Pro.Dac or Dac In The Box (Coem Australia)
Feb 7, 2008 at 1:08 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

funkz

New Head-Fier
Hi all,
I've been trying to search for threads about these products, but seems the search function ignores anything you try to do, rips out keywords and searches with an 'OR' logic. I tried +"Pro.Dac", +Pro +Dac, etc.

Anyway, I'm new to the DAC world. I just built a new PC and am going to get a Chaintech AV-710, and looking to stick a DAC in between this and my Hi-Fi amp. Seems DACs aren't cheap, so I'm looking at something on the lower end, but something that is of half decent quality.

Was looking at COEM Audio, and they have a couple of nice little DACs which are within my price range. There's the DAC In The Box and Pro.DAC. Looks like the difference is a USB input and up to 192KHz for the Pro.Dac.

Has anyone had any experience with these, are they any good? Should I get one? I guess I'd get the DAC In A Box because I don't really need USB, just optical.

Cheers.
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 7, 2008 at 3:09 AM Post #2 of 11
Quote:

The receiver chip is the CS8416 and the DAC chip used is the CS4398.

I just checked these out, they are both 192KHz, so the difference is just a USB port. Any thoughts on the DAC In The Box?

Feb 7, 2008 at 5:37 AM Post #3 of 11
Feb 7, 2008 at 8:42 AM Post #4 of 11
If you haven't already, you should email COEM about it too. Pretty decent guys - up front and honest from my experience...

Feb 7, 2008 at 12:35 PM Post #5 of 11
Ok cool. I have placed an order for the DAC In A Box. Don't need the USB version.
smily_headphones1.gif

Awaiting arrival of my new Chaintech AV-710 card too...
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks for everyone's help.

Feb 15, 2008 at 12:21 PM Post #6 of 11
Okay, I received the stuff and have it going in Vista x64. The sound quality is amazing - so much better than my laptop headphone out plugged into my amp. Was always an impedance mismatch but my only option.

My setup goes like this:
Chaintech AV-710 -> S/PDIF optical 2ch 24-bit 96KHz -> DAC-In-The-Box -> RCA stereo -> Sherwood 2ch amp.

Sound is so natural, deep and detailed and sounds like the response curve has been hit by a steaming iron. Much flatter!
smily_headphones1.gif
Whole setup only cost me about $150 and in my opinion, was worth it.

Feb 15, 2008 at 12:40 PM Post #8 of 11
I got it from a dude on here 2nd hand for $30. He has another, new in box for $60. If you want, I can forward you his username. Otherwise just keep an eye on the for sale, and do some searching. Even add a WTB post maybe.

Quote:

Originally Posted by FinnishPower /img/forum/go_quote.gif
im also from Australia and been having trouble finding places that sell the Chaintech AV-710, where did you get yours from and how much?

Feb 3, 2010 at 6:55 AM Post #10 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by funkz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Okay, I received the stuff and have it going in Vista x64. The sound quality is amazing - so much better than my laptop headphone out plugged into my amp. Was always an impedance mismatch but my only option.

My setup goes like this:
Chaintech AV-710 -> S/PDIF optical 2ch 24-bit 96KHz -> DAC-In-The-Box -> RCA stereo -> Sherwood 2ch amp.

Sound is so natural, deep and detailed and sounds like the response curve has been hit by a steaming iron. Much flatter!
smily_headphones1.gif
Whole setup only cost me about $150 and in my opinion, was worth it.

so this does worl with vista, im assuming it was the super pro? or both the dac in the box too/

does anyone use the dac in th ebox with vista 64 bit?

Feb 3, 2010 at 10:58 AM Post #11 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by RockinCannoisseur /img/forum/go_quote.gif
so this does worl with vista, im assuming it was the super pro? or both the dac in the box too/

does anyone use the dac in th ebox with vista 64 bit?

Yeah I cant remember which one it is but it looks just like the Pro.Dac MKII minus the USB port. I'm using optical, so it doesn't matter about Vista/7. I have had some issues with the driver in Win 7 (x64) but it still works fine overall.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back