"Pride and Joy" now has a real name
Dec 13, 2002 at 4:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

gdahl

100+ Head-Fier
I have finally chosen a name for my tube headphone amp: Espressivo.

HPamp1.JPG

The web page has also been updated with some new information:

http://www.nutshellhifi.com/gary

I chose the name "Espressivo" because that is the term found in a musical score when the composer is asking the musician to play with particular sensitivity, beauty and expressiveness.

I should also admit the other reason I like the name: I really like good espresso (which is hard to find around here, even in the Seattle area), enough that I have a commercial WEGA espresso machine in my home. For the good stuff, try http://www.espressovivace.com.

Dec 13, 2002 at 7:53 PM Post #3 of 24
I would have named her "Myrtle"
wink.gif

(I name all my cars with girl names. My friends never could understand what I meant when I said that "I'm taking Mabel for a ride...")

Dec 13, 2002 at 7:54 PM Post #4 of 24
Hmmm, a small expreso machine might be a good add on for some of the bigger amps though.. "No, no, don't plug your phones into THAT one!"

Dec 15, 2002 at 3:39 AM Post #5 of 24
Gary are you going to do a headphone review soon? I'm curious what you think of the AT W100's and At W1000's. I know for sure the Sennhieser HD600's are best though.
evil_smiley.gif

Dec 17, 2002 at 12:33 AM Post #7 of 24
very, very nice. Can I ask about your input placement? Was that the only way to keep the input a resonable distance away from the potentiometer?

Dec 17, 2002 at 1:46 AM Post #8 of 24
Hi andrzejpw,

I struggled for quite awhile with the placement of the inputs jacks. Some of the priorities were to:

1. Keep the signal path short.
2. Keep the signal path away from the power supply.
3. Keep the distance between the input jacks, volume attenuator and the grid pins of the 3A/167M's as short as possible.

The TL-404's occupy the space on each side of the front--you can see the heads of their mounting screws on top. The DACT selector is on the left, and is used to choose the tap having the desired output impedance. The other knob, to the right of the output jacks, is the DACT stepped attenuator.

In the picture, there are two output jacks. One is 1/4", and the other is a mini. Since the picture was taken, I have replaced the mini with a second 1/4" jack. They are connected in parallel, so two headphones (of similar impedance) can be used simulaneously.

There really isn't enough room on the front panel to have the input jacks there, with everything else in place. I could have moved the TL-404's back a bit, but I was trying to keep them away from the power supply, while also keeping the signal path tight. In actual use, I have been very happy with the top-mounted RCA jacks. The interconnects are of course on the rear of my source component, and can easily reach the top of the amp. It would be more awkward to bring them all the way around to the front. And the back was out of the question because of the power supply.

Dec 17, 2002 at 3:38 AM Post #9 of 24
Quote:

Originally posted by Dan H
Gary are you going to do a headphone review soon? I'm curious what you think of the AT W100's and At W1000's. I know for sure the Sennhieser HD600's are best though.
evil_smiley.gif

I'm not gonna take the bait. You heard my W1000's and your HD600's at my house yesterday. So...what did you think?
very_evil_smiley.gif

Dec 17, 2002 at 3:58 AM Post #10 of 24
Quote:

Originally posted by gdahl
I should also admit the other reason I like the name: I really like good espresso (which is hard to find around here, even in the Seattle area), enough that I have a commercial WEGA espresso machine in my home. For the good stuff, try http://www.espressovivace.com.

Already tried Kimbo ? A strong aggressive taste but sooo good.

Dec 17, 2002 at 7:25 AM Post #11 of 24
Quote:

Originally posted by gdahl
I chose the name "Espressivo" because that is the term found in a musical score when the composer is asking the musician to play with particular sensitivity, beauty and expressiveness.[/url]

Headphone amp narcissism?
wink.gif

Dec 17, 2002 at 4:47 PM Post #14 of 24
Gary:

Cafe Yaucono is a great tasting Puerto Rican coffee. It is not expensive, and you can buy it online. I suggest you buy the regular coffee, not the premium types. Right now, this coffee has 40% of the local market. Meaning? It's excellent! BTW, it's an expresso type of cofffee.

http://www.yaucono.com/

BTW, the coffee beans produced here are different from the ones produced by Colombia, Brazil and Central America. It is a strong coffee with a taste of its own. American tourists love it!

Dec 17, 2002 at 9:42 PM Post #15 of 24
wallijonn:

Am I the only one reminded of Gomer Pyle and "Charlene"?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back