Pro 900s: initial thoughts, speculation and questions
Nov 7, 2009 at 1:11 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Kayito-san

100+ Head-Fier
This past Monday I received a pair of Ultrasone Pro 900s. I opened the box with an enormous smile on my face and plugged them into my computer and started up my favorite album of all time (Words that go Unspoken, Deeds that go Undone by the British extreme metal group, Akercocke) to see what my new puppies were capable of straight out of the box.

However, I didn't really know what to think, or understand what I was hearing. On the one hand, I could feel, really feel David Gray pumping out ~200BPM on the drums. Fantastic punch, I felt as though I was in the same room as Mr. Gray; The bass was pretty thick and it was very slightly warped, but zounds! did it ever have character. However, this was pre-burn-in, and the rest of the sound seemed understandably dissonant.

Fast-forward a week. I have a cold, and have for a few days, but that hasn't stopped my from wrapping my Ultrasones around my noggin. Even without substantial burn-in, although they've had some, I find the Ultrasones are nonetheless addicting. It's not that the headphones have the "perfect" sound yet, but the headphones are just so much more comfortable (read: 'silk underwear' of headphone ilk) than my Sennheiser in-ears and more soundproof than my Grado '225s that I don't too much mind the slightly, well... "flaccid," bass.

"But ah," desire still cries, "give me some food."

I want to hear how these headphones really sound. I've read numerous other Pro- series threads, and there have been claims that the Pro 900s really can offer a lot more with burn-in. But how much more? and how much burn-in? What am I missing? What is the optimal burn-in time for the Ultrasone Pro 900s?

Nov 7, 2009 at 1:14 AM Post #2 of 8
I'd say a good burn in time would be about 200-250hours.

My pro750's changed dramatically after about 150 and are now just getting better and better. (im on about 300 now).

Nov 7, 2009 at 10:25 AM Post #5 of 8
250 hours but you can speed it up by using pink noise when not listening to them. Don´t ask to much on what you will hear it will colour your perception.

As for drums yes the Ultrasones have the speed required to make them shine surely. the zoing! think will go away pretty quickly.

As mentioned they scale very well with amps and sources too. I kind of require an amp for my Pro 900. What soundcard do you use btw?

Nov 7, 2009 at 12:13 PM Post #6 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kommando /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by oqvist
they scale very well with amps and sources too. I kind of require an amp for my Pro 900.

Good advice both.

Nov 7, 2009 at 9:19 PM Post #7 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kommando /img/forum/go_quote.gif

My pro750's changed dramatically after about 150 and are now just getting better and better. (im on about 300 now).

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crooks141 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Whats your source/amp?

Quote:

Originally Posted by warrior05 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you are still listening to them plugged into your computer then you have yet to hear their full potential. Improve upon your source and the Ultrasones will scale up nicely.

Quote:

Originally Posted by oqvist /img/forum/go_quote.gif
250 hours but you can speed it up by using pink noise when not listening to them. Don´t ask to much on what you will hear it will colour your perception.

As for drums yes the Ultrasones have the speed required to make them shine surely. the zoing! think will go away pretty quickly.

As mentioned they scale very well with amps and sources too. I kind of require an amp for my Pro 900. What soundcard do you use btw?

Right now I'm using them with my computer or iPod. computer sound card is probably not the best in the market, I'm on a June 2009 MacBook Pro 15". A portable amp would be the only thing feasible for me to buy, because I like to use my headphones while walking between classes or just generally while out-and-about, and I don't have enough desk space to merit a full-sized amp.

Nov 8, 2009 at 1:05 AM Post #8 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kayito-san /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A portable amp would be the only thing feasible for me to buy, because I like to use my headphones while walking between classes or just generally while out-and-about, and I don't have enough desk space to merit a full-sized amp.

Consider the Nuforce Icon Mobile -- I find the Pro 900 to sound uncannily good out of it for the price.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back