Price shock UK vs US
Apr 10, 2009 at 3:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

Jolly Bodger

Head-Fier
I am looking for a cheap alternative to my PX100s which are just a bit bulky to carry around when not in use. So I've been looking at a few reviews and decided on trying some Nuforce NE-7Ms. Price in US $49 in the UK £70 thats equivalent of $99 at todays exchange rate. In comparison Shure SE110 US $90 UK £50. There is no way I'm going to pay double for the NE-7Ms someone is obviously making a killing on these.

So I'm still looking for a reasonably priced IEM alternative to the PX100s - any suggestions?

JB

Apr 10, 2009 at 4:48 PM Post #4 of 20
I don't understand Sennheiser's pricing at all. You guys are charged way too much for the PXs, while we Americans have to bend over just to listen to the IE series. What's worse is the product line here has a huge gap between the CX400-II, which has an MSRP of $95, and the IE6 which retails for $249. It's just utterly pathetic, and this is coming from a Sennheiser fan. [/rant]

Apr 10, 2009 at 4:52 PM Post #5 of 20
My budget is about £50-£80 ($70-$115) I think thats enough to risk on my first IEMs although if I can get on with them I'll be happy to upgrade later.

Sound sig is more difficult. I like bass but it must be controlled not 'boomy' or 'muddy'. The music I listen to is extremely varied - vocal (Leonard Cohen, Mindy Smith, Nat King Cole, Amy Winehouse, Duffy), Pop/Rock (Queen, Beatles, Status Quo, ELO) and Classical (mainly light popular). There is very few musical genres that I don't listen to at some time or other. Finding something to cover that lot should be easy enough lol.

JB

Apr 10, 2009 at 5:30 PM Post #7 of 20
The money going towards the D10 would probably have been better spent on some top of the line IEMs/some very good IEMs and a nice amp. Here you have an excellent portable amp but you are only willing to spend about $100 on the IEMs, which is pretty much entry-level.

Apr 10, 2009 at 11:46 PM Post #9 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Calexico /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The money going towards the D10 would probably have been better spent on some top of the line IEMs/some very good IEMs and a nice amp. Here you have an excellent portable amp but you are only willing to spend about $100 on the IEMs, which is pretty much entry-level.

The D10 is also going to be used in my office driving Audio Technica A900s from a computer source and as I said if I can get on with the IEMs I will upgrade later.

JB

Apr 11, 2009 at 10:48 AM Post #11 of 20
Hifi headphones UK sell iBasso products and they are quite expensive. They are selling these at $=£ conversion, so you're paying £100 for T4 and it's $100 on iBasso's website.

Apr 11, 2009 at 1:55 PM Post #12 of 20
Go for Some Denon AH-C551's, bass, is very controlled and deep. They'll shock you the first time you listen to them. They are also within your budget.

xx

Apr 11, 2009 at 2:13 PM Post #13 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mayzei /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Go for Some Denon AH-C551's, bass, is very controlled and deep. They'll shock you the first time you listen to them. They are also within your budget.

xx

I'd go Jays s-Jays tbh.

they are rocking bass.

Funny enough, the s-Jays are cheaper in Europe than in the US

There is a seller on Ebay UK who is selling them for about 42 pounds including shipping = below 50 Euro!!
I rate them far better than the Denon c551's tbh.
Remember though, they need burn-in and the bass only gets better with burn-in.
If you listen to a lot of electronic-based music, the s-Jays would suit you perfectly.

Apr 12, 2009 at 4:28 PM Post #14 of 20
It's a matter of TAX, the UK government place an import tax on so called white goods which of course hikes up the price. Or so I read somewhere or other!

Apr 12, 2009 at 4:42 PM Post #15 of 20

Users who are viewing this thread

Back