Private Message Etiquette
Jan 28, 2008 at 1:09 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 33

bigjim82

500+ Head-Fier
I'm looking for a little guidance . I have very limited experience with online forums and have a question concerning PM etiquette. I have been using the search function to find info on transports for use with my recently purchased dac. I have not found as much info as I would like, but have seen members who have this dac listed in their signatures. My question is this: would it be out of line to send an unsolicited PM to another Head-Fier asking a couple of short questions on their experience with transports used with this dac?

Thanks in advance for your input.

Jan 28, 2008 at 1:16 AM Post #2 of 33
I don't believe so. It happens to me all the time. Worst that happens is you get no response.
wink.gif

Jan 28, 2008 at 1:38 AM Post #5 of 33
I'd say that a politely worded PM including an introduction of who you are is perfectly in line. I know I respond to plenty of random PM's from folks asking for advice.

Jan 28, 2008 at 1:38 AM Post #6 of 33
Do it. I respond to PMs I receive and I have always received responses to my unsolicited PMs. Head-fi is excellent for this.

cheers
Simon

Jan 28, 2008 at 1:43 AM Post #7 of 33
Go ahead, most people like to talk about their gear.

I've gotten a few asking me to sell stuff, which I wasn't crazy about. And then there was a guy who wanted to swap hard drives full of music. Turned him down.

Reminds me, I need to catch up on the PMs tonight.

Jan 28, 2008 at 1:50 AM Post #8 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by n_maher /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'd say that a politely worded PM including an introduction of who you are is perfectly in line.

i agree with nate. i usually preface my pms sent to other members with this.

"Dear Friend,

I wish to approach you with a request that would be of immense benefit to both of us. I am an attorney based in Scotland United Kingdom. I want you and I to make some fortune out of a situation that I am obviously left with no other better option. The issue that I am presenting to you is a case of my client that willed a fortune to his only daughter. It is unfortunate that he and his daughter died in a bomb attack. The wife died of heart attack on receiving the sad news a week after. I am now faced with a problem of getting a trusted person who I will make the beneficiary that I would pass the fortune to. And according to the law such fortune is supposed to be bequeathed to the government if there is not any relatives or next-of-kin of the decease that would surface for claim of the fortune."

then i ask them what their favorite IC is?

Jan 28, 2008 at 2:37 AM Post #12 of 33
I thought the thread title read private massage etiquette.

Jan 28, 2008 at 2:43 AM Post #13 of 33
glad to answer any PMs as long as you arent callin me a dirty name for no good reason =P

Jan 28, 2008 at 2:46 AM Post #14 of 33
That is exactly what the PM system is for, right?

Jan 28, 2008 at 3:54 AM Post #15 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by vcoheda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i agree with nate. i usually preface my pms sent to other members with this.

"Dear Friend,

I wish to approach you with a request that would be of immense benefit to both of us. I am an attorney based in Scotland United Kingdom. I want you and I to make some fortune out of a situation that I am obviously left with no other better option. The issue that I am presenting to you is a case of my client that willed a fortune to his only daughter. It is unfortunate that he and his daughter died in a bomb attack. The wife died of heart attack on receiving the sad news a week after. I am now faced with a problem of getting a trusted person who I will make the beneficiary that I would pass the fortune to. And according to the law such fortune is supposed to be bequeathed to the government if there is not any relatives or next-of-kin of the decease that would surface for claim of the fortune."

then i ask them what their favorite IC is?

HILARIOUS!!
Heck, i don't mind even if someone was form my home town and just wants to say hey. For the most part, if they didn't want to be part of the community, they wouldn't share all that info.
Happy searching.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back