Price spikes in lots of the expensive, discontinued cans?
Aug 27, 2007 at 9:30 PM Post #16 of 65
$2075.99 for these HP2s.
basshead.gif

http://cgi.ebay.com/Grado-Signature-...QQcmdZViewItem

Aug 27, 2007 at 9:32 PM Post #17 of 65
I'm sure a few of us were watching the last HP-2 auction on the unnamed auction site, which ended a minute ago:

Sold to ________ for US $2,075.99.

(edit: I always like to post redundantly, y'know ;-}

Aug 27, 2007 at 9:32 PM Post #18 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by braillediver /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What's funny is most of the high-end discountinued headphones didn't sell well when they were available. K1000's for instance or the PS-1's which sold at 2 pair a month. It wasn't until the headphones were discontinued and officially "No Longer Available" that the prices went up.

The thing to be looking for are the next up and coming desirable headphones.

Mitch

2 pairs a month for the PS1 being the number todd was allowed to sell...

Aug 27, 2007 at 10:26 PM Post #20 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by OverlordXenu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just like automatic weapons. An automatic weapon that cost a couple thousand dollars in the early 80's is now more along the lines of $10,000 or more.

To be fair, this is slight different. Automatic weapons registered before the assault weapons ban are still legal to trade. There are also private security firms that are buying these up for functional purposes for their employees. These are not really a luxury items.

P.S., if you believe in this theory, and trade commodities, you might want to buy some Mercury. Almost all the easily accessable supplies are depeleated, and there doesn't look to be much hope for new ones opening up. Even with RoHS there simply is no substitute for certain applications and the supply is going into crunch mode sometime in the next decade.

Aug 27, 2007 at 10:28 PM Post #21 of 65
Really, you don't know what something is worth until you can't have it anymore. I was on the line for months about the R10, and now that I can't really get it anymore I am kicking myself. Same with many of the other super-premium headphones.

I'm not going to make the same mistake with the HD580/600 if they stop tooling them. The 650's really don't do it for me, and many others seem to be in the same camp.

Aug 27, 2007 at 10:45 PM Post #23 of 65
Could this also suggest that elitism has something to do with it? It would seem that there are no in production headphones that can match the allure of those out of production headphones for some.

It could be that those out of production headphones are simply enjoyed that much more by a few and when they speak about them results in those headphones moving into another realm (I will let you consider what realm that may be) when compared with in production units.

Aug 27, 2007 at 10:47 PM Post #24 of 65
I think it might also have to do with that fact that people get sticker shock when looking at the high-end cans, and want to get them for less, used, instead. And once they're discontinued because no one is buying new ones, the price skyrockets.

Aug 27, 2007 at 10:51 PM Post #25 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by OverlordXenu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Chu - I was saying that old automatic rifles went up in price that much due to the "ban" in 1984 (or was it later?).

Gun laws in general are a mess. I'm pretty sure the original ban (was it 1984?) got rid of all automatics, but with loopholes for modified weapons, the latter (1994? 6? hard to remember) pretty much closed all of them.

Then you have the mangle of state laws that are even more tangled. Such a mess.

Aug 28, 2007 at 12:11 AM Post #26 of 65
It's supply and demand, yes, but there is a bit more to it than that.

Head-fi as a whole takes most of the blame. All of the threads advertising headphone sales on ebay, all of the FOTM threads blowing the virtues of certain headphones completely out of proportion, and all of the people who're willing to grab a second or third pair of vintage headphones that they don't really need and getting into massive bidding wars for it are the ones largely responsible for the current situation.

I'm sorry if I sound bitter, but that's because I really am bitter. I think that a lot of the behavior that goes on here is very objectionable, and I would start with deleting any and all ebay links from anything but the F/S forums. I'm not even going to get into what I think is good F/S forum etiquette...

P.S. No offense to anyone specifically, I'm just being honest and saying what I feel.

Aug 28, 2007 at 12:50 AM Post #27 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by catscratch /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's supply and demand, yes, but there is a bit more to it than that.

Head-fi as a whole takes most of the blame. All of the threads advertising headphone sales on ebay, all of the FOTM threads blowing the virtues of certain headphones completely out of proportion, and all of the people who're willing to grab a second or third pair of vintage headphones that they don't really need and getting into massive bidding wars for it are the ones largely responsible for the current situation.

I'm sorry if I sound bitter, but that's because I really am bitter. I think that a lot of the behavior that goes on here is very objectionable, and I would start with deleting any and all ebay links from anything but the F/S forums. I'm not even going to get into what I think is good F/S forum etiquette...

P.S. No offense to anyone specifically, I'm just being honest and saying what I feel.

Yes it's painfully obvious this is the case.

For me it's beyond humorous to see the same people chime in each time this subject is brought up playing their denial based willfull ignorance card pretending that "the head-fi effect" does not exist. Humorous because I fail to believe anyone is that stupid, hence their behavior of posting auction links can only be interpreted as instigation. Some people just can't live day to day without getting in to other people's business.

Aug 28, 2007 at 1:10 AM Post #29 of 65
fyi, there was no dedicated thread on that recent HP2 and to my knowledge a link to it was only posted once, buried in a longer thread on another headphone. i'm not saying that head-fi doesn't have an effect on these prices (i don't know that it does either), but my point is that there are other people who buy these high-end headphones that are not part of the head-fi community.

Aug 28, 2007 at 1:30 AM Post #30 of 65
"people who're willing to grab a second or third pair of vintage headphones that they don't really need"

That's funny- who are you to decide what any one needs?

And yes your bitterness is evident and will eat you alive.

Mitch

Users who are viewing this thread

Back