Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 Digital Impression Thread
Feb 17, 2018 at 11:15 AM Post #287 of 777
Ah okay - well I'll leave this ask up here then in case someone can measure this and post their findings. Until then, I'll be waiting for these on the used market

You're in luck, he just posted a few graphs here [link]. It's also worth reading through all three of these threads for more findings, but I understand some prefer visuals.

Feb 17, 2018 at 4:54 PM Post #290 of 777
I think I’ve had it with this device. Can’t get MQA on Tidal. Can’t hear difference on filters, can’t download firmware which has now been withdrawn. Other than that it sounds pretty good but...
eBay here it comes. Anybody had any experience with the Mytek Liberty?

Feb 17, 2018 at 5:43 PM Post #291 of 777
I think I’ve had it with this device. Can’t get MQA on Tidal. Can’t hear difference on filters, can’t download firmware which has now been withdrawn. Other than that it sounds pretty good but...
eBay here it comes. Anybody had any experience with the Mytek Liberty?

I'm only using it only for testing at this point. I have MQA and everything working, but don't like the sound signature and a few other aspects of the product, plus I'm frustrated with Pro-Ject support and how they've handled this last bug.

If you want the firmware just PM me. I'm still helping other owners for some reason.

I don't think the Mytek Liberty is shipping yet.

Feb 17, 2018 at 10:44 PM Post #293 of 777
I got the firmware from you before. I even got a Windows PC to download it. Computer doesn’t see Prebox.

Oh right, sorry, I sent you the 2.11 beta when you asked, and then the final 2.12 update later. Didn't hear back from you.

The whole process is very Windowsy. Installing the update requires first installing the driver. Then you launch control panel from the system tray, and use that to do the update. Yes?

Feb 18, 2018 at 2:35 PM Post #294 of 777
I got the firmware from you before. I even got a Windows PC to download it. Computer doesn’t see Prebox.

In my case, Windows was not seeing Prebox using only the USB cable. It seems my computer was not providing enough power to it. When I plugged in the included power suppy + computer USB cable, problem was solved.

Feb 18, 2018 at 2:39 PM Post #295 of 777
In my case, Windows was not seeing Prebox using only the USB cable. It seems my computer was not providing enough power to it. When I plugged in the included power suppy + computer USB cable, problem was solved.
My pc has same issue, the USB is limited to 500mA, the USB port shutdown when I connect my S2 on it.
I use an USB cable with on/off button for power from PSU and switch it on before I connect to PC.

Feb 18, 2018 at 2:51 PM Post #296 of 777
Measurements done by Amir at ASR - Link
Looks really good! Only the "Test" vs. the "Best" is a little confusing.

Feb 18, 2018 at 5:41 PM Post #297 of 777
@SchwarzeWolke thanks!

@TypodCrowd here are your visuals: https://audiosciencereview.com/foru...urements-of-pro-ject-pre-box-s2-digital.2370/

To help clarify "Test" vs. "Best", from a previous post:
The Audio Quality menu has two options, "Best" and "Test". "Best" is the way John Westlake, the designer of this DAC, likes the sound: Distortion Compensation is disabled and the filter is Optimal Transient. In "Test", the settings are changed to match the best results from John's test lab instruments: Distortion Compensation is enabled and the filter is Brickwall.

Also:
• Filters are disabled in MQA mode. Distortion Compensation will still work though.
• The current post-MQA filter bug only happens when the filter is set to Optimal Transient.
• The developer of HQ Player prefers Distortion Compensation enabled and the filter set to Fast Rolloff, based on his test results and listening.

Edit: I just finished scrolling through. I am confused by Amir's results. I don't doubt his sincerity but he hasn't tested all configurations, his results with Distortion Compensation and S/PDIF vs. USB jitter are the opposite of Jussi's, and his results with external USB power contradict the designer's own tests as well as what many of us have reported hearing.

Having said that, in general it's a positive review.

Last edited:
Feb 19, 2018 at 11:34 AM Post #298 of 777
@DexS there is now a Mac firmware update utility on the Pro-Ject website. Scroll down: http://www.box-designs.com/main.php?prod=preboxs2digital&cat=default&lang=en I've also added the Mac updater to my download folder.

I don't know if they included instructions for the Mac updater — maybe they're in the .dmg file — but the separate instructions PDF on that page is corrupted. Sigh. I'm trying to let them know. And at least one user is reporting his Mac can't see the S2 to load the update, by the way. Please let us know if you try this. I'm all WinDoze and Ubuntu here.

They've re-posted the 2.12 update again too. Finally. It should not have been removed completely just because of that one MQA/OptimalTransient bug.

Last edited:
Feb 20, 2018 at 12:09 PM Post #299 of 777
Dear Left Channel. You are my savior. Downloaded new Mac firmware, connected to iFi power supply. Went right in, took less than five minutes (I spent hours before in unsuccessful attempts). Getting MQA!!! I know there is a debate about MQA but I don’t get it. MQA opens up my soundstage width and depth. Sound is uneqivically better. It’s not even close. So for now S2 is off the market while I reaudition it.

Lefty I see you are on the Mytek Brooklyn thread, I wanted this DAC but it was too expensive, the Liberty is doable. Why don’t you start a thread on it. I was on the verge of buying it today but with the resurrection of the S2 I think I’ll wait to see if it has teething problems too. Would like to hear your comparison of the sound of the two dacs

Thanks a hundred million for your and everyone elses help.
Dex

Feb 20, 2018 at 12:35 PM Post #300 of 777
Dear Left Channel. You are my savior. Downloaded new Mac firmware, connected to iFi power supply. Went right in, took less than five minutes (I spent hours before in unsuccessful attempts). Getting MQA!!! I know there is a debate about MQA but I don’t get it. MQA opens up my soundstage width and depth. Sound is uneqivically better. It’s not even close. So for now S2 is off the market while I reaudition it.

Lefty I see you are on the Mytek Brooklyn thread, I wanted this DAC but it was too expensive, the Liberty is doable. Why don’t you start a thread on it. I was on the verge of buying it today but with the resurrection of the S2 I think I’ll wait to see if it has teething problems too. Would like to hear your comparison of the sound of the two dacs

Thanks a hundred million for your and everyone elses help.
Dex

Great news! Thanks for letting us know, as others are having trouble getting the Mac updater to see their units.

We should also thank the fellow who posted this news over on the pinkfishmedia forum. He got it from the announcement sent to a dealer mailing list. Pro-Ject hasn't made any effort to let users know. Sigh.

I have looked at the Liberty but prefer separate DAC and head amps, and I prefer the sound of DACs built around AKM chips. But I'm sure the Liberty will be a game-changer, and far higher quality and better support than certain other products.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back