Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 Digital Impression Thread
Sep 12, 2019 at 11:55 AM Post #602 of 777
MQA keeps dropping out. Read around to find this is a long time unsolved problem. Shame to you, Pro-ject. My 1st and the last Pro-ject's product.

The S2D is known to be more sensitive to imperfections in MQA streams. Other DACs are more robust, but may have achieved that only at the expense of other specifications. When this happens on the S2D, one solution is to enable software decoding on your PC. The S2D will sense that it's supposed to be a renderer then, and will display "MQB" instead of "MQA". I really can't hear a difference between MQA and MQB, and look forward to reading your report if you try this.

Sep 12, 2019 at 12:27 PM Post #603 of 777
MQA keeps dropping out. Read around to find this is a long time unsolved problem. Shame to you, Pro-ject. My 1st and the last Pro-ject's product.

I am reluctant to say this because I do not know if this actually fixed my MQA dropouts but I upgraded my USB cable to an AudioQuest Forest A to B cable. It is not an expensive one but well made. I also have 1 gigabit fiber to my house, which does not hurt. Someday there might be a firmware update, but...

Sep 12, 2019 at 1:00 PM Post #604 of 777
I am reluctant to say this because I do not know if this actually fixed my MQA dropouts but I upgraded my USB cable to an AudioQuest Forest A to B cable. It is not an expensive one but well made. I also have 1 gigabit fiber to my house, which does not hurt. Someday there might be a firmware update, but...

The problems are usually on Tidal's end not yours. The 2.12 update improved this somewhat, but in general it seems the design intent of the S2D simply leaves it more sensitive to these problems.

Sep 15, 2019 at 10:50 AM Post #605 of 777
mqb.PNG

Using MQB does help with stutters, and I cannot distinguit it (sonically) from MQA.
Ie. letting Tidal do the first unfold, while S2 does second.
Rock solid, no stutter. Jitterbug and/or better USB cable does not help at all.

Last edited:
Sep 15, 2019 at 11:05 AM Post #606 of 777
Using MQB does help with stutters, and I cannot distinguit it (sonically) from MQA.
Ie. letting Tidal do the first unfold, while S2 does second.
Rock solid, no stutter. Jitterbug and/or better USB cable does not help at all.

Thanks for your report!

Oct 4, 2019 at 2:15 PM Post #607 of 777
I own both Accu Box S2 USB power supply and Pre Box S2 Digital. I was expecting for the 5V input via Micro USB coming from the Accu Box S2 USB to disable the power taken from the USB TypeB port connected to my computer (the music source is Tidal), but this doesn't happen due to HW implementation.

Does any of you knows how to make the Pre Box S2 Digital to be powered on exclusively from the POWER button instead of having it permanently ON and powered through the USB TypeB connector coming via my computer? Is there any way to have a data-only USB TypeB cable? Note that such fixes don't work, I tried them on Mac and the Pre Box S2 Digital is not detected any longer.

IMG_1408.jpg

The POWER button of the Accu Box S2 USB is useless, as it doesn't turn off my Pre Box S2 Digital while I have the USB TypeB port connected to my computer, as my computer is always on.

IMG_1407.jpg

And by the way, avoid under any circumstance keeping on all the time your Pre Box S2 Digital, as you will destroy the OLED display and you will have to replace/fix the product under warranty, like it has happened to my Pre Box S2 Digital. The OLED display died in less than one year due to this, experiencing discolouration, yellow spots and change of colours in the spots where it was always on.

IMG_0463.jpeg
IMG_0464.jpeg
IMG_0465.jpeg
IMG_0471.jpeg

Last edited:
Oct 5, 2019 at 3:21 PM Post #608 of 777
@mandrei83 the only solution I can think of is to unplug the USB cable from the PC when you're not using the S2D, because it switches to the PC for power when the Accu Box is switched off, and a data-only cable does not work because the S2D will not be detected by the computer.

It seems the S2D was originally only planned to use external power when connected via coax or optical. The auto-switching from USB power to the external PSU is nice (and switching back not so nice), but feels like a last-minute change that isn't even mentioned in the manual.

Oct 5, 2019 at 11:14 PM Post #609 of 777
The S2D is known to be more sensitive to imperfections in MQA streams. Other DACs are more robust, but may have achieved that only at the expense of other specifications. When this happens on the S2D, one solution is to enable software decoding on your PC. The S2D will sense that it's supposed to be a renderer then, and will display "MQB" instead of "MQA". I really can't hear a difference between MQA and MQB, and look forward to reading your report if you try this.
In fact when I play Tidal MQA through Roon, stutters rarely happen. I have also checked the "MQB" way and it is also fine. However, I don't like Roon as it does not offer folder view.

As a side note, playing offline MQA files is ok, no stutters at all. So may be S2D has something wrong with Tidal when it comes to MQA. The fact that the designer has left seems to implicate there will never be a solution.

Last edited:
Oct 6, 2019 at 4:28 PM Post #610 of 777
In fact when I play Tidal MQA through Roon, stutters rarely happen. I have also checked the "MQB" way and it is also fine. However, I don't like Roon as it does not offer folder view.

As a side note, playing offline MQA files is ok, no stutters at all. So may be S2D has something wrong with Tidal when it comes to MQA. The fact that the designer has left seems to implicate there will never be a solution.

Yes it's the Tidal app; don't know why. The S2D is also unable to handle less-than-perfect MQA via the Qobuz app. (Qobuz had no intention to stream MQA, but 2L and Odin are apparently now issuing new albums as MQA CDs only.) The S2D has no problem playing the same albums via the LMS Qobuz plugin, so it's something about the offical apps and the S2D.

I don't know for sure if John has parted with Pro-Ject or if he's been handed new work like the Acc Box and must stay quiet online as a condition of his contract. He did once state they were parting company, but when I chatted with a Pro-Ject distributor many months later he seemed to think John was still associated with them somehow.

I don't care enough to pursue the truth of this, but I would like to see John's promised final update and optional upgrade, as those would improve the resale value of my S2D.

Oct 6, 2019 at 5:22 PM Post #612 of 777
Oct 13, 2019 at 9:19 AM Post #614 of 777
How is the sound quality? I would like to know your recommendations, I do not use MQA, so this may be for me ...

Crisp and resolving. A good use of ESS design guidelines. (Personally I prefer AKM-based designs for a warmer sound.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back