Pro audio quality closed-back headphones?
Mar 8, 2008 at 1:09 AM Post #16 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dorito123 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Price range and what amp will you be using?

Headphone Reviews :: Audio-Technica ATH-ESW9

These can be had for 300

No amp. Price range preferred lower than $250 street price. I never really was sold on the benefits of a headphone amp, unless you guys want to change my mind.
biggrin.gif

Mar 8, 2008 at 8:08 AM Post #17 of 36
I recommend the Stax 4070.
A studio monitor, which afaik were originally designed and built to order for a major Japanese TV channel.

Mar 8, 2008 at 8:45 AM Post #18 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I recommend the Stax 4070.

Wow, they must have struck oil in Norway at some point
tongue.gif

If there's ever a Head-Fi meet in Lapland, I hope I get to listen to some of your electrostats.

Mar 8, 2008 at 8:54 AM Post #19 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaska /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wow, they must have struck oil in Norway at some point
tongue.gif

If there's ever a Head-Fi meet in Lapland, I hope I get to listen to some of your electrostats.

Hehehehe

I'm in also
tongue.gif

Mar 8, 2008 at 9:39 AM Post #20 of 36
Lunatique,

After trying all the headphones and headphone amps listed down below in my sig, I've settled, at least for now, on the DT770/80.

I don't believe that you need a dedicated amp for them. In fact, I'm beginning to think that dedicated amps can over-amp certain headphones, changing the manufacturers' intentions as to their sound signatures, although certain individuals may prefer an amped sound.

I think that if you buy and take the time to get used to the DT770, they'll be the tool you require, and you'll learn to compensate for how they deviate from "perfection." They are rugged and supremely comfortable, too.

BTW, Lunatique - you have an absolutely beautiful, intelligent, and wonderful personal website!! Congratulations!

Mar 8, 2008 at 7:05 PM Post #21 of 36
Man, that Stax.... I don't think I want to spend more than a couple to a few hundred dollars on a headphone, since it'll only be used for tracking, and I already own a pair of $7,000 near-field monitors--that's what I use for critical listening/mixing/mastering/ultimate blissful audiophile immersion.

greggf - Thank you for the kind words.

I'm a bit nervous about the DT770 since it's known as a bass monster, and since bass is one of the instruments I play, when I'm recording, I sometimes will try to dial in the desired bass tone on the fly, and I'm afraid the DT770 will make me over-compensate and dial in a more anemic tone than I should.

At the moment, I'm leaning towards these two:

Equation RP21
Audio-Technica ATH-M50

Both seem great bang for the buck, have gotten some nice reviews, and aren't too expensive (just about right for what I think tracking headphones should cost. For mixing/mastering, that'd be a different price range).

Mar 8, 2008 at 7:15 PM Post #22 of 36
Equation Audio RP21 is a good choice. Its not audiophile quality, but its still relatively flat headphone from midrange to highs, bordering on dry. Bass does have some hump-up, but it isnt as monstrous as DT770. So if you have a headphone that is also bass lean, you can check that bass sounds good on both headphones, K271S comes into mind. As you have probaply noticed, there isnt a headphone that does everything perfectly, so it might be ideal to have two different headphones with different good sides. If it sounds good on both headphones, it most likely sounds good in every system. Am I right? This might also prevent you from mixing music too bassless and lean, an error that might happen if mixer has bit too bass-happy system.

The thing with RP21 is that it isnt very comfortable for longer periods. Cups are very shallow, which is bad for outwards pointing ears, and pleatherpads can get bit sweaty. Construction is also creaky, but that doesnt matter if the sound is something you have looked for.

Mar 8, 2008 at 8:06 PM Post #23 of 36
Maybe Denon D2000's or 1000's, just to give you something to look at?

Mar 8, 2008 at 8:12 PM Post #24 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by ZarakiSan /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Im quite sure that they are way too bassy. They are rather 'fun-side' headphones afterall, no?

Mar 8, 2008 at 9:43 PM Post #26 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by ZarakiSan /img/forum/go_quote.gif

that is good advice. i would ony add the Ultrasone HFI-780. it's new and becoming a head-fi favorite!

Mar 8, 2008 at 10:05 PM Post #27 of 36
So have you heard the dt250 and found it lacking? or just basing that on reports?

Mar 8, 2008 at 10:10 PM Post #28 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by esuko /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is flat response that important in mixing or is the ability to reveal mistakes in the mix more important?
Yamaha NS-10 monitor as example. Far from flat but still used in many studios.

FOSTEX NF-1A Monitor Review

Isnt it ideal that the speaker plays all the frequencies as-is, not not boost nor diminish some sounds on its own? Isnt this important when tuning the colors of sound etc...? But then again, frequency response doesnt always tell the full story.

About Ultrasones, they might be excellent for mastering. If there is an compression artifact, they show it. They actually show it down your throat. Ultrasone Proline 650 and 750 do rather good job, but their isolation is very lacking compared to other closed headphones. But also their midrange is bit lacking, especially lower mids.

Mar 9, 2008 at 1:59 AM Post #29 of 36
I actually own a previous generation Denon (the AH-D950) and indeed is quite a fun headphone--a bit of the smiley curve response. Definitely not flat, but great cans for sure.

esuko - I think NS-10's are so popular because it hypes the mid's, so it puts a magnifying glass in that frequency range--which is the critical range because with the radios/TV back then, that's all you heard.
biggrin.gif

Being ruler flat is more important IMO. If your gear is ruler flat, then what you mix it on will translate to the greatest number of different speakers, headphones...etc. If your gear is colored, then you will over-compensate in one way or another, unless you know the gear extremely well and know how to compensate correctly for it. But why compensate? Just use accurate gear to begin with I say.

Mar 9, 2008 at 6:07 AM Post #30 of 36
EricJ - I looked at the frequency chart at headphone.com. Based on my numerous listening tests, the frequency charts are very accurate representations of what I hear, so I totally trust them 100%.

I just did a 3-hour listening test at a local pro audio shop, and here's a mini review of the ones I tested:

ATH-M50 - By far the best of the bunch. Sounds very similar to my HD555. In fact, if it was open-back, it would probably sound just like the HD555. Nice and warm, lush, no harshness at all. No boosted or scooped frequencies, except the highest highs are just tiny bit rolled off for the warm sound (this is essentially for me, as most headphones are too sharp to me).

Equation RP21 - Very good for the price. Slight harsh at the high end, but everything else was great. The ear-cups don't fit as comfortably or securely as other headphone with full-sized ear-cups.

Beyerdynamics DT770 / DT880 - Sounded similar to each other, with the DT880 a bit more accurate. Both have that slight harshness in the highs that I don't like. I prefer the slightly warm Sennheiser sound. these are very comfy though--I wish the M50 and the RP21 had velour ear-cups like these.

Sony MDR-7509 / MDR-V600 - I have always disliked the Sony headphones due to the shrillness of the high end, and it's still the same this time. Absolutely couldn't stand it. Talk about listening fatigue!

Sennheiser HD280 Pro - It's ok. Nothing to write home about. At the same price, the RP21 sounds significantly better (although the HD280 doesn't have that slight harshness in the high end).

Sennheiser HD202 - for such a cheap price, it's quite good. Bass is hyped, and lower-mids are recessed.

M-Audio Q40 - Second best of the bunch by far. Almost like a middle ground between the M50 and the RP21--the harshness in the high end is almost gone--just a tiny hint that's barely there. The rest sounds remarkably similar to the M50. The ear-cups are a more secure fit, but some might prefer the looser feel of the M50 and the RP21.

Some Samson headphone - CRAP. Don't bother.

So, my final decision is:

RP21 (already bought a pair used from someone here on head-fi) - for the singer to wear during tracking.

M50 - for me to wear during tracking.

I could swap out the RP21 for the Q40, but since someone was selling the RP21 and no one was selling the Q40 used, I jumped on the RP21. I like the Q40 better, but I also like the fact that the RP21 will give me a different perspective as an alternate take on my mix, whereas the Q40 is so similar to the M50 and HD555 that I really don't need 3 very similar sounding headphones. The RP21 will provide a bit of variety. Besides, I love that vermillion color.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back