Pricing for Audio Technica AT HA-21 and Denon AH-C710
Jul 8, 2013 at 7:03 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

xCheckmate

New Head-Fier
Hey! I've been lurking around for a while but this is my first post on Head-Fi. (whoops, realized it wasn't. lol)

Anyways, I've been looking around for IEMs for portable use, as well as an amp (or amp/dac combo) for desktop use. I plan on using the amp primarily with my pair of HD558 but I also own a set of Alessandro MS1 and Audio Technica M50. I listen to all kinds of music: Jpop, rock, classical, trance...

Today, I spent pretty much the whole morning at a store here in Taiwan. The salesperson at the store told me that the HA-21 is a very new product on the international market, so there aren't too many reviews, but that it received various awards and positive reviews in Japan where it's been available for a while. I haven't been able to find this online though. I've also never used an amp before, so I'm not too sure if this is actually that good of an amp. I was able to hear a clear increase in SQ from my unamped HD558s, however.

The guy offered me the amp and the Denon AH-C710 for $10000 NT which translates to about $330 USD. Of course, he told me that this is a good deal, but I want to confirm this with you guys. I haven't been able to find much in terms of pricing for either of these items online, so I decided to make this post. Also, should I be concerned that he's selling me discontinued IEMs?

Alternatively, if anyone has recommendations for similarly priced products (a little more than $100 IEM and ~$200 amp), I'd appreciate such suggestions. Thanks in advanced!

Jul 11, 2013 at 1:36 PM Post #2 of 4
Hi there, I dunt recommend HA-21, especially for those who would upgrade their audio system later. If you could listen these in the store, just try these and make your own decision.

Personally, I would recommend Sony PHA-1 (~$350) for both portable and desktop use, and you can find many reviews on that.

BTW, HA-21 is not a new product. I posted a thread here long time ago but received no responds... Guess just very few people bought it....

Jul 11, 2013 at 1:41 PM Post #3 of 4
I also don't recommend an old C710. It has the thinnest cable Ive seen on a IEM which always scarred me when I had them. Plus when I sold them over a year ago it was for $50. Look for better stuff.

Jul 12, 2013 at 1:35 AM Post #4 of 4
Thanks for the advice guys.

The Sony PHA-1 is a bit more expensive of an amp and dac combo than what I was looking for, but I have read positive reviews about it. I'm also not buying an amp for portable use, so I don't really want to spend the extra money for the battery and smaller size of a portable amp. Are there any (slightly cheaper) desktop amps I could look into? Or, could you direct me to a thread or somewhere I could read up on headphone amp recommendations? I haven't really been able to find too much information about amps and dacs.

I was also kind of concerned about the cable with the C710s, especially since I sleep with my headphones on occasionally. Thanks for the warning; I'll look for something else with a similar in-your-face sound signature.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back