Pro audio quality closed-back headphones?
Mar 7, 2008 at 7:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 36

Lunatique

1000+ Head-Fier
I'm a composer that's looking for a closed pair of circumaural headphones. I already have a nice pair of open-back cans for when I need to use the headphones, but I need a pair of closed-back ones for recording (so the headphones don't bleed into the microphone), so this means it's got to have great isolation. Being that they'll be used for recording, they need to be as accurate as possible, and this is where things get really hard, because I can't seem to find a pair of closed-back that's got an accurate range of frequency response--most are either bass monsters or the opposite. I'd love to find a pair of closed-back that's similar to the accuracy of the well-known open-back flagship models from the likes of Sennheiser, Beyerdynamics, AKG...etc. (I have the HD555 and they are damn good for the price--almost as good as the more expensive models--just a tad warmer.) I also like the cloth/velvet feel on the earpads more than the pleather ones, since the pleather ones can get sticky when it's hot, but this is probably the least of my concern. It's more important to have them be very comfortable (my HD555's are so comfy that I forget to take them off when I don't need them anymore).

The best candidates I could find thus are are:

Beyerdynamics DT770 - This is a popular one in studios, but it's a bass monster, and a bit sharp on the high frequencies.

Beyerdynamics DT250-80 - On paper it provides great isolation, but seems slightly anemic in the bass range, and the highs are also not as as sparkly.

AKG 271 - Seems to lack bass, and also does that nose-dive in the high frequency range like the DT250-80.

So far it seems like it's impossible to get great accuracy with closed-back--I guess it's the nature of a closed-back design. But if you guys have any recommendations I'd be very happy to hear them.

Oh, and I have a Denon AHD-950 (had it for over 10 years now) that's actually pretty good--a bit hi-fi (smiley curve on the frequencies), but not bad. It's not comfortable though--touches your ears so they hurt after a few hours, and it's pleather so your ears sweat.

Mar 7, 2008 at 8:15 PM Post #2 of 36
I haven't heard them personally but the AKG 271s are very popular in recording situations...there must be a reason why. I think they're very neutral and accurate for checking volumes in mixing and stuff.

Mar 7, 2008 at 8:41 PM Post #3 of 36
I've owned the Beyerdynamic DT770/80's for over 2 years now and I absolutely love them. I actually bought them when I didn't know anything about phones(not that I really do now lol), but was lucky to have been talked into them by a Guitar Center associate. I didn't realize how good I had it until I had to listen through other phones a year later. They have wonderful isolation. I piss my roomates off when I play call of duty 4 and yell obscenities because I can't hear myself lol! And they are the most comfortable phones I've ever tried. I love the plush feel of the surrounds. They're also built quite sturdy. I never thought a pair of headphones would last me this long, but they show no signs of slowing down. I should probably get a high quality cable on them though. I'm not too much on the tech specs, but all I can tell you is that they sound phenomenal.

DDH

Mar 7, 2008 at 9:01 PM Post #5 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lunatique /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So far it seems like it's impossible to get great accuracy with closed-back--I guess it's the nature of a closed-back design. But if you guys have any recommendations I'd be very happy to hear them.

Hello

Have you been listening closed headphones or where did you get the idea of closed headphones being inferior to closed? Saw similar response from other member.
Now i'm begining to get realy worired if this is now a common theory on the site
mad.gif

Anyway i recommend AKG K340 for you. Hope you can get one from the used forum or ebay
rolleyes.gif

Mar 7, 2008 at 9:07 PM Post #6 of 36
The Equation RP21 is made for studio monitoring, is around $100 and is easy to drive. They're also comfortable enough to wear for hours. I've never seen an FR graph for them.

Mar 7, 2008 at 9:09 PM Post #8 of 36
the sennheiser HD265 is really neutral, some says its a little bass medium leaning but I find it not an issue. Closed design plus the bass are very clean on it, studio quality...

Mar 7, 2008 at 9:12 PM Post #9 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by telecaster /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the sennheiser HD265 is really neutral, some says its a little bass medium leaning but I find it not an issue. Closed design plus the bass are very clean on it, studio quality...

It is the KING of the bass monsters, but a very good closed headphone. Why the cord is 3 meters long I just don't know...

Mar 7, 2008 at 11:15 PM Post #11 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by esuko /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hello

Have you been listening closed headphones or where did you get the idea of closed headphones being inferior to closed? Saw similar response from other member.
Now i'm begining to get realy worired if this is now a common theory on the site
mad.gif

Anyway i recommend AKG K340 for you. Hope you can get one from the used forum or ebay
rolleyes.gif

If you simply look at the frequency chart comparison between closed and open models, you'll see that it's much easier to achieve flatter frequency response when using open design.

I'd prefer to not get used headphones as I have no idea if the previous owner blew them out at some point.

Scompton - that Equation RP21 seems very interesting, but too bad not a lot of info about them.

silverrain - My past experience with Sony is that they tend to be quite shrill and bass shy, but maybe the V6 is different.

telecaster - wow, I didn't know there was a HD265. Sennheiser's got so many models it's scary.

esuko - thanks for the link. I'll check it out.

Mar 7, 2008 at 11:24 PM Post #13 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lunatique /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I didn't know there was a HD265. Sennheiser's got so many models it's scary.

That model is discontinued and somewhat hard to find these days. I'm in the process of sourcing a pair of these from the UK at the moment and should come up with a pair in a few days. I had a chance to audition these a couple of years ago and enjoyed them. I don't think Sennheiser makes/has made a better closed headphone for Hi-Fi listening than these, and I preferred them to the HD250 II Linear (but those were VERY hard to drive, so I didn't get everything out of them).

Mar 8, 2008 at 12:37 AM Post #15 of 36
I've owned a pair of AKG 271S and while they're pretty good, I feel that they do need decent amping to sound their best.

I hesitate to recommend a closed can that I've not heard, but if I was looking for a pair of studio monitors, I'd take the time to audition a pair of Stax 4070 electrostatics with a Headamp KGSS or a Stax SRM-007TA amplifier.

There's a thread here of someone who recently got a pair. Not cheap, but probably worth it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back