Prima Luna EVO 100 Tube DAC
Dec 19, 2019 at 5:36 AM Post #46 of 56
Nice to see PrimaLuna is still in the leading edge when it comes to originality and bang for the buck. I have a ProLogue One integrated (their very first product) for about 14 years now, and it is still working like new. The pre-amp section tubes are still the original 12AX/AU7 with still many electrons to spare.
Mine is completely naked: I took the top-back lid and it is rather beautiful without it.

IMG_20191213_131224.jpg

Just to testify for the quality and the longevity of this brand!

That DAC should be great! And would be greater if it came with an headphone amp, taking advantage of the already existing tubes on the output circuitry...

Feb 29, 2020 at 7:38 PM Post #49 of 56
Have you received it yet? I'm dying to know how it compares to the Terminator.

Yes, I received the silver one.
Black one has to wait for 4 months.
Glad I grab the silver. Otherwise, China Coronavirus would stop the shipment already.

Out of the box, wonderful DAC.
A little warm but still lots of details. You just know it's a tube setup right away because if the warm of the tube sound.
Left Rectifier tube broke down. They sent tube.
Right side broke down this time. They just sent another tube to replace last week.
Did not install the other driver tubes yet until I know this tube DAC does not burn any tube for the time being.

I have both Evo 200 Dac and Terminator.
Listening to heaphone this time only. Have not try with 2 channel yet.

My setup is MBP, 250 usd usb cable out to Evo dac, ALO Studio Six tube amp, Utopia with DHC Complement 4 silver OCC cable. One of the best sounding setup yet today.

Maybe, the Terminator is best suit for 2 channel I think. I just have more music engaged with Evo 100 DAC than Terminator.

I will test both DAC with 2 channel setup later. My wife kind of asking what are those things do. I don't want to explain more than needed to.

Feb 29, 2020 at 8:39 PM Post #50 of 56
Greetings...if you already have't had the chance to check out on Audiogon thread"another new Dac" will you need to...The Audio Mirror Tubadour 3 Special Edtion Dac is a Very special Dac Indeed That Tejay has summited hps reveiw for Stereo Times and you need to read the whole thread...For $2500 this is a GIANT Killer!...I know we throw this term around on to many products that turn out to be average at best....Well not with this Dac...At our Pittsburgh club a few months ago...we had the Am3 SE...the Schitt Yiggy 2...the Latest Holo spring level 2 KTE..latest... PS audio Perfectwave and a Mytek Brooklyn Dac + and 15 members showed up and it started saturday at 11am and ended at 12.30 at nite...to make a VERY LONG but interresting day and nite the Audio Mirror was the one that was the one that had most of theses Audioheads Buzzing...and 7 members bought The AM3 Se Dac after that LONG day,,,,Soo before you buy anothr dac please read that thread...The Prima Luna was not on the list but does seem to have from all i read a very anolog sound as does the Audio Mirror... The New review should be out in the next few weeks...Vlad who is the designer will give you a 30 day free in home.trial...so i just wanted all to see what this buzz is all about...so i won't be responding to any Questions because we are now doing a high end tube mono block amp shootout...And the Rogue new 180"dark revesion" monos among a few other under $ 10,000 mono's are showing a lot of promise...so once again i urge you to read that Audiogon thread.."Another new Dac"...I think you will find it informative at the least...More Audio food for thought...Sooo Peae..Love And Audio Grease!!!!

Last edited:
Mar 5, 2020 at 10:16 AM Post #51 of 56
My wife kind of asking what are those things do. I don't want to explain more than needed to.

:laughing: He he…I can totally relate to that!

Thanks for the details. Looking forward to your thoughts once you're able to compare it to the Terminator in your 2-channel system.

Last edited:
Mar 16, 2020 at 12:28 PM Post #52 of 56
The Audio Mirror Tubadour 3 Special Edtion Dac review is out on Stereo times.....read it as Terry London(Teajay) compares it to Dacs that cost thousands more...very interesting but as always in Audio YMMV>.....So Love peace and sum good old audio grease

Aug 26, 2020 at 11:23 PM Post #53 of 56
Nice to see PrimaLuna is still in the leading edge when it comes to originality and bang for the buck. I have a ProLogue One integrated (their very first product) for about 14 years now, and it is still working like new. The pre-amp section tubes are still the original 12AX/AU7 with still many electrons to spare.
Mine is completely naked: I took the top-back lid and it is rather beautiful without it.

IMG_20191213_131224.jpg

Just to testify for the quality and the longevity of this brand!

That DAC should be great! And would be greater if it came with an headphone amp, taking advantage of the already existing tubes on the output circuitry...

How did you get the back cover off?

Aug 26, 2020 at 11:24 PM Post #54 of 56
Anyone have good tube suggestions? Currently testing a pair of USAF-596, the Philips are next.

Sep 16, 2020 at 4:23 AM Post #55 of 56
How did you get the back cover off?
Sorry for the delay, I have not been paying much attention to the forum these days.
Removing the back cover is not hard. You have to flip it on the back, remove the bottom plate screws and you'll find 4 screws in each corner where the back plate is attached to the top. One of the screws has a tricky access. You may have to use a thin screwdriver or even remove or unscrew one of the RCA.

Oct 26, 2020 at 1:07 AM Post #56 of 56
Has anyone paired this with an OTL amp for headphones?
I am using a Feliks Elise right now and keep looking for a new DAC. But Holo just doesn't click with me as much as people praise it (mostly, I believe them though).
Not sure if it will work with the Elise or I need to figure some other setup.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back