Pro-Ject + Schiit + Sennheiser
Aug 21, 2014 at 9:06 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

pmihalik

New Head-Fier
Hi,
I would need your advice, I'm sure it is something trivial but I'm novice so I rely on your expert knowledge.
turntable: Pro-Ject Debut Carbon
amp: Schiit Asgard 2
Headphones: Sennheiser HD700

The volume, even at max level on Asgard2 with Hi Gain, is just moderate.
Does it mean I need dedicated pre-amp? I don't use speakers, just cans.
Any advice would be really appreciated!

Aug 21, 2014 at 10:54 AM Post #2 of 16
You need a phono preamp in between the turntable and the Asgard to boost the signal to line-level and perform the RIAA equalization curve correction. Make sure it handles your cartridge type as well (MC vs MM). Pro-ject makes some relatively inexpensive phono preamps.

Aug 22, 2014 at 1:30 AM Post #4 of 16
Your cartridge is moving magnet. Most preamps should handle it. Do some research and choose a preamp known to have good synergy with your components. The pro-ject pre will do however you may find better bang for your buck elsewhere.

Aug 22, 2014 at 2:36 AM Post #6 of 16
Just to clarify - what he needs is an RIAA MM phono stage (offering gain of 35dB-45dB), and many stereo "preamps" are mere line stages that do not have this built-in. Some line stages (like my Rogue Hera) even have an input labeled "phono" that are not phono stages -- that's kind of evil (but this line stage's sound is worth it). He needs either a stereo preamp with an MM stage built-in, or a discrete MM phono stage box. MC stages provide extra gain beyond the MM stage (about an extra 16-30dB), and most (but not all) MC stages have a switch to lower the gain to MM levels; you DON'T want to run an MM cart into MC gain levels due to overload.

Phono stages have an even bigger sonic impact than line stages, since the electrical gains are extreme. It's more akin to the differences between headphone amps. The Pro-Ject phono box (I haven't heard the tube box) is OK sounding and will be a good match for your current rig. It will beat the cheaper built-in stages in entry level hi-fi preamps (e.g. the stage they put in the Rogue Cronus and Metis, though that's not a high bar). However, once you start upgrading that table & cart (this is summit-fi, after all), there's a world of difference to be had from better stages. $500-1200 spent on the used market can go far. At around $500 used, the PS Audio GCPH is very good (and has balanced outputs!), though you may need to twist the bloody toroid to get the hum down. 

Aug 22, 2014 at 5:11 AM Post #7 of 16
So it seems Pro-Ject phono box would be the best choice for now, until I start upgrading. There are number of phono-boxes available from Pro-Ject but provided I don't need USB or speed box, I am not sure if there is any significant difference among them in terms of sound quality so maybe going for Phono Box MM (cheapest one) is sufficent?

Aug 22, 2014 at 5:24 AM Post #8 of 16
I just found rather good reviews on Cambridge Audio Azur 551p MM phono pre-amp. Looks as a better choice than Pro-Ject phono box, whilst still not expensive. Do you guys have any experience with it?

Aug 23, 2014 at 11:17 PM Post #9 of 16
I just found rather good reviews on Cambridge Audio Azur 551p MM phono pre-amp. Looks as a better choice than Pro-Ject phono box, whilst still not expensive. Do you guys have any experience with it?

Yea. I have

Project Debut Carbon => Cambridge Azur 551p => Peachtree Grand X1 => Schiit Mjolnir => LCD3/HD800
Project Debut Carbon => Cambridge Azur 551p => Peachtree Grand X1 => Parasound Halo A21 => Magnepan Mini + Magnepan DWM + SVS SBUltra13

Sounds fine to me, comprable to spotify to my ears.

Sep 1, 2014 at 2:58 AM Post #10 of 16
Hi! 
Can’t make comments about all Pro-Ject phono stages, but top of Pro-Ject line phono box RS is excellent. I auditioned it couple of times with Ortofon 2M Red and Black. It sounds really good, no background noise, very good dynamics, clarity and detail.

Sep 1, 2014 at 3:41 AM Post #11 of 16
Thanks for a tip, alexberg! In the meantime I bought Musical Fidelity V90-LPS and am quite happy with it albeit in all fairness there is nothing else I can properly compare it with. In any case it seems I will soon embark on upgrades as I will get more familiar with the equipment, so your advice is valuable.

Sep 1, 2014 at 8:01 AM Post #12 of 16

I’m glad you are happy with Musical Fidelity. It’s a good starting point. When time will come to make an upgrade, I would strongly advise you to consider phonostage from Whest Audio (UK), even the entry model. All Whest gear is very special. Cheers!

Sep 1, 2014 at 8:39 AM Post #13 of 16
Thanks for a good tip! I thought I did my homework when searching for a phono stage but apparently not - I haven't come across Whest gear neither have ever heard of it. I will have a closer look at their products tonight. It seems they do phone stages for MC cartridges, though. So I would need to upgrade TT to Ovation as well:wink:

Sep 1, 2014 at 11:25 AM Post #14 of 16
Hi! I rarely write on forums, but glad if it could be any of help. I came across Whest few years back when did my search for a phonostage and glad I did. You can find enough comments on audiogon and other audiophile forums about their products.
All Whest phonos are for both MM and MC cartridges. You can make change of load and gain, depending on the type of cartridge you are using. For example, I used mine with both low output MC Ortofon and MM Ortofon 2M Black with spectacular results. Unfortunately I had to sell mine earlier this year due to family reasons, but if I’ll be on a market for a dedicated phono stage, Whest products will be the first in my list. Best regards, Alex

Users who are viewing this thread

Back