each of those too. I also hooked it up to my current Yamaha receiver using an outboard pre - still the same.

To double check my equipment I mirrored all of those hookup options but using my vintage Technics - the Technics had no issues - played at a normal volume on all hookup options.

I would really appreciate some insight / advice / troubleshooting - I am really at a loss. TIA

Aug 18, 2018 at 7:43 PM Post #2 of 6
Also - this is far from my first turntable. I have been listening to vinyl regularly for nearly 2 decades (only 30). I have been collecting and using hi-and-mid fi home audio, vintage and new, intensively for the last 7-8 years. I used to work in a recording studio and am well versed in checking/double/triple-checking cables and connections before moving on to more serious troubleshooting.

Aug 19, 2018 at 1:18 PM Post #3 of 6
Sounds like a miss-wire, either at the rear of the cartridge or at the sockets in the bowels of the deck.

Aug 19, 2018 at 2:08 PM Post #4 of 6
I did also try a remount of the cart - no positive results. Looks like this will be going back to the store with this one - hugely disappointed with the quality of this deck. I will be avoiding pro-jects from now on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back