Pro-Ject Hear It One ?
Nov 6, 2012 at 12:02 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

Sniper1

New Head-Fier
Anybody tried them ? New closed headphones from Pro-Ject.

Here's from the website:

http://box-designs.com/main.php?prod=hearitone&cat=headphones&lang=en

Pro-Ject Hear it One

Audiophile stereo headphone

Specifications
• smart, audiophile & comfortable
• Classic design
• Adjustable leather-coated headband
• Soft leather ear cushions (memory foam)
• Textile coated cable made from oxygen-free copper (HP-OFC)
• Gold plated 3,5mm jack plug
• High gloss & metal finish

Hear it One: smart, audiophile & comfortable
Dynamic headphone with neodymium magnetic transducers satisfies with audiophile playback and classy looks. Hear it One offers more detail, than most headphones costing twice or more. Their leather head-band can easily be adjusted and soft ear cushions made from memory foam with leather coating make it easy to hear music for hours. A woven cable with bend-protection made from high purity oxygen-free copper (HP-OFC), high-quality gold-plated plugs guarantee undisturbed low-loss signal transmission.

Hear it headphones prove again, that outstanding quality needs not to be expensive.

Retail price: € 99,90

Print this page Last update 31.10.2012

Technical data

Pro-Ject Hear it One

Transducer 38mm Neodymium driver (dynamic)
Enclosure sealed
Head-band adjustable (leather coating)
Frequency response 10-22.000 Hz
Cable material HPOFC (woven)
Cable length 1,25 m
Senstivity 101 dB @ 1mW
Max. sound pressure level 126dB
Impedance 32 ohms
Maximum input power 200 mW
Connector gold-plated 3,5 mm jack plug
6,3mm jack adaptor included
Weight (without cable) 178 g
Colour black

Nov 11, 2012 at 4:55 PM Post #3 of 19
I had a chance to listen to these on Audio show 2 weeks ago out of project small amp and my mp3 player. No problems with volume as it is low impedance. Please bear in mind it was a noisy environment.

These seem fairly neutral and detailed in a variety of genres - I tried some rock, pop and classical symphonic. Isolation is of course better then open headphones but not so great. Build quality is good. Cable is not detachable, not too long with minijack end but 1/4 inch gold plated adapter is provided with the headphone. 
I haven't had much experience with other similar budget products but hey struck me as definitely better then Creative Aurvana Live and AKG D618

For the price I believe this is a good choice and I will be getting one as my on the go setup with my Galaxy S

Nov 12, 2012 at 8:22 PM Post #6 of 19
I ordered one. I like Pro-Ject's analog stuff.

Nov 13, 2012 at 6:40 PM Post #7 of 19
Well, so much for that. My order was cancelled because US dealers are not allowed to ship outside the US.

Nov 21, 2012 at 4:56 PM Post #8 of 19
As Project Hear it one is rather unknown I decided to compare it with a popular Creative Aurvana Live.

Build quality

Project with its metal headband fells sturdier than plastic CAL,

Comfort
CAL for me is circumaural and thus more comfortable allowing more air. With project I feel slightly more pressure and after longer listening my ears get hot.

Isolation
Again Project slightly wins here despite being supra-aural in design.

Soundstage
I feel CAL has slightly bigger soundstage albeit less detailed.

Bass
Both headphones have bass boost. Project has more slam and extends deeper - feels a bit more bassy, but it doesn't overshadow rest of sound range.

Mids
Mids are highlighted on CAL. I would put it on same level  as Project.

Highs
Big advantage for Project here. Highs go higher then on CAL, are not subdued or glaring.

To sum up Project extends lower and higher, is more detailed. Neither of these is best for classical music (Project still better), they are equally good for electronic but I would give the edge to Project in remaining music genres due to more detailed presentation.

Gear used:
Samsung Galaxy S with voodoo sound and neutron music player no EQ or crossfeed enabled.
Music (FLAC):
Loreena McKennit   Elemental  Blaksmith
Berliner Philharmoniker and Herbert von Karajan 1962  Beethoven 5th symphony opening
Tarja Turunen  My Winter Storm  I walk alone
Within Temptation  Black Symphony  Our Solemn Hour  Destroyed  Last Time
Metallica S&M  Enter Sandman
The Piano Guys  Rolling in the Deep vocal version   The Cello Song
Muse Absolution Hysteria Resistance Uprising

Nov 22, 2012 at 12:29 PM Post #9 of 19
Quote:
Looks like a Fischer FA-004.

Yep. And if it indeed is the same headphone "Hear it headphones prove again, that outstanding quality needs not to be expensive." is as much connected with reality as Beats marketing hype is. If it's the same headphone as FA-004 it is a good headphone but considering I paid 16 euros for my Ace mp-68 Pro-Jects price tag is absurd. It's nice to see more and more companies getting into headphone business but not like this. This is especially low from a company like Pro-Ject that has previous experience with audio equipment. Instead of creating something of their own they buy headphones from Taiwan and price it to the roof and think nobody is going to notice.  Good thing we have internet, so less people are likely to get screwed. My local audio store sells these. Maybe I'll go and give Hear it ones a listen and see if those are infact same headphones as fa-004,brainwavz hm3,mc crypt dj-50, ace mp-68, maxell retro dj...

Nov 27, 2012 at 12:30 AM Post #10 of 19
Thanks for your additional thoughts, Agarvaen. Can you comment on the materials on the Pro-Ject on their own terms? Do they seem durable? Do they squeak on the head or anything? It looks like they don't come with a case.

Nov 27, 2012 at 1:46 AM Post #12 of 19
Nov 27, 2012 at 1:55 AM Post #13 of 19
@ Priest Earcups squeak a bit when you adjust them but once on your head it is fine. For durability Beocord mentioned a number of headphones that look just the same barring company logos and minor details so I fear these are indeed repackaged model of the same type. Perhaps reviews of these will be more helpful for more opinions about build quality and its characteristic.

@ Focker  I am not a basshead and use these only for 1 h a day at work. Being used to HD 800 as my regular setup I would say the bass is boomy.

Dec 2, 2012 at 6:49 PM Post #14 of 19
Quote:
Quote:
Looks like a Fischer FA-004.

Yep. And if it indeed is the same headphone "Hear it headphones prove again, that outstanding quality needs not to be expensive." is as much connected with reality as Beats marketing hype is. If it's the same headphone as FA-004 it is a good headphone but considering I paid 16 euros for my Ace mp-68 Pro-Jects price tag is absurd. It's nice to see more and more companies getting into headphone business but not like this. This is especially low from a company like Pro-Ject that has previous experience with audio equipment. Instead of creating something of their own they buy headphones from Taiwan and price it to the roof and think nobody is going to notice.  Good thing we have internet, so less people are likely to get screwed. My local audio store sells these. Maybe I'll go and give Hear it ones a listen and see if those are infact same headphones as fa-004,brainwavz hm3,mc crypt dj-50, ace mp-68, maxell retro dj...

That would be helpful and informative.

Dec 29, 2012 at 4:25 PM Post #15 of 19
I just heard these today at a local dealer alongside several other models from Grado, the PSB M4u2, the Focal Spirit, and the Senn HD650 (nice setup--VCANS amp), with my AKG k601s as a personal reference. These Pro-Jects were the most enjoyable I listened to, mainly because of the bass emphasis. They're definitely on the dark side of the spectrum. It was really noticeable compared to the others, especially on some pop/rock tracks with heavy bass already. If you've seen Tron: Legacy, the Pro-Jects reminded me of listening to the opening track "the grid" on my home theater with wonderful low frequency power. The upper end Grados are alittle bright for my ears, and the Pro-Jects don't have those traits. I wouldn't call them analytical by any means, but they were engaging and fun. Whereas the Focal headphones had bass extension, the Pro-Jects got bloatly on some songs. With bass-lean recordings (Interpol, for example), though, they seem like a good match. Ditto the above about construction and comfort. The earcups are on the small side, and I have small ears. I want to go listen to them some more for longer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back