Prima Luna EVO 100 Tube DAC
Mar 20, 2019 at 12:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 56

T Bone

500+ Head-Fier
Prima Luna has just released a new DAC - the EVO 100 [LINK]
I have a Prima Luna tube pre-amp in my vinyl rig and have been impressed with their "bang-for-buck"

182b+-+PrimaLuna+EVO+100+Tube+Digital+AnaLogue+Converter+-+black+-+slanted+-+white+background.jpg

198b+-+PrimaLuna+EVO+100+Tube+Digital+AnaLogue+Converter+-+silver+-+front+low+-+white+background.jpg

The EVO 100 is based on a Burr Brown chipset. ...but what makes this DAC very interesting is the use of a tube CLOCK! I've never heard of that before.

Like other Prima Luna products, this DAC uses a tube rectified power supply and features a dual mono design.
It looks like the output stages is handled by a pair of 12AX7 tubes and a pair of 12AU7 tubes.

I know how important a good clock is to the overall performance of a DAC, so Prima Luna's choice of a tube based clock is intriguing to say the least. I don't have the technical prowess to offer a fact based opinion on that design choice, I just find it fascinating.

May 9, 2019 at 6:36 PM Post #4 of 56
Greetings...I have one coming. from Upscale Audio....I also have the Latest offering from Audio Mirror...There New Tubadour Dac 3 that i am very fond of....So much so that I sold my Yggy2 Dac and never looked back or would go back(the yggy2 was just too hot and in my face for my system and my taste)....The AM3 is the most analog sounding Dac i ever heard for under$2000.....The PrimaLuna Evo 100 Dac really caught my eye and they give you a generous 30 day return policy(you just have to pay for return shipping..no restocking fee)...so i figured i would pull the trigger....its will be interesting to see how it stacks up against the AM3 and if the extra$1000 is worth the performance

May 13, 2019 at 12:00 PM Post #5 of 56
Prima Luna has just released a new DAC - the EVO 100

The EVO 100 is based on a Burr Brown chipset. ...but what makes this DAC very interesting is the use of a tube CLOCK! I've never heard of that before.

Like other Prima Luna products, this DAC uses a tube rectified power supply and features a dual mono design.
It looks like the output stages is handled by a pair of 12AX7 tubes and a pair of 12AU7 tubes.

I know how important a good clock is to the overall performance of a DAC, so Prima Luna's choice of a tube based clock is intriguing to say the least. I don't have the technical prowess to offer a fact based opinion on that design choice, I just find it fascinating.

I can't even begin to pretend to understand how any of this technical stuff works, but this might be something similar to the way that AMR uses a valve in the SPDIF input circuit:
http://old-site.amr-audio.co.uk/html/dp777_tech-papers_spdif.html
You'll have to read through the whole thing; they only talk about what the valve actually does here a bit later.

Like I said, it might be the same thing, it might not. Science makes my brain cry icy tears of regret.

May 14, 2019 at 12:32 PM Post #6 of 56
Tube clocks are interesting, might be cool to hear how they affect the sound quality of a well-known DS chip. TBH though, I'd love to see a modern design multibit or R2R design with them.

I used to own a few different products from Abbas Audio in Ukraine that made use of tube clocks. SW1X Audio Design makes similar products. They seem to impart a certain unique texture on the overall sound, particularly the bass (e.g. smoother decay but without bloat), but I hesitate to say for certain how it would affect different chipsets.

Last edited:
Jun 11, 2019 at 5:10 PM Post #7 of 56
Greetings...I have one coming. from Upscale Audio....I also have the Latest offering from Audio Mirror...There New Tubadour Dac 3 that i am very fond of....So much so that I sold my Yggy2 Dac and never looked back or would go back(the yggy2 was just too hot and in my face for my system and my taste)....The AM3 is the most analog sounding Dac i ever heard for under$2000.....The PrimaLuna Evo 100 Dac really caught my eye and they give you a generous 30 day return policy(you just have to pay for return shipping..no restocking fee)...so i figured i would pull the trigger....its will be interesting to see how it stacks up against the AM3 and if the extra$1000 is worth the performance
So what do you think?

Jun 22, 2019 at 7:57 PM Post #8 of 56
Also want to know....

Jun 23, 2019 at 1:11 PM Post #9 of 56
Still Haven't pulled the trigger on the EVO100....A member just got the latest Holo Spring2 KTE and he's burning it in ...Once its fully Cooked we will be comparing the two dacs.....The Summer has put me in yard mode(Like most others) and as we get closer to fall will be pursing the EVO100....Lots going on with summer...Going 2nite to Hear Stanley Clarke At A Free Show At The Pittsburgh International Jazz Fest....should be a Killer!!

Jul 11, 2019 at 7:00 AM Post #11 of 56
Hello, I'm a new member here and I noticed this thread.
I have the EVO 100 DAC coming next week. I'll report in regarding it's sonics and build quality. I own a Dialogue Premium preamp that I'm very happy with so the DAC seemed like a good choice for me.
Jimmy.

Jul 21, 2019 at 8:17 PM Post #12 of 56
Update????

Jul 24, 2019 at 3:43 PM Post #14 of 56
Hey Jimmy Ohnm...Fantastic in what way?...compared to what dac?....I just made an offer on a used one.....and im sending back My Superb Audio Mirror Tubadour 3 Dac back to vlad for the maxed out revision...One member in our group had is AM3 Maxed by Vlad and sounded great....Compard to my stock...More Detail..Mini & macro...Better bass.....more meat on the bones with a wider deeper soundsatge!....That maxed version new is about $2200 new....As i stated b 4 the stock version made me sale my ygggy 2 and wouuld never go back....its a great dac...just to bold and relentless in my system to the point i couldnt wait to shut it Down!!!!!

Jul 24, 2019 at 3:50 PM Post #15 of 56
Hey Jimmy Ohnm...Fantastic in what way?...compared to what dac?....I just made an offer on a used one.....and im sending back My Superb Audio Mirror Tubadour 3 Dac back to vlad for the maxed out revision...One member in our group had is AM3 Maxed by Vlad and sounded great....Compard to my stock...More Detail..Mini & macro...Better bass.....more meat on the bones with a wider deeper soundsatge!....That maxed version new is about $2200 new....As i stated b 4 the stock version made me sale my ygggy 2 and wouuld never go back....its a great dac...just to bold and relentless in my system to the point i couldnt wait to shut it Down!!!!!

Who's Vlad? Also, does your listening comprise of just headphones or do you have a full system as well?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back