Pro-ject RM10 Turntable as source
Dec 25, 2007 at 4:57 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

dcstep

100+ Head-Fier
It's good to see a few vinyl-heads populating Head-Fi, going toe to toe with the digit-heads. I searched and found most of the vinyl threads centered around entry level turntables below $500. That is certainly the way to wet your feet, but I thought I'd discuss the Pro-ject a little for those considering moving more deeply into vinyl.

First, a quick background on me. I've been an "audiophile" since around 1967 when I purchased my first Garrard/Scott intergrated/Jensen rig, with Koss cans and a Sony reel-to-reel. In the 1980s I had some Stax cans. I've been collecting vinyl since around 1960 and also have a large collection of CDs/SACDs and the beginnings of high-rez archival copies of my better D2D (direct-to-disk) recordings from the 1970s and 1980s.

My primary hobbies involve music, playing trumpet in several bands and orchestras and rhythm guitar in a big band where I'm also sub on lead trumpet. I played several years in a semi-pro funk/rock/soul band in Dallas. Soo, I hear and participate in live music on an almost daily basis.

My preferred audio rig is through speakers. I drive Vienna Acoustic Beethoven Baby Grand speakers with a Conrad Johnson CA200. When I can't listen to the speakers, like right now, I listen through AKG K701s driven by a Woo WA6. My digital sources are a Oppo 980 and a Korg MR1000 DSD recorder.

Back to the Pro-ject, I'm using it with a Sumiko Blackbird driving a Pro-ject Tube Head phono-preamp.

I'm not going to write a full review, but I will say that this Pro-ject is a couple of orders of excellence ahead of the sub-$1000 TTs that I've heard. What you gain is greater silence and dynamic range with extra levels of detail and nuance. It's actually very dramatic. The RM10 has a very stiff yet light, 10" carbon fiber tone arm that will handle a very fragile stylus. The higher end cartridges have stylus profiles that somehow reduce the surface noise. The diamond is so darn small that it's hard to see with the naked eye.

The top end Pro-ject has a massive platter and beautifully machined bearing. This is supplemented with repulse magnatism that offsets the high mass of the platter. If you spin the platter without the belt at around 45 rpm, it'll take a minuter or so to stop spinning, owing to the high mass and incredibly low resistance at the bearing.

The RM10 comes stock with Pro-ject's isolation platform which is VERY effective. Of course, with cans it's not as critical, but when you get the speakers flapping your pants leg it becomes critical.

The RM10 is very easy to set up after the cartridge is mounted. Basically you level the isolation platform, then put on the turntable and level it on the isolation platform. There's a spacer for setting the motor the proper distance from the platter.

There are several other fine turntables in the Pro-ject's price range, but the RM10 is a leading contender for top honors at this price point. With the Blackbird mounted and the included isolation platform it was $2880. Not cheap, but an excellent value. Rega and VPI are strong competitors in this price range, along with a couple of others.

I'm going to have my Oppo modded by Ric Schultz in hopes of getting rid of its digititus, otherwise, I'll be looking for a universal player to replace it. Fatigue sets in after about an hour with the cans and the Oppo. With the Project, it NEVER happens. I stop to do things like go to bed and go to work, not because I'm tired. It's just incredibly revealing and involving.

If you're liking your vinyl on you entry level rig, consider foregoing a few sets of cans to upgrade your front end. Yeah, I'm tempted to try the new Sennheisers when they come out, but I'm really into picking one good component for each function.

Dave

Dec 25, 2007 at 4:47 PM Post #2 of 7
Thanks for the great comments! I am also a vinyl lover and completely agree that the RM-10 is a terrific TT and a very good value.

Dec 25, 2007 at 8:02 PM Post #3 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by 4N6 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the great comments! I am also a vinyl lover and completely agree that the RM-10 is a terrific TT and a very good value.

Hey 4N6, I see a very impressive list of cans in your public profile. Which is your favorite?

Because of my trumpeting and working with vocalists, I'm very partial to an accurate midrange. Any dark coloration or thickness in the midrange will usually disqualify headphones for me. So far, I'm finding the K701s a good match. I find most Senns too dark and thick sounded, but I've never tried a modded or recabled pair.

VPI makes great TTs. If I hadn't had a Pro-ject dealer right down the street I would have leaned toward a VPI Scoutmaster.

Dave

Dec 26, 2007 at 12:18 AM Post #4 of 7
The Pro-Ject RM-10 is a nice table. The rest of their line is pretty good, as well.

I completely agree; there are plenty of rewards when you step up from the entry turntables. I started out with a Planar 3 just about one year ago and it completely hooked me on vinyl. In August, I gave the Rega to a friend and bought a Michell Gyrodec. The sound quality improved considerably. So much so that I picked up the QC power supply and the Orbe platter and spider upgrades, which will turn the deck into an Orbe. Also bought the Petersen armboard isolation kit.

Unfortunately, I have not had time to take the deck apart and upgrade it. I will after the first of the year, and am very much looking forward to hearing what the top-of-the-line Michell sounds like.

Still, I would encourage anyone who enjoys vinyl to step up from a budget deck. There is a big payoff for investment in vinyl.

Dec 26, 2007 at 12:37 AM Post #5 of 7
The RM-10 is indeed a very nice table. A friend has the RM-5 and it sounds very nice. These are indeed fit and forget tables - and the RM 5, 6 and 10 tables I think are the sweet spot in their pricing rather than the debut table IMHO.

The friend uses his with a ortofon MC25fl and I think a project phonostage (but not the valve one). I haven't heard great things about the project phonostages - how does yours sound?

Fran

Dec 26, 2007 at 1:01 AM Post #6 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by dcstep /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey 4N6, I see a very impressive list of cans in your public profile. Which is your favorite?

I am a bassoonist and have a lot of orchestral/chamber music/symphonic band experience so accurate midranges are also imporant to me. So far, it is a tie between the balanced Ultrasones and Sennheiser's as my favorite headphones. The Moon Audio Silver Dragon is a terrific match for these two headphones as the cables add a little life to the treble and upper midrange, taking away a bit of the overly warm quality. I am also a huge fan of the JVC DX1000's, which are probably the best all-around headphone that I own. The balanced Sony MDR-5000 are also a very good headphone, but lack a little body to instuments and vocals. I am still awaiting the amp so as to use my Stax O2's.

My dealer is using a Project RM10 with the Dynavector 17D3 MC cartridge feeding a SimAudio Moon LP5.3 Phono stage. I very much enjoyed this setup via some Gallo Reference 3 speakers. An excellent TT that seems to be one in which you could build a VERY nice high-end system around.

Dec 28, 2007 at 4:28 AM Post #7 of 7
Thanks 4N6. I'll probably wait on the new Senns and give them a listen after CES. I haven't heard re-cabled 650s, but I find the midrange with the stock cables a little dense. I'm using stock AKG K701s right now and really like their overall presentation. I'll try to get to a show in the next several months to hear some of the alternatives, particularly the Senns and Ultrasones.

Dave

Users who are viewing this thread

Back