Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 Digital Impression Thread
Feb 9, 2018 at 1:51 AM Post #271 of 777
Thank You! I’ve also seen in Italy mini PC with Apollo Lake Celeron Processor and I think that is a big improvement compared to Atom solution. Another important issue for me is the possibility to operate with the PC without to connect it to the lcd through HDMI but to control it with an I-pad with wi-fi..Do You think this is possible or it’s only a dream ?!? :)

Windows needs too much attention to operate "headless". You'd be better off installing an audio-optimized Linux system meant for this purpose, like VortexBox. Better still, look at these turnkey systems (three pages): https://www.vortexbox.co.uk/... Quick, order from the UK while they're still in the EU! :)

Feb 9, 2018 at 9:12 PM Post #272 of 777
Thank You! I’ve also seen in Italy mini PC with Apollo Lake Celeron Processor and I think that is a big improvement compared to Atom solution. Another important issue for me is the possibility to operate with the PC without to connect it to the lcd through HDMI but to control it with an I-pad with wi-fi..Do You think this is possible or it’s only a dream ?!? :)

My idea is to have the mini PC running Windows 10 or Windows Server 2016 or Linux. I will test them all. In case of Windows, I want to have a remote control solution. HDMI only for the initial setup. One of the available tools that I will test is VNC, which is compatible with iPad (I never tested): https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/vnc...pad&preserveScrollPosition=true#platform/ipad

I want to access it only when strictly needed. It's supposed to be an audio endpoint PC that does nothing but power on, play music and power off.

Feb 10, 2018 at 4:49 AM Post #273 of 777
I just got mine from AA a couple of days ago. Running version 2.1 software. Very happy so far as this is a very noticeable sonic improvement in many areas over my Oppo HA-2. I will give my full impressions later, but for now I have a question. I have heard users extol the performance improvements of using an external linear power supply over the included wall wart. However, it says in the manual that "Unit can be powered directly from the computer via USB input. In this case is highly recommended to disconnect Power 5V DC cable from the unit-- power disturbances from two power supplies could affect sound performance." So are they saying that I should not use the LPS if I am using the USB input?? If this is true, what is best practice for using a LPS to improve sound quality?

Feb 10, 2018 at 1:56 PM Post #275 of 777
I just got mine from AA a couple of days ago. Running version 2.1 software. Very happy so far as this is a very noticeable sonic improvement in many areas over my Oppo HA-2. I will give my full impressions later, but for now I have a question. I have heard users extol the performance improvements of using an external linear power supply over the included wall wart. However, it says in the manual that "Unit can be powered directly from the computer via USB input. In this case is highly recommended to disconnect Power 5V DC cable from the unit-- power disturbances from two power supplies could affect sound performance." So are they saying that I should not use the LPS if I am using the USB input?? If this is true, what is best practice for using a LPS to improve sound quality?

The manual does indeed say we should use the included switching power supply for coaxial and optical input only, and when connected via USB we should not use the external supply. However:

In October 2017 over on pinkfishmedia where he hangs out, the designer of this product encouraged us to ignore that part of the manual and experiment with using external adapters with USB for better sound quality. When an external power adapter is connected, the device auto-switches from USB power to the adapter. All or most of us have found this improves the sound. This improvement has been greater than that provided by USB anti-jitter and/or USB power accessories.

In late December 2017, he stated that we should do this only with a linear or battery PSU, to avoid possible noise from earth leakage currents. A number of users commented that they are seeing improvements and no problems using switching power supplies, including the stock adapter and the iFi iPower. However most of us are now using linear power supplies, ranging from cheap linear wall warts and phone battery packs, to the UpTone UltraCap and beyond.

In January 2018 Pro-Ject introduced two new products for fall 2018 that will meet those requirements: a battery PSU called the AccuBox S2 USB, and a linear supply called the PowerBox S2.

Feb 10, 2018 at 2:00 PM Post #276 of 777
Feb 10, 2018 at 2:38 PM Post #277 of 777
Interesting, thanks. Looks worth considering.

No MQA, but software and/or other devices upstream in the chain could take care of all or most of that.

I like that the OP in the other thread says it has "no ESS glare as some associate with ESS chips". Subscribed.

Yw...

What does he mean by that? Maybe better to ask himself but it looks like you know what he mean...

By any chance do lid you ever test those Weiliang/breeze dac boards?
They look also very appealing.... But the price looks almost to good to be true.

Feb 10, 2018 at 4:47 PM Post #278 of 777
@Detectit "glare" generally means "too bright", as in too much treble, and often also too sharp and digital-sounding. I wouldn't go so far as to say the Pre Box S2 Digital has glare, but I do find the sound signature too bright and too reference-oriented for my tastes. I prefer a warmer and more analog sound, and I've found that to exist only in circuits built around AKM DAC chips so far. But the influence of a DAC on your system's sound signature is usually quite subtle and less immediately noticeable compared to that of amps, headphones, and speakers.

Last edited:
Feb 13, 2018 at 2:26 PM Post #279 of 777
@Detectit "glare" generally means "too bright", as in too much treble, and often also too sharp and digital-sounding. I wouldn't go so far as to say the Pre Box S2 Digital has glare, but I do find the sound signature too bright and too reference-oriented for my tastes. I prefer a warmer and more analog sound, and I've found that to exist only in circuits built around AKM DAC chips so far. But the influence of a DAC on your system's sound signature is usually quite subtle and less immediately noticeable compared to that of amps, headphones, and speakers.

Hi,

Thanks for your feedback. Hmzzzz you have got me thinking about the other option an AK4497 DAC.

I will let you know if i made my decission.
Lots of boards and configuration to choose from.

Feb 15, 2018 at 3:51 PM Post #282 of 777
Been looking for this for about a month and couldn't find it so I thought I post an ask.

Can anyone please measure this dac on it's different filters? I need some RMAA goodness before I commit to buy.

Also, has anyone compared this to either a Geek Out 2A or an ODAC (by nwavguy)? Those are the two I own so I'm looking to understand how this sounds in comparison.

Feb 15, 2018 at 4:11 PM Post #283 of 777
Been looking for this for about a month and couldn't find it so I thought I post an ask.

Can anyone please measure this dac on it's different filters? I need some RMAA goodness before I commit to buy.

Also, has anyone compared this to either a Geek Out 2A or an ODAC (by nwavguy)? Those are the two I own so I'm looking to understand how this sounds in comparison.

The DAC was measured on all filter settings by the developer of HQ Player, who posted comments as "Miska" on this product's thread at ComputerAudiophile [link]. His opinion is that it sounds best and measures best with Distortion Compensation enabled and the filter set to Fast Rolloff. You'll also find comments and comparisons by other users, and the developer himself ("JohnW"), on this product's thread at pinkfishmedia [link].

Somewhere I've seen a post or two saying this product's sound quality outclasses the ODAC. I've never heard of the Geek Out 2A, but after some fast Google-fu I can say the Pre Box S2 Digital has twice the DAC chips and a few more features including MQA decoding. However, in the end your sound preferences matter the most. Personally I prefer a smoother, warmer, more forgiving sound than I've heard on any ESS-based DACs, or any headphone amps designed to go with them.

Feb 15, 2018 at 4:16 PM Post #284 of 777
The DAC was measured on all filter settings by the developer of HQ Player, who posted comments as "Miska" on this product's thread at ComputerAudiophile [link]. His opinion is that it sounds best and measures best with Distortion Compensation enabled and the filter set to Fast Rolloff. You'll also find comments and comparisons by other users, and the developer himself ("JohnW"), on this product's thread at pinkfishmedia [link].

Somewhere I've seen a post or two saying this product's sound quality outclasses the ODAC. I've never heard of the Geek Out 2A, but after some fast Google-fu I can say the Pre Box S2 Digital has twice the DAC chips and a few more features including MQA decoding. However, in the end your sound preferences matter the most. Personally I prefer a smoother, warmer, more forgiving sound than I've heard on any ESS-based DACs, or any headphone amps designed to go with them.

I see. Are the measurements themselves posted? I'd rather see the graphs and/or numbers myself than read about someone's opinions of them if that makes sense.

And that's fair - I prefer the true digital, cut through the crap sound of the Sabre chips in general, however, implementation plays a big role in the measureable output, frequency response, phase, noise, etc.

Also, how does the noise compensation work? I'm not sure where to find details on what it means/it's implementation.

Feb 15, 2018 at 4:31 PM Post #285 of 777
I see. Are the measurements themselves posted? I'd rather see the graphs and/or numbers myself than read about someone's opinions of them if that makes sense.

And that's fair - I prefer the true digital, cut through the crap sound of the Sabre chips in general, however, implementation plays a big role in the measureable output, frequency response, phase, noise, etc.

Also, how does the noise compensation work? I'm not sure where to find details on what it means/it's implementation.

I haven't seen charts and graphs, just forum comments, but those are at least more unvarnished than professional reviews.

I find the Sabre implementations too "reference" and sometimes too "digital" for my tastes. I've been going with all AKM-based DACs since this one. Also the headphone amp is an example of Pro-Ject's clear crisp house sound, while I prefer something warmer. But regardless of your preferences, the Pre Box S2 Digital is a fun little thing with a lot of features for the price.

Distortion Compensation suppresses harmonics created within the DAC chip. See for example the section on "THD Compensation" (THD = Total Harmonic Distortion) in this article [link]. I'm no expert, and it's best to ask devs like Miska and JohnW if you want to drill down on the topic.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back