...priceless (56k warning)
Jul 28, 2006 at 3:41 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

omendelovitz

Member of the Trade: Purity Audio
When I started this journey down a head-fi way, I was but a young, bright eyed doe, staring into the wallet abyss known as audiophiledom. My first (and fatal) mistake started the day I bought these cans...then the modding began:

Price of 1 pair SR-125 headphones - $199...
sr125lj3.jpg

Mesh price - $10...damping material price - $25...
dscn8201sg8.jpg

recabling price - $20...
dscn8198er8.jpg

old Grado 325 aluminum shells - $50...
dscn8212hm0.jpg

Having the best Sounding prestige series headphones ever made (IMHO)... Priceless

I call them the SR-1000. For everything else, there's mastercard[size=xx-small]tm[/size]
gs1000.gif

[size=xx-small]Fine Print: no headphones were unnecessarily harmed in the modding of these cans; mastercard is a trademark of mastercard; all prices in Canadian dollars unless otherwise noted.[/size]

Jul 28, 2006 at 12:20 PM Post #5 of 16
thanks for the support, everyone. I have to say, that in the beginning, I thought that only the esthetics of the headphones would change (I assumed most of the sound was driver based) - I can gladly say however, that my assumption was wrong. All three mods effected very specific and (and luckily desirable) changes in the sound of these cans. I approve of these mods wholeheartedly. I will post the sound change benefits mod-by-mod next chance I get.

Jul 29, 2006 at 2:52 AM Post #7 of 16
I copped a deal with another head-fier who had some spare housings. You can put up a wtb thread in the FS/FT forum and wait to hear from someone.

Jul 29, 2006 at 3:01 AM Post #9 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by HiGHFLYiN9
What were you using for damping?

dynamat extreme - it's a butyl rubber compound. It's great at refining the separation b/w instruments and reducing boominess in the bass. It adds a little bit extra 'blackness' inbetween notes and instruments.

Jul 29, 2006 at 3:15 AM Post #11 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by gigit
nice mods, i think ill try some of that on my SR-225s
biggrin.gif

you won't regret it. Given the drivers are 225's, they should sound even better than I assume mine do right now.

Jul 29, 2006 at 3:22 AM Post #12 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by omendelovitz
you won't regret it. Given the drivers are 225's, they should sound even better than I assume mine do right now.

Sounds good but i have 2 questions

1. Maybe im missing something but how/where did you use the damping material?
and
2. What type of cable did you use for the recable? I have recabled my Grados twice and am looking to do it one last time

Jul 29, 2006 at 3:26 AM Post #13 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by gigit
Sounds good but i have 2 questions

1. Maybe im missing something but how/where did you use the damping material?
and
2. What type of cable did you use for the recable? I have recabled my Grados twice and am looking to do it one last time

damping goes on the back of the driver (metal 'button' in the middle - see my pics above);

recable is starquad - a little on the bassy side, but as clean as copper gets.

Jul 29, 2006 at 3:30 AM Post #14 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by omendelovitz
damping goes on the back of the driver (metal 'button' in the middle - see my pics above);

recable is starquad - a little on the bassy side, but as clean as copper gets.

Cool, thanks I had thought thats where the dampening material went, as for the starquad, thats what I used for my first recable, so I might try going for it again
tongue.gif

Jul 29, 2006 at 8:55 AM Post #15 of 16
Very nice. I'm just wondering about what kind of damping material you used.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back